The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#173459 - 05/18/09 04:22 PM Leatherman Can Opener Operation
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin

Should a Leatherman can opener be used clockwise or counter-clockwise?

It seems like a silly question. My 'original' Boy Scout knife (1970's Camillus) can opener has a straight (not bent) small bottom tooth, but on the Leatherman Wave & Charge the small tooth is bend to the side.

I tend to open cans clockwise (can on the left side of the blade), but when I look at the LM the small lower tooth is bent to one side and it looks like it might work better going counter-clockwise (can on the right side of the blade).

I can open a can clockwise fairly well, but wonder if the tooth was designed to be used counter-clockwise. I tried doing it counter-clickwise, but it felt so clumsy I went back to doing it clockwise.

#173472 - 05/18/09 06:39 PM Re: Leatherman Can Opener Operation [Re: KenK]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i think clockwise is correct. i compared the can opener on my Wave to my P-51, and the bevel goes the same way on both, so i reckon they're meant to go in the same direction.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#173505 - 05/19/09 01:42 AM Re: Leatherman Can Opener Operation [Re: Erik_B]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Typically, whatever feels natural for a right-handed person is the way something is done. As a lefty I have to adjust constantly.

#173525 - 05/19/09 03:24 PM Re: Leatherman Can Opener Operation [Re: KenK]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Clockwise in the northern hemisphere, counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.

#173531 - 05/19/09 04:19 PM Re: Leatherman Can Opener Operation [Re: nursemike]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Ohhhh, now I understand.

blush

#173697 - 05/23/09 12:46 AM Re: Leatherman Can Opener Operation [Re: KenK]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
This is the way it has always worked best for me when it comes to Leatherman can openers:

Can in left hand, can opener in right hand. Place can opener on right-side edge of can. Leverage can opener while turning can in a counter-clockwise direction.

Now, for swiss army knife can openers:

The blade portion of the can opener is on the front, so it seems to work better turning the can in a clock-wise direction. Still holding the can in the left hand, can opener in the right, placing the opener on the right edge of the can.

Basically, I always hold the can opener in my dominant hand, can in my non-dominant hand, place the can opener on the side that is easiest to reach with my dominant hand, and turn the can towards the sharpened edge of the can opener.

#173724 - 05/24/09 04:01 AM Re: Leatherman Can Opener Operation [Re: Paul810]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
Originally Posted By: Paul810
This is the way it has always worked best for me when it comes to Leatherman can openers:

Can in left hand, can opener in right hand. Place can opener on right-side edge of can. Leverage can opener while turning can in a counter-clockwise direction.

Now, for swiss army knife can openers:

The blade portion of the can opener is on the front, so it seems to work better turning the can in a clock-wise direction. Still holding the can in the left hand, can opener in the right, placing the opener on the right edge of the can.

Basically, I always hold the can opener in my dominant hand, can in my non-dominant hand, place the can opener on the side that is easiest to reach with my dominant hand, and turn the can towards the sharpened edge of the can opener.

Now that makes sense. Thanks for that.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.