Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#173094 - 05/11/09 01:53 AM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: Jeff_M]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I agree with Jeff- if everything is blaze orange and nuke green, I want to be someplace else. Ditto if everything is camouflage.

But for small, important stuff, nuke green and blaze orange and hot pink lanyards are really good. And I like glo-cord for tent lines and for lanyards on the absolutely critical stuff.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#173097 - 05/11/09 02:02 AM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: Jeff_M]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I like your thinking Jeff, seems to be the way I am heading.

I often tie a glow stick over my camp or at a lake landing so I can find my way back home in the dark (I did this at my bivouac last weekend).

I also carry one when hunting, at at kilsite I bend down a tall sapling and tie a glow stick to the top, then shoot it above the forest brush. This makes it much easier to find the location in the dark when I return to extract the carcass, by ATV, boat or with a partner.

The sapling trick also works in the daytime with a long piece of flagging tape, the tape then flutters in the breeze and is much more visible.

Mike

#173108 - 05/11/09 10:47 AM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: SwampDonkey]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
This has made me think a bit. I have a mix of colors, but the one that is interesting is my Sebenza - they come with a nice BLACK lanyard. I have reflective cord - I think I will replace the lanyard, as I could see dropping the sebbie, and not seeing it
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#173114 - 05/11/09 12:04 PM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: KG2V]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
everything I own is black,, I am not a huge fan of camo, and have a doubly sour taste for "real tree" camo.

Black I prefer becouse it is less noticiable and they are less likly to see what is on me or the clips in my pockets or on my belt.

Anything that is an "absolut must find" has a lanyard that has the scotch bright reflective stips braided into it.

When it comes to finding something that I have put down it is best to remmer that most of our equipment has straight edges and hard corners. This produces unatural shapes that are easier to find. So when I do the enevitable "where did I put..." I start looking for straight lines in black and I will find it normaly.

#173118 - 05/11/09 03:04 PM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: NightHiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My packs run the gambit. But I carry lots of color. I usually wrap yellow or orange duct tape around everything anyways.

#173119 - 05/11/09 03:04 PM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: NightHiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My packs run the gambit. But I carry lots of color. I usually wrap yellow or orange duct tape around everything anyways.

#173129 - 05/11/09 04:33 PM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: comms]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
I like green or brown for tents, packs, sleeping bag, bivy bag, etc. I usually wears some camo, a vest or jacket, hat, etc., and blue denim Wranglers, other clothing are usually earth-tones as those are the colors I like and wear every day. Small items like knife, flashlight, saw, compass, etc. I like to be bright colored, orange or yellow or white so I can find them easily if I drop them or don't remember where I laid them down (it happens more and more frequently).

#173137 - 05/11/09 06:44 PM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: EdD270]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Seems like I follow the majority here. My big items: tent, backpack, sleeping bag, all tend to be quieter colors - forest green, grey, etc. Some darker blues.

Small stuff I like to be a bit brighter: red SAK, yellow FAK. I bought some reflective line a few weeks ago. About a week later, I lost my Leatherman Micra in the lawn outside my girlfriend's place. I found it at 5am (on the way to work), only b/c I knew where it was and it's shiny metal. It now has a small cord fob on it.

If it's critical, it'll have something bright on it.

I do have a few GITD fobs (not tritium) that are sitting around, but maybe I'll add them to the backpack and maybe tent too.

#173180 - 05/12/09 01:59 PM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: MDinana]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I use all subdued color for all my outdoor gear, with the exception of small items (my field knife, for example, has a bright orange handle). The reflective cord is great for night-I have some on a couple of items, but plan on using it on almost anything I use manually-saw, knife, anything I pick up & put down. For camp though, I prefer to remain more naturally colored. Thats a personal preference, as I have ALWAYS done it. My tarp is green, my hammock is green, my pack is a Sabre 45-so its green, heck, even my Kifaru Woobie is green! But, I dont tend to lose those things. A fob made with the reflective cord is a great idea, and I am going to make one for my leatherman tonite.

#173230 - 05/13/09 03:42 AM Re: Outdoor Equipment Colour? [Re: Tjin]
raven Offline
Stranger

Loc: FL
on small things I like to warp yellow duck tape on it my fist aid kit, ligther,small knives,and anything eles

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.