The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#173595 - 05/20/09 08:15 PM Re: Flash drive info dump [Re: CrazyJ]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
7-zip, although not really specialized encryption program, has quite strong encryption.

#173601 - 05/20/09 09:42 PM Re: Flash drive info dump [Re: CrazyJ]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: CrazyJ

The limitation with TrueCrypt (as I understand it) is that because it "mounts" the encrypted portion of the USB memory as a new drive on the computer you have to run it under a profile that has administrative rights. I think this could cause some problems accessing your data in an emergency because the government or public computers that you might use in a "re-establish your identity" situation probably won't have admin rights enabled.

Oy here we go again.

Encrypted digital data is NOT - not not not not suitable for emergency records. In fact, expecting your USB drive to be in any way useful in a real emergency is at best a fantasy and at worst dangerous.

I was a firefighter for six years, I did many rescues,auto extrications, etc. Of the ambulances, fire trucks, helicopters, rescue vehicles or command vehicles I worked in and with, of the few with computers on board, NONE were able to read a USB key.

At the emergency room, 0% of the computers in use could read a USB drive.

I'm now the emergency management coordinator for a local township, but I'm training up to go further. There's no model in the various national response plans and communications plans to utilize data stored on unknown devices that are handed to you by someone.

Further, a scan of a driver's license is not recognized by any agency as a legitimate identification, any more than a scan of a credit card would be accepted at a store for payment. A scan of a birth certificate? Useless.

You'd do better simply writing a list of document identification numbers, expiration and the like on a sheet of paper and using that for your emergency records.

We can go into medical records deeper later, but I asked a Dr. to email me the MRI of my head and they simply laughed at me. "No, this system will never touch the internet" and so I handed them my USB drive and they were like, "You're joking right?"

#173608 - 05/20/09 11:02 PM Re: Flash drive info dump [Re: MartinFocazio]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
MRI. The only way they would give that info to my wife was on a DVD. They copied her spinal MRI onto that disc so she could take it to her new doctor. Or as I have heard it called, the sneaker network!

#173648 - 05/21/09 02:10 PM Re: Flash drive info dump [Re: MartinFocazio]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Encrypted digital data is NOT - not not not not suitable for emergency records.

You're not looking at this in the way I am. Nobody expects (or should expect) "the authorities" to plug your USB drive into their computer and take what is found there as positive identification. However, the encrypted data is very useful for individuals involved in a crisis. You've lost your dog in the paniced transportation mess? Why not print out a picture from your USB drive using a friends computer, the library computer ... not from "the authorities computer". Need to find the phone number and account info so you can call your credit card issuer to cancel your account? Why not have that info encrypted on a USB drive? Need to locate the VIN and license plate number from your car so you can report it to the police as stolen? Store that stuff on your USB drive. You would need to find a computer to host the USB drive on, certainly. But the authorities are not the only people with computers. You could even buy yourself a new/used computer after the disaster if you really need your own to work with (and yuo just might).

#173691 - 05/22/09 05:33 PM Re: Flash drive info dump [Re: haertig]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have an 8gig mini-thumb drive in my wallet. It has been there for several years now. Originally it was a test to see if it could survive. No problems encountered (yet).

So I gradually filled it with all kinds of stuff. I travel a lot so I included scans of my medical records, licenses and all that sort of thing. All encrypted with TrueCrypt. I also have portable applications for my browser, e-mail client and many other programs. I update it frequently. It is an image of a SDHC chip I keep in my main computer, but which gets moved from machine to machine as needed (I have 4 working computers).

I also have the manuals for all my ham radio equipment, the entire service manual for my Dodge Diesel 3500 4x4, A gigantic library of military and other reference material. A very good medical library (Grays anatomy, Where there is no doctor, Ships Capt. Medical manual and much much more), all available from the nearest computer.

Over the years I have found it invaluable. I was traveling when I became sick and was able to print out my base line laboratory results to be compared with those being done. I have used the scans of credit cards to notify customer service when I had a problem. The list goes on and on....

the upshot is that it works for me.....and very well. True, no Doc is gonna let me use his computer, but there always seems to be a friend or someplace that I can find to retrieve the needed data. Even during Katrina when I responded to New Orleans with the Red Cross, I was able to find a satisfactory computer to get my e-mail client to run.

Next I think I will add a mini linux operating system so I have better control. Truecrypt runs nicely under linux by the way. I will have to do something about the portable applications (see http://portableapps.com/ for details about portable applications).

True, it is of little use during a medical emergency. But it sure has been handy for a lot of other incidents. I don't leave home without it.

Nomad

#173693 - 05/22/09 07:06 PM Re: Flash drive info dump [Re: Nomad]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: Nomad
Next I think I will add a mini linux operating system so I have better control. Truecrypt runs nicely under linux by the way. I will have to do something about the portable applications (see http://portableapps.com/ for details about portable applications).

Nomad

You can install Ubuntu on a usb in persistent mode (meaning you can save settings and install apps and it'll be there when you reboot off the usb next time).
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-tutorial/

That way, you don't even need portable apps... you boot off into your own computer and your good to go.

Personally, I have two usb keys with this setup; a personal computer version with all the usual coding IDE's and stuff and another which is a LAMP server. That way, I can covert any pc to a server on the fly with a simple reboot.

#173709 - 05/23/09 05:27 PM Re: Flash drive info dump [Re: haertig]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Thanks, as this is the purpose I was trying to state.

Let's say I have to beat feet, a hurricaine perhaps. I grab the flash drive and all my needed info is handy. It rides on a chain on my neck, along with my dog tags. I have a ton of information in a small package, instead of all the paper that contains the information. The most important things I think would be the insurance info contact numbers and policy numbers.

If I need to get info, I am sure I can find a laptop with a USB port someplace.

And yes, I think that even without encryption the info would be safe.

Didn't mean to start a puter geek firestorm, sorry.

#173804 - 05/26/09 10:57 AM Re: Flash drive info dump [Re: JBMat]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

To furthur what martinfocazio said. If you do manage to find someone who will allow you to plug your USB drive into their computer then thats not a computer I would be comfortable plugging in to anyway. Most companies have policies against it and have implemented some form of security to prevent the ports from working. The ones that do allow it there is no telling what those might be infected with. At very least make sure the drive your has some form of write protection but even then there is no telling what kind of keyloggers or other data miners may be on that computer.
I downsized from a 12" laptop to a 9" netbook for this very reason, there is no way I'm going t plug a drive full of my data into some unknown system, with most of the world running Microsoft windows there is just too much risk.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.