The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#173028 - 05/10/09 01:58 AM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Thanks ki4buc. Good idea on the EM. I'll scour the local university and community college for programs.

#173050 - 05/10/09 03:01 PM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: MoBOB]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
EM isn't as prevalent as some other program, so you may have to look for programs that are online. Online is good in that you don't have to physically attend a campus, but it requires more discipline to get things done. They may appear to be flexible, but most programs have some sort of mandatory lecture time. You also could benefit with lower tuition.

#173107 - 05/11/09 10:29 AM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: MoBOB]
LoneWolf Offline

First, please allow me to say thanks for your service to our country.

In response to your question, I would suggest going to a local community college and making a visit to their career counseling department. I'm getting the feeling that you want to do something different but aren't quite sure what. Please correct me if I am wrong. I'm in a similar boat as you (although my career is not in the military). I am 47 as well and I have spent over 24 years as an electronics test engineer at my company and I just needed a change. Mid life crisis, boredom, you fill in the blank. smile I went to the local community college and took a very long interest and aptitudes survey. Turns out that I need a high tech kind of field with more people interaction. I chose nursing as the one to best fit the bill. I'm graduating one month from today with my degree. Based on my clinical rotations and how much I have enjoyed it, it was the right thing to do. Hope this helps.

LW

#173146 - 05/11/09 08:30 PM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: LoneWolf]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

LW,

Thank you for the kind words.

Your assumptions are correct. I am looking for a change. Right now I am looking at Physical Therapy Assistant through the local community college. Hands on, helping people, not too much time at a desk, not too much time on my feet. You get the idea.

I will visit the college for the aptitude survey. I'm sure it will turn up like the others I have taken. As long as it is not strictly administrative I usually get told "you can do anything you want". Therein lies the problem. I don't know what I really want to do if I grow up. Midlife crisis? Maybe.

Finally, congratulations on your upcoming graduation.

Again, thank you for the kind words.

Edited by MoBOB (05/11/09 08:32 PM)

#173825 - 05/26/09 06:22 PM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Here's an update.....

Too late for the PTA program. I'm going to the fallback option. I am going to take the Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) 1-year certificate course at a local college. Having been in the military I have been a round alot of non-English speakers and have managed to get thoughts across OK. I spent one whole military course (4-weeks) basically interpreting for a Turkish captain. He and I managed to pass the course. (He couldn't have failed anyway; he would have been shot or hung upon return for "disgracing his country".)

Since I already have my Master's I can just take the concentration courses and "attach" the certificate to my Master's. During the year I'll also try to set-up the other things for the PTA course.

Thanks to all for their encouraging words and great advice.

#180724 - 08/28/09 10:42 PM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Here's another update:

I am fully enrolled in the TESL certificate program. I suffered through Freshmen Orientation. They managed to jam 45 minutes of information into three hours and 45 minutes.

This course of study is going to stretch me quite a bit. One of my classes has to be independent study due to scheduling issues. The class is College-level TESL and Business Writing. One of the requirements is that I perform as a teaching assistant in Freshman Composition. My skills in regards to picking apart a paper are minimal to non-existent. My panic was growing by the second as spoke with the department chair this morning. I hope to be able to pull a strong C or possibly a weak B in the course. We'll see.

On another subject: I checked into an Emergency-Disaster Preparedness Management program at Elmira College in Elmira, NY. The college is about 50 miles away from me. I'll give it some consideration over the next year.

That is all for now.

#180738 - 08/29/09 12:43 AM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: MoBOB]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
If PT assistant is interesting, consider RN program. There are 18 month accelerated bsn programs (NYU has one) and programs that admit non-nursing bachelors degree folks directly into a masters program (pace university has one). There are external degree aas programs (excelsior college, empire college) that let you do it all at home-get a job as a patient care tech at a local hospital and the nurses will help. The fed is about to pour a ton of money into health care, or leave it be-either way, it will continue to be a huge market-nurses are less scarce in the current economy than when times were better, and will be scarce again. You can spend as much or as little time with a computer as you choose, and you have a direct track to an 'informatics nurse systems analyst' gig, and every health care org will want to hire one-

#180766 - 08/29/09 01:52 PM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: nursemike]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

nursemike,

Thank you for the input. I will see if Binghamton University has a program for non-majors. My goal is to be in-resident with my schooling. The new Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay me a living stipend if I am enrolled full-time in-residence for schooling. That is how I will be "employed" until the whole economy thing turns around a little. Again, thanks for the input and I will see what BU has available.

#190268 - 12/09/09 12:55 AM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Here is the latest...

I have managed to slog out the semester. Being a TA in Freshman Comp I has stretched me quite a bit. I have learned how to grade a paper for content and grammar. The content is easy; the grammar has been a steep learning curve.

The most interesting event in the last week has been the chair of the department has asked for a portfolio from me. She is going to try and bring me on as an adjunct professor for the TESL program next fall. Imagine that, me teaching at the college level! We'll see if it pans out.

#190275 - 12/09/09 02:08 AM Re: Any suggestions for school? [Re: MoBOB]
Jakam
Unregistered

Interesting perspective- definitely pushes Master's over Bachelor's and life experience
Degrees Worth It?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.