Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#173307 - 05/14/09 05:59 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: Eugene]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Are there any places where you actually can get so far out that you can't get 911 anymore?"

grin Absolutely! While the eastern U.S. doesn't have many points over 3,500 ft, the terrain out here varies between 282 ft below sea level to over 20,000 ft, with nearly endless variations in between. If there is a hill or outcrop or mountain between your cell phone and the nearest tower, you are SOL for 911 or anything else. We have wilderness areas that measure in the millions of acres. You just don't have to go very far to find yourself out of cell phone range.

Anyway, I posted the original article because many people think their cell phone, GPS and PLBs will solve all their wilderness problems, and they won't.

Sue

#173310 - 05/14/09 06:26 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I should have worded that better, I know I can't get cell phone reception at my parents house in the valley but its not really all that far out there and if I just walk up a hill then you do get reception. I want to know are there any real places I can go camping without seeing and hearing someone else, places I have to setup my own camp, not park in a designated parking spot. places we actually can go explore a little bit.

#173311 - 05/14/09 06:36 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: Eugene]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Eugene:

YES!! there are definatly places that you can go and explore..

#173312 - 05/14/09 06:49 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: Tyber]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: Tyber
Susan:

In your post you stated " '...there is not yet any foolproof remedy for human error and a lack of luck.'" I feel compleled to respond that in my opinion there is a remedy,, regretably that remedy is death.

Pleae accepy my appology if I offend, but if the Urban dweller goes into a part of the world they know they shouldn't be in, during adverse conditions, I personaly say that is when the Darwin factor kicks in. We humans have services and people that directly block that "thinning" from happening by rushing out in the middle of the night, in a snow storm, to rescue the people who should have known better. Children, on the other hand, just don't know better. Children should be sought after and don't necesarly know when things are in over there head or when things have gone from "fun" to "life thretening"

I should add that I am one of those that rush out to help. Having done SAR in Alaska, Maine and Rescue in Mass, I was and will always bee one of those willing to help those that just don't think things through.

Hmm, that's not a remedy, that's a result....

#173313 - 05/14/09 07:13 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Isn't the urban environment more dangerous?

The point is that help is more accessible in the city than in the wilderness.

I can't get a cell signal 80 miles outside Washington, D.C. in route to Shenandoah National Park.

In the city, my cell phone works and 911 usually yields a quick result.

#173315 - 05/14/09 07:23 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: Eugene]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Are there any places where you actually can get so far out that you can't get 911 anymore? Maybe a few places out west but here on east of the USA there isn't that much land anymore.

I have Verizon cell service and lose the signal about 80 miles west of Washington, D.C. in route to the Shenandoah Mountains. In the Shenandoah, at 3700 feet, cell reception is the exception, not the norm.

That's why I so enjoy camping out there. Cell service has certainly improved over the years but it is my no means everywhere. Not by a long shot.

#173316 - 05/14/09 07:26 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: Dagny]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
When you are stripped of all your tools, all you have is your ability to adapt. Depending on anything other than yourself is putting you in harms way. Unfortunately, our society makes us dependent people-dependent on others, on gadgets, on almost everything. Case in point; I had to go survey a field yesterday for a parade this weekend. I sat down & drew a rough sketch of the field, where everything was laid out, etc. I put a North arrow pointing roughly in the northern direction. The two people with me we completely amazed I knew where north was "instinctively". I merely pointed out to them that the sun sets it the west...I sorta figured it out from there (it was almost 7PM at this point). Point of the story is, people are so reliant on everything else to get their information, they tune themselves out. Then, when the chips are down, they have no one to rely upon but themselves-and, sadly, at that point, no experience to draw upon.

#173317 - 05/14/09 07:33 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: oldsoldier]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
that's funny, cause finding north without gear wasn't even on the list of stuff i thought would get commented on while i was reading that.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#173318 - 05/14/09 07:33 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: oldsoldier]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
What burns my butt is this talk of luck.

An experienced backpacker goes into the woods for the weekend. He falls and breaks a leg in east no-place. Because he is experienced, he has the gear and the knowledge to survive this accident.

No luck involved. He sat down and made a plan and knew what to do if something like this happened. More importantly, he told other people what to do if he didn't show up by a certain time.

Everything is a matter of being prepared for the environment you are placing yourself in. Should you choose to live in a city, you learn the rules of the city. You know how to hail a cab, take a subway, where not to go. If you decide to leave the city without the requisite knowledge to survive outside your "comfort zone"... failure to plan.

Planning is an important part of any venture. Be it a trip to the 7-11 to get a quart of milk... better take my wallet, car keys, not too much money... or be it a trip to Alaska for a month... the same rules apply. Know your environment and the rules to survive in it.

#173319 - 05/14/09 08:20 PM Re: Tech vs Knowledge? Attitude? Determination? Luck? [Re: JBMat]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: JBMat
What burns my butt is this talk of luck.

Planning is an important part of any venture. Be it a trip to the 7-11 to get a quart of milk... better take my wallet, car keys, not too much money... or be it a trip to Alaska for a month... the same rules apply. Know your environment and the rules to survive in it.

Amen brother.

Sort of like the old Arnold Palmer quote - "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

Practice means thinking about it before, during and after to see if there are better or alternative ways to cope.

My favorite winter hiking area has no cell service and essentially no visitors.
That's why I leave a hike plan and timetable with my wife. And why I carry about 25# of Just In Case on my back.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.