Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#173501 - 05/19/09 01:11 AM One person, one week, one box
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've mentioned my "war box" a few times. Not sure why I call it that, it is just that is what it was called in my family when I was growing up. Oddly enough, not a single round or blade is in the silly thing.

Instead, it is a week of food. I use a 10 gallon tote, but doesn't have any water in it. I've also added a few cold and flu type preps to it.

6x Rice, pouched, asst (Lipton)
6x Instant potatoes, pouched, asst (Idahoan)
1x stuffing, bagged
1x 1qt couscous
2x spam singles
1x pepperoni, sandwich slices, 6oz
1x salami, sandwich slices, 6oz
2x ham, 5oz
1x turkey, 5oz
1x chicken, 5oz
1x beef w/ gravy, 12 oz
2x granola, pound
1x peanut butter, pound
4x vegitables, canned, asst (thinking of swapping these out for 6-8 smaller sized cans)
2x chili, canned
2x cheddar cheese, processed, 8oz
2x swiss cheese, processed, 8oz
1x pepper jack, processed, 8oz
1x Ritz, box
1x Oreo, package
6x Kleenex, small
2x hand sanitizer, 2oz
2x bath wipes, 60ct
1x butane, cannister
1x match case
14x Emer'gen'C electrolyte packets, asst
1x tea, box
1x sugar cubes, box
1x TruLemon/TruLime, asst, box
14x light sticks ($1 for the lot, rave quality, but enough that I can put one on the back of the toilet every day for a week)
1x toothbrush
1x toothpaste, small
1x Ricola, bag
1x Altoids, ginger, tin (anti-nausea)

This is along with my pantry (I always have a week or more of food on hand, less lunch), my "deep pantry" (spare ramen, cous cous, pasta, and several 1qt bottles of Gatorade that were on sale), spare camp food, and BoB's stuff (a week of camp food). I also always have batteries on hand, plus my camping gear, and a 7 gallon water container. And my Nalgenes are usually stored "loaded".

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#173503 - 05/19/09 01:21 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: ironraven]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
What is a "10 gallon tote"? Is it a cooler?

#173507 - 05/19/09 03:09 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
It needs a jar of Nutella.

-Blast, who has become addicted to Nutella.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#173510 - 05/19/09 03:35 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Blast]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
sounds like a fair pile of chow.what do you expect to have to use it for in your neck of the woods--storm??.quake??

#173511 - 05/19/09 04:26 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Seriously lacking in chocolate and vitamin C.

Sue

#173512 - 05/19/09 05:40 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Susan]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
How many people are you feeding from that box, thats a load of food for one week.
Guess the title says it all, you are one hungry guy.

Edited by frediver (05/19/09 05:12 PM)

#173513 - 05/19/09 09:59 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: MoBOB]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Rubbermaid box, although mine isn't Rubbermaid.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#173514 - 05/19/09 10:11 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: frediver]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

CD- it is a bug in box. Any reason I might need to bug in. smile

Susan- Chocolate is why I have Oreos. Vitamin C is from the Emergen'C- 1000mg per packet. What I am low on is vitamin D and K.

Frediver- Like the title says, one person. That is, per day, one can/pouch of meat, 4 oz of cheese, two pouches of rice/potatoes or a bowl of dressing, a bowl of granola, half a tube of ritz, and a few oreos. Not life boat rations, sure, but if I'm bugging in, I'm either sick (which will make this last longer) or we've had a helluva storm, which means I'm helping dig out.

#173537 - 05/19/09 06:20 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: ironraven]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Looks like a pretty good amount and variety to me but I'd have to give up the Spam, I can't stand that stuff. Are all the meat products canned?

What about the Lifecaps...?

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#173542 - 05/19/09 07:39 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: ironraven]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some dietry fibre might be worthwhile by including some oats, wheat bran, lentils etc and a couple cans of Prunes, Pears or Peaches.

#173543 - 05/19/09 08:24 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Y'know, it's amazing how some of the foods I wouldn't normally consider particularly palatable somehow turn into ambrosia when I haven't eaten anything substantial in a few days. Spam turns into such a food on about day 2. Ants become yummy on day 4. Armadillo needed slightly more than 10 days of starvation, and grubs (more than one anyways) will take me about 8 days I reckon. Beyond two weeks I figure I would eat my own guts.

