Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#173101 - 05/11/09 03:11 AM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: SwampDonkey]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
You could press the issue. But what do you hope to gain? Just don't go there anymore if the policy bothers you, or if the way they enforced it bothered you. It doesn't sound like the lady was very nice per your description. But people with a bad attitude are nothing new, and you probably won't change them by complaining about it, you'll just give them an even worse attitude. There really is nothing to be gained for you here. I don't think there is a greater cause "men carrying bags" that will ultimately benefit. I'm not trying to make light of your experiece, but it was one lady in one movie theater. A lady that you probably don't want to interact with again. So don't. Just go to a different theater next time and save yourself the aggrivation.

#173115 - 05/11/09 01:56 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: ironraven]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
{ Ironraven, you said } Or does "reasonable" change when you have a beard rather than breasts?
[ sorry, I haven't figured out how to copy quotes in the neat way on this forum ]

Yes, I guess maybe "reasonable" does change, depending on appearance or perception.
Since men tend to be stronger and more aggressive than women, it seems natural for most people to be more cautious or concerned when "sizing up" an encounter or situation with a man. An attractive woman might have a bazooka in her purse; but would probably not attract the same attention as "that rough looking guy with the beard". [Just making a point, you're probably a very clean-cut guy, and not "rough" looking.]

Besides, as creative as this bunch around ETS is, we can probably come up with countless ways to carry the things that we need, in ways that could be more concealed (or non-threatening) in a retail/public environment.

I am not saying that manager handled your situation correctly. I too get very disgusted with persons that are rude, and I sympathize with your frustration in that regard.
I just think your time might be better spent in thinking of ways to avoid your EDC being perceived as a violation/threat; instead of pursuing satisfaction from being wronged by that person and/or the theatre policies.

#173123 - 05/11/09 03:27 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: Lon]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
As a constant movie goer I see all types of personal belongings brought in. I always take my EDC bag with me, though mine is an orange Mountain Hardware backpack. And admittedly I do bring in some soda and Dots, but I will usually buy a small popcorn to get me through the previews and satisfy my cravings.

Go to the HQ with a strongly worded letter. Expect no results. Other than that maybe try a different EDC bag...a clutch maybe.

#173127 - 05/11/09 04:23 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: comms]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've got a great comeback. If it were me, next time I would find a friend who trains dogs for the blind and ask to borrow one, then put on the dark glasses and go to the theater and see what they say. On the one hand, no one would want to challenge you on something like that, but then they have to reconcile why a blind man would go to a theater in the first place. Let's see how the manager would deal with that dilema. Take along a few friends with cell phone cameras and just in case she makes a big stink about it have them whip out the phones and act like they are videoing the whole thing. That would surely pickle her good.

Or you can just do like me and sneak everything in. Unless they do a pat-down, they aren't gonna even know to ask the question. Yeah, it doesn't address the obvious discriminatory aspects she presented you with, but I prefer to simply go around the obstacle if I can, unless I want to address the principle of the matter, which usually isn't worth my time anymore. Besides, it feels good to be able to get away with breaking their freakin' rules once in a while.

#173130 - 05/11/09 04:34 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So are you bothered that you can't carry the big bag like women carry a purse or that you can't have your full complement? I don't like carrying a big bag in a crowded theater/crowd. I go with just my pocket EDC so I can move faster, sometimes speed is life.

However, I dislike the discrimination of allowing women big purses and denying men the same size bag for stuff -- but that's how societal norms are and policy probably allows women's purses due to those norms where management may have preferred to deny all bags. If you can get a copy of their written policy it might be an interesting read.

#173131 - 05/11/09 05:01 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: Lono]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Lono
I think you're over-reacting. The manager was caught enforcing a vague no handbags policy, and gave up when you called her on it. While she is the manager she is probably not the source of the policy - she certainly wasn't the source of proper or equiptable enforcement. If you return to this theater you will probably not be called on the presence of your Jumbo again. I suggest continue going to the movies as you usually do, and if you get called out again for carrying your Jumbo, then take it up with whatever level of management you want.

fwiw the Jumbo is advertised as a great CCW pack, maybe the manager recognized it as such. If they had a no firearms policy, it would have been correct for her to point this out to you, and ask for any firearms to be kept outside the theater. (Since this is a purely hypothetical issue let's avoid the discussion of whether a public theater can or should enforce a ban on firearms).

JohnE, the ADA has nothing to do with this situation, he wasn't asking for an accomodation (seating for mobility impaired, assistance for hearing impaired etc) to view the movie.

No I am not over reacting. A no bags policy is a no bags policy. That's irrespective of race, creed, colour, sex, religion or sexual polarity. To permit a woman to bring her bag in and then tell a man that he may not is blatant discrimination. It's exactly the same as allowing a lady with long hair in but refusing to admit men unless they have short hair.

Any one does that to me and I will make it my business to hammer them.

#173132 - 05/11/09 05:19 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
There is minor discrimination everywhere. It's just not worth fighting against for the little piddly things IMHO.

If it's hot downtown and I decide to take my shirt off in the park, probably nobody would hassle me about it. Were a woman to do that, they would probably be asked to cease and desist by some authority.

Is it discrimination? Yep. Is it worth fighting over? Nope (IMHO). It's called "society norms".

#173142 - 05/11/09 07:08 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Leigh, please forgive me - I just noticed that my reply was addressed to your post, not to the original poster (ironraven). I meant to say that ironraven is over-reacting to this. I hadn't considered whether you are over-reacting or not, at all. Sorry about that.

My general point is that many cases of discrimination are transitory - a handbag policy may not be enforced often if at all. If the theater makes it their policy to prohibit handbags, they should do it for a good reason and do so consistently. No theater that I'm aware of does this though, and I don't think ironraven's theater is likely to do it if he goes back with his Jumbo to watch another movie. I do think that when someone does apply a policy you object to, its best to discuss it with that person or their manager, and not make more of the issue than what it appears to be. Threatening to sack a manager or cry discrimination doesn't really help anyone come to a reasonable conclusion. I don't think the basis for discrimination in this instance is related to race, creed, religion, etc etc, it is an inadequate and unenforceable policy on handbags, whoever carries them. In general I do not like to raise issues of discrimination unless the offense is repeatable and the impact is real. Otherwise we're left with the equivalent of that funny scene from The Holy Grail, where Dennis is creaming at King Arthur, "Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" ironraven watched his movie with his Jumbo pack - quite possibly the offense if there was one has already been corrected, by ironraven.

#173144 - 05/11/09 08:04 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: Lono]
Henry_Porter Offline

Reminds me of the "Pez Dispenser" episode of the Seinfeld tv sitcom where an old guy comments on inequality between female and male kangaroos:

"The male kangaroo doesn’t have a pouch; only the female has it. So the male has pouch envy.'Why should she have this huge pouch, and I have nothing? I have things to carry, too. At least give me a pocket.'"

Edited by Henry_Porter (05/11/09 11:23 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#173147 - 05/11/09 08:55 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: Henry_Porter]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
What, no one found my post funny? Is it monday? Jees!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.