The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172125 - 04/27/09 12:54 PM Re: This is service [Re: MartinFocazio]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Martin--same here..snapped the blade trying to get a blob of hardened pine sap for a fire starter.it was my old first model Leatherman.sent it in like you,willing to pay-ect..got it back rehabbed.which is of course why they are doing so well in a market swamped with junky copys..

#172245 - 04/28/09 02:06 AM Re: This is service [Re: CANOEDOGS]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
I'm not sure if this is a compass thread or a kudos to good service thread. Don't want to hijack it.
But, I have an old, original gerber multi-plier that over the years became loose, the spring don't snap, and finally the can opener broke. I sent it to Gerber, seeking repair of the can opener.
They sent me a nice letter with my multi-plier saying they no longer make that model and could not repair it. They also sent me a brand new latest design locking multi-plier! I'm impressed.

#172246 - 04/28/09 02:21 AM Re: This is service [Re: EdD270]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is a 'lets talk about something besides pandemic flu' thread.

#172248 - 04/28/09 02:46 AM Re: This is service [Re: EdD270]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Ed, you got it right.

OK, I am the guy that lets these companies offer you such great service.
I buy the best I can and I never seem to get to send it in for repair because it usually gets lost before it breaks.
This means I have to buy replacements often and they are able to use their profits from dealing with me to defray the cost of service to all you guys.

Well, more seriously, if you sell a great product that lasts, then you are able to give a serious guarantee and back it up 100%. Returns are likely to be very low compared to your sales if your quality is high.
Also for the cost of fixing or replacing they bought your loyalty and good will.
It is basically good business.
Just look at the advertising testimonials happening in this thread (quite justified) and count that it continues in the real world around you. If I was wondering what compass to buy I would certainly think Silva after what I read here. The same for the other products.
You can not buy this kind of advertising from any PR company.

On the other hand a garbage product would wreck you if you offered the same guarantee on it.
You would be shipping a dozen items free for every one you sold. The people repeatedly returning it would not be talking nice either.

Thanks Chris. I am sick of the flu just from talking about it so much.

Edited by scafool (04/28/09 02:48 AM)

#172251 - 04/28/09 03:58 AM Re: This is service [Re: scafool]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: scafool
I buy the best I can and I never seem to get to send it in for repair because it usually gets lost before it breaks.
This means I have to buy replacements often and they are able to use their profits from dealing with me to defray the cost of service to all you guys.

Thanks, Scaf. Very generous of you. Keep up the good work. :-)

#172451 - 04/30/09 03:05 AM Re: This is service [Re: dougwalkabout]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
I can't resist adding two companies to the list of those with outstanding customer service:

Wiley-X sunglasses(which are also balistic/shooting glasses) - For some reason I manege to break even the most rugged sunglasses made, and I've received at least 2 brand new pairs of sunglasses from them, completely free, when the originals broke(mainly my fault). I've also received replacement parts such as arms, and they even sent me an extra set of arms when I asked them to, again completely free. Most of the time the products had been purchased years earlier and were probably beyond the warranty period.

Streamlight flashlights - A while back I was using their penlights a lot, and for some reason had a number of issues with them(I forget the specifics), but they repaired or replaced my items multiple times. Other than that one product I haven't managed to break any of their other products, despite heavy use and abuse.

#172496 - 04/30/09 03:39 PM Re: This is service [Re: KenK]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the info Ken, I sent an e-mail to Silva of Sweden last night about 2 broken Ranger 15T compasses. I have a 3rd broken Silva around the house somewhere but cannot find it!

We will see what the response from Silva is?

Mike

#172497 - 04/30/09 03:44 PM Re: This is service [Re: urbansurvivalist]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
A company I have dealt with that provides outstanding customer service is Leupold the optics/riflescope manufacturer.

I have sent them broken scopes, explained that I dropped them and the damage was 100% my fault. Within 2 weeks a new scope arrives at my door, no charge! Nice.

Mike

#172523 - 04/30/09 10:04 PM Re: This is service [Re: SwampDonkey]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
You may want to send the same message to Brunton too - telling them you'd already sent e-mails to Silva SE. They are the same company.

Brunton might provide faster response since there isn't much to do in Wyoming anyway - just kidding.

#172992 - 05/09/09 06:31 PM Re: This is service [Re: scafool]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
Originally Posted By: scafool
Ed, you got it right.

Thanks Chris. I am sick of the flu just from talking about it so much.

+1 on the Thank You, scaf. I always wondered who was out there being so benevolent. Keep up the good work, there are so many of us who appreciate your efforts in our behalf.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.