#173554 - 05/20/09 01:25 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: benjammin]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A big box of Quaker Oats would add in some fiber and significant calories. Good fuel to have before you start digging out. It takes me weeks to eat a box from Costco.

No food beats white rice for when ill. It's pretty much the easiest food there is to eat and not have leave your disgestive track prematurely.

#173572 - 05/20/09 05:27 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Dan_McI]
LED Offline
Veteran

I'm a huge oats fan. Does granola have oats in it? Only asking cause he listed granola.

#173586 - 05/20/09 04:32 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: ironraven]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I like that list. Did I miss the can opener in the box? I know we all carry one, but having a spare seems a good idea. Anything to combine ingredients in, serve in, eat with and from?

I know someone who's elderly father was in one of the Florida hurricanes and survived fine, but he couldn't eat a whole can's worth of anything and had no refrigeration after the power went out, so single-serving cans began to seem like a good idea if you live alone.

Have you tried cooking all this over a week's time with one can of butane (you don't give its size). Louise and I cook three squares a day for the two of us at Burning Man for a week, and we go through two full ones plus start a third of those small screw-in cans for a Coleman stove.

One of our advantages is that we get to bug in for a week at Burning Man every year, so our bug in box has menus and selections that are tried and true. Because there's nothing at Burning Man except what you bring, we've learned to bring spares of almost everything. That's why I'd have additional can openers, stoves, and other items we consider essential.

I think your list is much more practical than the "5 pounds of flour, 5 pounds of corn mean, 5 pounds of dried beans" type lists.

#173599 - 05/20/09 09:20 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: ironraven]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
My tip for possible addition would be vacuum-packed Italian gnocchi. They take only few minutes (I guess 2-3) to boil and they are delicious.

#173603 - 05/20/09 10:00 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: LED]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, my granola has oats in it. That is the only way I'll eat them unless it is those or death.

#173643 - 05/21/09 01:21 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: philip]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: philip

One of our advantages is that we get to bug in for a week at Burning Man every year, so our bug in box has menus and selections that are tried and true.

Have you shared this list with us before philip? If so, please provide a link. If not, please provide the list! I think we all could definitely benefit from your experience. I certainly could!

#173655 - 05/21/09 04:38 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Still_Alive]
philip Offline
Addict

Well that's very kind of you, but our menu changes annually because we get tired of the same old crap. :-> It's similar to ironraven's list, which is why I like his list, of course. From my point of view our advantage is not that we have a list but that we have the experience from an annual trip where we had to bring every thing we need and live with the results. That's what will happen after the big earthquake or pandemic when we either are stranded or have to isolate ourselves.

Neither of us has any cooking skills, so we don't rely on going to the pantry (or bug in box), seeing what we've got and coming up with a meal - We do one menu for each meal, then we buy based on the menus. Then we put the contents for each meal in a plastic bag with the recipe for that meal. It's way over-organized for real life, but it's amazing how aggravating it is trying to search through a box in a hot van in 100 degree heat for the hearts of palm. Having each meal in its own bag with the recipe saves marriages and mayhem when you're under stress. We rotate out of our bug in box to the Burn box, so nothing gets stale (and we camp other times during the year, so we actually use our menus pretty much year round).

I realize there are lots of people who can go to their pantry, see 5 lbs of flour, a can of soup, three sticks of beef jerky and come up with a gourmet meal. Louise and I have no clue, so we pick recipes we like, substitute canned chicken for whatever cooked chicken was called for (or canned beef or whatever), and off we go.

And I think that's the key to a real survival situation: we've got familiar recipes we know how to cook, and everything we need is right there in the bag.

Seriously, if I were in a survival situation and I opened up the box and there's a bag of white flour, a bag of wheat flour, a bag of corn meal, a bag of corn flour, a bag of rice, and a bag of elbow macaroni, I'd have no clue what to do with it. (Well, if you throw a teaspoon or so of flour on an open flame you get fun sparks and fire, but macaroni just chars, so that's no fun at all.)

#173674 - 05/21/09 11:37 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: philip]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

There is a P-38 duct taped to the inside of the lid. Not to mention the can openers in my SAKs, Leathermen and about 30 more P-38s scattered about.

