Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#172997 - 05/09/09 09:09 PM I think I was discriminated against
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK, I want to know if I'm over reacting.

Went to the movies this afternoon, been to this theater about once a month for over a year. Never ONCE has anyone said anything about my Jumbo. One of the friends with me carries EDC in a mussette bag, he's been going there much longer than I have as he is a local to this area.

We buy our tickets, and are about to get them torn up when someone walking past snarls at us we have to put our bags in the car, and keeps going past. She doesn't identify herself, and she is not polite. The kid tearing tickets shrugs and refuses to take our tickets- I wanted to talk to the manager. Turns out that the person who had spoken was the manager. When I asked her name, she did not provide. When I stated that I've come in a number of times, and the bag is in my lap the entire time, she says simple it is too big. I point out to a lady going through the line with a day pack 4-5 times as big as my bag of tricks PLUS a purse and commented that I see several women with bags as large if not larger than mine going through. The manager proceed to tell me that a "reasonable" bag was allowed, but refused to clarify what "reasonable" is. At that point I asked if it was because I was a man that was being told I could not bring in my bag, while women with larger bags could pass, I was told "ok, but this is the one time."

Now, I feel like I've been told that because I have a beard rather than breasts, I can't have "purse"-type bag. I fully respect that it is a private business, I have no problem with that, but since this is the first time and I feel that my friend and I were singled out for special treatment that I have grounds for complaint.

I'm not asking for a refund. I'm not asking for free tickets. (It WAS a good movie.) I'm asking for equal treatment and an apology.

So my question is, who to complain to? My first instinct it start at the state AG's office, but because I'd rather not just drop the bomb as my first rebuttal, should I bother to also file a complaint with the better business folks along with the ownership of the theater. Is it reasonable to tell them that have ten business days from the time the letter is posted to respond in writing to clarify if it is their corporate policy to irregularly apply their rules and to clarify specifically, in writing, what those rules are or I take it to the AG. Or is that temper and not logic talking?

Or am I being completely fireheaded?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#172999 - 05/09/09 09:20 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: ironraven]
LED Offline
Veteran

Sounds like the manager had a bad case of bi%ch and was obviously applying some arbitrary, subjective "rule." If you do wish to file a complaint you may want to request to speak with the general manager, taking your complaint straight to the top. Okay, and now the question I've been dying to ask, how was the new Trek? Will old fans be disappointed or is it worth seeing?

#173004 - 05/09/09 09:38 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: ]
Henry_Porter Offline

Maybe stuff your Jumbo high up the front of your sweater or shirt, and, if asked, say you're with the circus and your name is Amazonia the Bearded Lady.

#173007 - 05/09/09 09:44 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: ironraven]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Interesting situation,

Before I complained beyond the individual company I would contact the Manager, General Manager or Owner to find out what exactly their policy is on carry-in bags and why they have this policy. It is far better to get it in writing now than to go to the authorities and have the business write (or re-write) the policy in their favour later.

The policy on bags could be a safety concern (firearms, explosives, alcohol), that a bag may take-up a second seat, or that you may bring in your own food and not use their snack bar?

I do agree that some women I know have purses so big that I could camp out of them for a weekend!

Please keep us in the loop,

Mike

#173012 - 05/09/09 10:32 PM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: ironraven]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This sounds reasonable. I'd find the address of the movie chain manager/ and drop a note to them and just ask what their policy is and if it applies to both men and women. Should get you a quick response.

#173022 - 05/10/09 12:59 AM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I'd have assumed they don't want bags brought in because they are probably filled with food and the theater makes $$$ selling extremely overpriced popcorn, pop, candy, etc.

You are certainly entitled to complain, but I'm surprised you'd want to take it in to begin with. I don't take a purse to the theater because I don't want to bother with it or set it on the sometimes skanky floor.

If I were the theater manager I'd respond by being more strict in banning bags. And I'd be having them searched.

Being discriminated for carrying a man-purse.

We have come a long way, baby.

:-)

#173024 - 05/10/09 01:25 AM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: Dagny]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, it certainly seems like a B.S. rule. Either it applies to everybody or it doesn't apply at all.

Seems to me you ran across a jerk by any standard. So, sending a well-crafted letter up the food chain is entirely appropriate. In my experience, sending by fax gets the best response, YMMV.

FWIW, if you're dressed well enough to pass for a travelling businessman, use the excuse "I have my corporate laptop in here; if it leaves my possession I could be fired."

#173030 - 05/10/09 02:15 AM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: dougwalkabout]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Stick some fish tank air line on an N95 mask and tell them it is your air supply and nebulizer that you need because or your emphysema, asthma, and tuberculosis. Then proceed to either have a stress-induced asthma attack or cough on her.

Or you could follow the advice above and ask the company for a copy of their written policy on items allowed/not allowed in the

Yes, you have been discriminated against. I could make several comments stating support for it but that may rile things up a little and cause me to be brutally, and justifiably, spanked by our beneficient moderators.

#173031 - 05/10/09 02:17 AM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: dougwalkabout]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

You could raise a stink but I suspect that, in the end, your better off just taking your lumps and moving on.

The motivation for treating you differently could be any number of reasons. They could have thought your smuggling in food or drinks. Most movie theaters make a good part of their money at the snack bar and, even though I have never run afoul of them, I suspect that theaters try to discourage the import of food and drink.

Large bags may also be discouraged for showings that are full to limit conflicts and to speed the movement into and out of the theater. There may even be applicable fire laws.

There may also be some discrimination based on the perception of a male carrying what might be considered a 'purse' as gay. I had a friend who was beat up because he carried a 'purse'. In reality the guy is a diabetic and his 'purse' contained his meter, insulin and syringes. Bigots tend to overlook alternative explanations. Then again what a person's orientation may be shouldn't be an issue and if a guy wants to carry a bag people shouldn't read anything into it.

An alternative explanation might be that the manager has been overzealous in applying the warnings of anti-terrorism alerts. People bringing bulky bags into paces of assembly might, in some settings and times, be looked upon with suspicion. Packs, bags and anything but the smallest hand bags are often excluded in government buildings.

There is also a issue with homeless people coming in to hang out and enjoy the AC. Once in they sneak from theater to theater to maximize their time while limiting the cost. Such patrons have a tendency to be disruptive and unpredictable.

Any, all, or none, of these explanations may apply. I think your within your rights to complain. A corporate run theater might best be addressed by way of their corporate office. The managers are largely figureheads. If the theater is locally owned You could speak to the owner. But I suspect that, at best, you get a polite brush-off and a movie pass. Hardly worth the time and effort in my book.

#173033 - 05/10/09 02:28 AM Re: I think I was discriminated against [Re: Art_in_FL]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Just a brief note, private businesses most certainly do NOT have the right to turn away anyone for any reason. See a copy of the Americans with disabilities act for more information.

I'd take the original matter up with at least one higher level of management before caving in. A brief note or a phone call might not only resolve the issue it might get you a couple of tickets for a future show for your trouble. If nothing else, at least you'll know which theatre to NOT spend any more money at.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.