Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#171185 - 04/12/09 09:26 PM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: CJK]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I just got an email from a friend asking about SIGG's Stainless Steel water bottles so I checked their site. I didn't even know these existed. They're called Steel Works by Sigg. The site shows all shapes and sizes, but I found even more from a few retailers online.

It looks like Kleen Canteen and others are still a few dollars cheaper though.

#171194 - 04/13/09 03:08 AM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: Nicodemus]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Siggs got a good size market share in bottles. Their Century bottle is really heavy. Not something I would want to lug around regardless of what i was carrying it in or on.

#171329 - 04/14/09 08:33 PM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: Arney]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Originally Posted By: Arney
I was just having a conversation with a coworker about her Kleen Kanteen the other day. She used to fill up her Nalgene from the chilled water cooler in the morning and sip from that at her desk throughout the day. She says that after she switched to the Kleen Kanteen, she thought that the water stayed cooler longer.

However, being uninsulated, I doubt that this would be the case in other situations, like strapped to the outside of your pack with the hot sun beating down on it.

Better still go to the local supermarket and buy a bottle of fizzy water, I like Kiwi Strawberry, and drink it and then use the bottle for water. The plastic used is tougher then the plastic used in a bottle of water, as they have to hold some pressure. Then just clean as need.
cheers

#171356 - 04/15/09 01:11 AM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: atoz]
Jakam
Unregistered

Walgreen's is selling (here in NorCal) stainless steel water bottles with cheapie d rings and plastic caps for $3.99, I bought 10 of them for what 2 kleen kanteens would cost, but let's see how they hold up.

#171371 - 04/15/09 04:10 AM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I have quite a few Nalgene bottles and Kleen canteens, some I've bought and never used. The ones I stick with now are 32oz clear Nalgene bottles and 18oz single-walled stainless Kleen canteens.

I like the Kleen canteens for belt carry, as they're a good size for that, and if it somehow ends up being the only water bottle I have, I can use it to boil water in.

The Nalgenes I like for general water carrying. Because they're clear with graduated markings it makes it easy to see exactly how much water you have left. This is great for cooking as well (measuring out water is easy).

I've also equipped the Nalgenes with Guyot designs "Firefly" lids. I find these seal better than the stock Nalgene lids and they have a neat little function of a built in flashlight that turns your water bottles into a dim lantern (or a so-so back-up flashlight if worst comes to worst).

I've tried camelbacks in the past, but I've never really had good luck with them, so I don't trust them.

Now, I also have a little 8oz single-walled stainless steel flask that I carry, usually filled with Booker's bourbon...but that's for another topic of discussion. grin

#171376 - 04/15/09 04:50 AM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: Paul810]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Paul,

After a tragic inner-pack plastic bottle explosion about 15 years ago I have carried my whisky in an aluminum fuel bottle ever since. Lately I have noticed that the interior of the bottle is corroding and stuff is floating in my hooch; aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory.

Any problems with alcohol (the drinking kind, not stove fuel) being stored in a stainless steel bottle, because aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory?

Thanks,

Mike

#171380 - 04/15/09 05:33 AM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: SwampDonkey]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hey Paul,

After a tragic inner-pack plastic bottle explosion about 15 years ago I have carried my whisky in an aluminum fuel bottle ever since. Lately I have noticed that the interior of the bottle is corroding and stuff is floating in my hooch; aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory.

Any problems with alcohol (the drinking kind, not stove fuel) being stored in a stainless steel bottle, because aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory?

Thanks,

Mike

Nope, nothing really. The steel can impart a slight metallic taste over time and it will build up pressure when it gets warmer (which is why I never fill it all the way up to the top), but otherwise it seems like alcohol can be left in there for a long time without ill consequences. I would say at least a few months.

With that said, if you plan on using a traditional flask, you do have to work to find a good one. Most of the ones you find in stores today are of poor quality. Either poorly soldiered/welded, poorly sealing (of the cap), or both. The better ones are less likely to leak and break, however they're tough to find and usually pretty expensive.

#171383 - 04/15/09 08:57 AM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: Paul810]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
There is something about cleaning stainless steel thermoses and water bottles we should all know, but might want a reminder about.
NO BLEACH!
The bleach eats the steel and causes perforations in it, like pinholes.

#171392 - 04/15/09 04:30 PM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: scafool]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I believe that Sigg, the maker of all those aluminum fuel bottles and now I guess water bottles used to recommend only using their anodized version for alcohol. The old rule was use the silver ones for your white gas and the red ones for your white lightning.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#171395 - 04/15/09 05:41 PM Re: Looking for a water bottle..... [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Okay, I'll admit it. I had to Google "LAPHROAIG"

Laphroaig 30 Year Old Single Islay Malt Scotch Whisky. The aroma, on pouring the 30 year old, gives an initial burst of sherry, the full profound depth and ...

Chris, I'll go camping with you any time. I'm not necessarily a scotch man, but I can recognize and appreciate style when I see it. grin

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.