Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#172062 - 04/26/09 08:15 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Backpacks themselves put all that wait onto your spine and evidently ain't so great.

Where do the slings put the weight then? You only have one support from your upper body to your lower, and that's your spine. Seems like a backpack would even the load left-to-right, but not back-to-front. A sling would screw up the left-to-right distribution, but could be adjustable to even out the front-to-back. A larger backpack can be adjusted to put weight directly on your pelvic bones (albeit that weight is skewed to the back of the pelvis) thus leaving a smaller load on your spine. Maybe one asymmetric weight distribution is better than the other???

#172063 - 04/26/09 08:24 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So carrying my EDC backpack over just one shoulder is a good thing?

#172076 - 04/26/09 09:42 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JIM
If I used a backpack, I would start adding unnessesary stuff to my kit.

Great point. The bigger the bag the more stuff we're inclined to pack.

#172083 - 04/26/09 11:20 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: LED]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I used a backpack for years in school, then I started using a messenger bag to carry my laptop, and now I'm back to carrying a backpack. The messenger bag bothered my shoulder and my back. I've still got it, but it only gets occasional use.

I would suggest anyone who uses a similar bag should make sure to wear it often, that way they know whether they truly like how it wears or not.

#172084 - 04/26/09 11:24 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

Good question. I think it has something to do with the angle of how you carry a sling bag.

Ahh yes. The old "angle of the dangle" argument shocked

#172090 - 04/27/09 12:18 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: LED]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: LED

Great point. The bigger the bag the more stuff we're inclined to pack.

Some of us want that of course, more gear to account for different terrain and climate. I couldn't get away with a lumbar pack, I need a light backpack to carry some ground insulation (foldable foam pad) for an unexpected night out on the ground.

One can also rely on personal restraint to keep their backpack from being stuffed with nonsense.

#172094 - 04/27/09 12:27 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: Lono]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
The emergency Esbit stove can be found at bepreparedtosurvive.com under the stoves section.

Thanks for sharing. I always like see other people's set ups. I always find a new idea or better way to do something.

#172096 - 04/27/09 01:05 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Nice kit there Jim, all except one thing.

I looked up and down the list twice and I can't find where you list the flask of fine scotch or the fine cigar......

I must have missed it so I will read the list again. grin

#172107 - 04/27/09 03:13 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado

99% of what I carry is unnecessary. Meaning: I don't typically use it. The remaining 1% is pretty much summed up as "water and snacks". I can't say I've ever really "needed" a whistle, signal mirror, firesteel, compass, etc. The compass I use, but not because of need so far - more so to keep in good practice with it. To an ultralight hiker ALL my gear is probably unnecessary. But to me it's essential and mandatory. Depends on how you look at things.

I have a pack that is too large to be considered a normal day pack ("Deuter Futura 32 liter" http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/...20Chuck%20Kime/ ). But I load it lightly and wear it anyway. For me, it's much much much more comfortable understuffed than an overstuffed too-small pack.

#172129 - 04/27/09 01:36 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JohnE]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
With the solid fuel tablets you can try making your own stove. I have one made from a sheet of thin steel folded into a square "U" shape and stood on its end, forming 3 vertical walls. There's a low-down cross-piece to hold the fuel, which is roughly square with two tabs sticking out that go into slots cut into the opposite two walls. The pot sits on top. It seems to work reasonably well.

I picked that shape because I have a square tin that holds a PSK. The 3 sides of the stove fit inside the left, bottom and right sides of the tin, and the cross-piece lies flat across the bottom, so it takes up very little space.

Another approach is to use one of those round alcohol stoves, eg a Trangia, and keep it inside a steel mug, and cut a round tin-can to use as a support and wind-shield and put that in the mug too, and then make a lid to go on top.

In other words, instead of reducing the space the stove takes up, find ways of packing it efficiently so no space is wasted. With solid fuel tablets you really just need a platform for the fuel and something else to hold the pot, and to protect it from wind and keep it from scorching the grass.

Incidentally, the square Esbit-style stoves come in two sizes, the larger being about 4.5" at the longest side and the smalller 3.75". I usually find the smaller is a false economy because the space inside the larger is more useful - I keep a lighter, tinder and spoon in there as well as the fuel itself.

The fuel itself also comes in many forms. I prefer the British Army rectangular waxy style. It packs more efficiently than the Esbit blister packs.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.