As for something to cook in/with, this lives next to the box with the camping/bug out gear, and if this leaves the house, BoB is going with. There are also two more canisters (one full Coleman screw on, one partial) on the shelf with my other camping gear. I've got bowls, pots, mess tins and a few coffee cans that are organizing webbing and cordage that just need to be cleaned with canned air. :P

#173700 - 05/23/09 10:07 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Blast]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Blast

You didn't notice the shocking omission of any bourbon! I'm sure there's a bottle of MM in there somewhere. wink

#173710 - 05/23/09 06:02 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: 7point82]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY

#173761 - 05/25/09 03:49 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Overload Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado
Wouldn't a lot of the items spoil?:

1x 1qt couscous
1x pepperoni, sandwich slices, 6oz
1x salami, sandwich slices, 6oz
2x ham, 5oz
1x turkey, 5oz
1x chicken, 5oz
1x beef w/ gravy, 12 oz
2x cheddar cheese, processed, 8oz
2x swiss cheese, processed, 8oz
1x pepper jack, processed, 8oz

Overload in CO

#173818 - 05/26/09 05:26 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Overload]
philip Offline
Addict

It depends on how their packages. My assumption with the couscous is that it's the uncooked grain in a box with a sealed envelope. shrug - it's got an expiration date, but we all do. Just rotate.

As for the pepperoni and salami, that's like any other sausage or jerky - sealed in a vacuum bag and pretty much ageless. Ham, turkey, chicken, beef by the 5 oz or foil pack? I think that's a single serving size and it'll have an expiration a few years off.

The cheese I don't know about. I'm not in to cheese.

I figure those who know would whip up a quick quiche. :->

#173834 - 05/26/09 10:17 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: philip]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Pretty much Philip, although coucous is actually a pasta, not a grain. (Teeeny, tiny pasta- it is a commonly assumed to be a grain, no worries.) Stored in an air tight container (like a Nalgene with a little salt for a desiccant) it will last as long as any other pasta or macaroni product- the evening before the end of the universe. :P

The cheeses are shelf stable, vacume packed, and processed, it has the same texture and most of the shelf life of velveeta. They are marked best by 12/09. They will get swapped November and eatten no later than New Years Eve. The salami and pepperoni are packed the same way, best by 10/09, and will be rotated out in September and used no later than Halloween probably. (Yes, I go to New Years and Samhain get togethers with stuff rotated out of my survival stash- most of my friends do it, so we get some pretty odd potluck. smile Fruit cake is forbidden at my friends' Beltane, though.)

The beef is canned in Brazil, and I've given it a use-or-destroy two years after the date it was canned. My other meats are US or Canadian packed, and they have best by dates for '11 or '12.

Everything with a best by date has it marked on the inventory sheet, which is in a sleeve on the top of the tote, and is rotated out no later than one month before that date.

#174252 - 06/03/09 04:21 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: ironraven]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Ironraven,

I may have missed it but, what about vitamins?

Stuff other than vitamin C, I realize that one week of no vatamins will not hinder ones abilities to perform work. I only mention it because I have recently begun taking a multivitamin and have noticed a lowered feeling of stress in stressful situations.

-Joe

#174323 - 06/04/09 12:00 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Joseph13]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Joe, I've got 14 Emergen'C packets in there. It has been a LONG time since I was sick enough to not be able to handle one of those, in a quart of water with a little extra sugar, once or twice a day.

When I'm healthy, one of those dissolved in a 20oz Mt Dew (green, red or blue) is the only way I can face the start of the day.

#174335 - 06/04/09 07:29 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: ironraven]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Ironraven,

Looked at your link after remembering my wife has a box of same in pantry. Forgive my ignorance of the supplement facts on the back of the packets/website.

-Joe

#174342 - 06/04/09 01:43 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: benjammin]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
If you ever catch a live armadillo, put it in a 55 gallon drum and feed it maize for a month. Then kill it and roast it as you would roast a piglet. They are delicious! They are carrion eaters, that's why they taste so awful when you try to eat them as found in the wild.

#174343 - 06/04/09 02:25 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: GauchoViejo]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
around here we put carp in a tub of fresh water and do the same thing to get the "mud"out---

#174380 - 06/05/09 03:41 AM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: CANOEDOGS]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Feed the carp to the armadillo...use the maize to make some corn bread and give yourself a pat on the back for being smart enough to know that some things aren't meant to be eaten...;^)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#175335 - 06/26/09 06:33 PM Re: One person, one week, one box [Re: Blast]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Blast

Gonna have to stop buying it like us wink L O L. We started using it all over.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.