Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#172949 - 05/08/09 01:35 PM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: RayW]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: RayW

My new Asus 1000HE just arrived today from Amazon. A lot of these small netbooks seem to have very similar bells and whistles. I went with this one because of the battery life, advertised as 9 1/2 hours. Online research says realistic run time is 6 to 8 hours depending on use. Have not had a chance to play with it to find out how long it will really run. But it is a really cool toy, know that it will get a lot of use.

I've had the Asus 1000HE for about 2 months now, and the battery life is amazing. I can get 5-6 hours easily while using the internet.

I have tried turning off the bluetooth and wifi, and it gets close to the 9.5 hours claim.

I am very happy with it, and I EDC it every day as well in a Countycomm Bug out Bag. I hardly notice the weight, and I hardly noticed the smaller keyboard.

By the way benjammin, I have successfully copied CD's to a flash drive and installed them that way. I will most likely get the external CD drive eventually too, but for now, I haven't had any problems just copying to the flash drive and then installing directly from it onto my netbook.

#172954 - 05/08/09 02:13 PM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: benjammin]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I picked up a Dell mini-9 about a month ago. They had a special running, so I got myself one with Ubuntu, 1GB RAM and 8GB SSD; one for the wife with XP, 1GB RAM, and 16GB SSD. Came to a little over $600 for both, after tax and shipping. So far, we love them. In fact, I was so impressed with the Ubuntu Linux distro I've gone and redone my webserver with Linux after 8 years on Windows Server. grin

I occasionally throw this in the bag with my 15.4" work laptop, since it gives me more flexibility. The total lack of moving parts (and noise) is very nice...

#172958 - 05/08/09 03:51 PM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: Kris]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Kris
...if you want to keep your geek cred up all document creation has to be through VI or EMACS. Formatting is for the masses!

Yeah, but don't you just hate it when some non-geek asks you what :wq means at the end of the email you just sent (no, it's not a smiley!)

#172961 - 05/08/09 05:45 PM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: haertig]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Like I say, the stock batt pack is good for a nominal 2.5 hours. I plan to upgrade to the 6 cell pack soon, which will give me a solid 5 hours of run time off the grid. That is plenty for my commuting and incidental work.

It does okay for Powerpoint, though embedded video could be over the top for the little fella. It will handle SVGA output for projectors quite well, although you'll have to scroll the LCD screen separately in order to see as much as the projector will show.

All in all, I find it an exquisite complement to my LGH laptop and would also do well supporting a main workstation or home desktop. It wasn't meant to replace what we'd consider a regular unit, but it fills a niche that I needed filling for a couple years now.

BTW, since I added the 3G to my existing AT&T account, I got an 18% discount on the monthly fee, so even with taxes it would still be pretty competitive.

#174020 - 05/31/09 03:05 AM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: benjammin]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Just snagged a Dell Vostro 15" for $650.
35% off Coupon
35$ instant off
Free shipping (called and asked)

Regular price was way more than I would have spent... I get by without a lap top but my "business" requires me to be online. Now that I like 1hr away from the city I've come to realize every time I leave my house I need to have access to a computer and the internet... so I decided to get the laptop smile I already have 2 air cards.

For 650 this laptop screams.. dual core 2.5ghz, 3gb ram, wxga+ anti-glare 15", etc, etc. oh, and the best part, 3yr warranty! So in 2years I can sell it for 350 or so!

Now I just need to pay my Verizon bill with my amex to save 5% off!

I may add a 3rd Air card ( I have 1 from verizon now and 1 from millinicon [uses vz network but no contract]) just so I don't go over the limit.. darn 25cent/mb overage SUCKS! And its cheaper to add more cards than upgrade.. lame.

Anyway.
Where I live Verizon is the ONLY network that gets service.. cell and internet.

#174108 - 06/01/09 06:28 PM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: Todd W]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Todd W

I may add a 3rd Air card ( I have 1 from verizon now and 1 from millinicon [uses vz network but no contract]) just so I don't go over the limit.. darn 25cent/mb overage SUCKS! And its cheaper to add more cards than upgrade.. lame.

Anyway.
Where I live Verizon is the ONLY network that gets service.. cell and internet.

Where do you get millinicon cards?

#174120 - 06/01/09 07:42 PM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: MartinFocazio]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
https://members.millenicom.com/members/signup.php?clienttype=18&package=53

I haven't used it much but so far so good.
Depending where you are I believe you can use Verizon or Sprint network smile

They say unlimited but it's a soft limit and they WILL cancel if you use a TON of transfer they said, so that part is lame... but hey no contract laugh

#174154 - 06/02/09 02:26 AM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: Todd W]
erehwon Offline

Loc: Keystone State
I'm using a Bastard Dell Inspiron 1100, that I got for free from a friend.

I upgraded the memory, partitioned the hard drive, took out a USB slot (for more cooling on the one I kept), put in a small fan, and took out VISTA and installed windows XP and linux (which I'm still learning about) as a dual boot.

I use an At&T 3G card, and get reception everywhere here in suburban PA. And I burn things to CD rom. I have two batteries, and a 12 volt adapter.

So yeah, this I think is a useful device for a while. It crashes all the time, as it is so Frankenstein, but I can pretty much fix it without help as I know its quirks. I just hate viruses. I've spent many a night after getting infected picking through screens of process monitoring trying to find those damn DLLs.

I'd probably grab it, at least for the car in a BO situation. If I could drag up a printer, I'd have publishing capability for manuals, guides and a newspaper. Valuable trade goods.

#174180 - 06/02/09 01:46 PM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
So Ben...It has been about a month since your purchase. How is it working out? It looks I will be going back to school in the fall, compliments of Uncle Sam and the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I was looking at one of these micro/minis to use on campus for the word processing mostly.

#174184 - 06/02/09 02:24 PM Re: EDC Laptop!!! [Re: MoBOB]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
This little unit is going great. I have been using it on the train with no problems. I use it as an alternate when my main computer is VPN connected. I am gettting used to the smaller keyboard, and the screen size. It sure is nice carrying 15 lbs less to/from work. For $50, this has been the best computer investment I think I've ever made.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 480 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.