Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172811 - 05/06/09 02:23 PM Check your kits!
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
So I'm out running an errand last night, and I come across a man lying in the middle of the road. There was quite a bit of blood. Apparently, he'd been hit, badly, by a car that had fled the scene. I call in a trauma alert, grab my first aid kit and start to glove up. Each glove I pull on instantly tears! I went through at least 10 gloves before I had two working ones, and one of those tore up by the wrist. The thing is, I already knew that gloves stored in my kit decayed fairly rapidly, and I'd checked things not that long ago, but obviously not recently enough! Drat! I hate it when I have only myself to blame.

Other observations: My "suction device" consisting of a 60cc syringe attached to 8" of suction tubing worked well to clear blood from the oropharynx. Wished I'd had a BVM (the squeeze bag to face mask thingie) since he went into respiratory arrest before the first fire/rescue folks arrived, although I do have a pocket mask. I probably need to add a reflective safety vest. My tiny AAA Fenix penlight gave all the light I really needed.

Edited by Jeff_McCann (05/06/09 02:24 PM)

#172814 - 05/06/09 02:32 PM Re: Check your kits! [Re: Jeff_M]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

good work!!--thank God there are still people like you left in the world...

#172816 - 05/06/09 02:41 PM Re: Check your kits! [Re: Jeff_M]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Kudos for getting involved and helping, Jeff.

One question: was it dark enough that you really had to use your light? If so, how did you hold it?

That's something I always wonder about and it's not like they ever mention lighting in any first aid course. I'm just wondering, short of using a headlamp or having someone else hold the light, if there's a "best" way to illuminate a wound that you're working on? Most people probably think about a mouth hold with a small light like a Fenix (assuming that they even have a flashlight at all), but that's not a good idea when working around someone else's fluids. Or do you just hand hold the light to survey things first, then put it down on the ground to provide just enough light to go to work? Just curious.

#172817 - 05/06/09 02:44 PM Re: Check your kits! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Good job, Jeff.

Good advice too. I'm embarrassed to admit that I went out in a spring snowstorm a couple of months ago, buried the car in a drift, flagged down a neighbour with a 4x4, went to my trunk and ... the towrope wasn't there! Some knucklehead (puts hand up) moved it to another vehicle. Argh!

#172820 - 05/06/09 02:49 PM Re: Check your kits! [Re: Jeff_M]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Good work Jeff!

In a pinch a 30Fr or 32Fr NPA works on the end of the 60cc syringe for suction. Definitely add a reflective vest and a headlamp (with lithium cells) to your car kit. A Laerdal disposable BVM bag folds into itself pretty compactly. Use it with the pocket mask instead of a dedicated BVM mask; the fittings are the same.

#172821 - 05/06/09 02:59 PM Re: Check your kits! [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Never lay your PSK Altoids tin next to an Altoids tin with product in it.BTDT

#172823 - 05/06/09 03:02 PM Re: Check your kits! [Re: Jeff_M]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Nice Job Jeff! I want you around the next time I do something stupid!

I have had the same trouble with decaying gloves in my belt pouch, tougher versions are also thicker so you cannot store as many, it's a compromise.

Good to know the Fenix AAA was enough light, I also EDC a Fenix L0D.

Mike

#172826 - 05/06/09 03:15 PM Re: Check your kits! [Re: Arney]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Arney
One question: was it dark enough that you really had to use your light? If so, how did you hold it? . . . if there's a "best" way to illuminate a wound that you're working on? . . . Or do you just hand hold the light to survey things first, then put it down on the ground to provide just enough light to go to work?

There was some ambient light, so it wasn't pitch dark. I just hand held for my initial assessment and set it on the ground to do interventions. There is an upconverted MiniMag in the kit, but the Fenix is my EDC, so I never touched it. I actually pulled the Fenix out at first to see into my kit. There are usually enough bystanders willing to pitch in and hold a flashlight for you. In this case, I set them to cutting the guy's clothes off.

I have some headlamps, and have used them in the past. They'd be great in a FAK. My kit was assembled/evolved from whatever I happened to have on hand at the time, with an eye to keeping the size reasonable, hence no BVM.

Ideally, you want intense spot and flood light to evaluate and treat injures. Ever notice the huge overhead and stand lights in every ER? More is better. I think your idea of a headlamp is probably the best compromise for a FAK, with maybe a low power cheapie for checking pupillary response.

#172827 - 05/06/09 03:15 PM Re: Check your kits! [Re: Jeff_M]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Jeff,

Good idea about the reflective safety vest.

A story from many years ago. My fathers coworker's son had a flat tire at night on an overpass north of Toronto. While changing the tire he was hit by a passing car, thrown over the gaurd rail and stuck again by a vehile below. He was wearing dark clothing at the time; after hearing the story I added a reflective vest to both my vehicle kits.

Mike

#172829 - 05/06/09 03:43 PM Re: Check your kits! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Jeff -- many thanks for the tip! Hope the guy is recovering OK...

I tend to not store first aid ointments and medications in my car kit out of concern for extreme temperature fluctuations, but hadn't considered glove deterioration. Also, I only tend to carry no more than 2-3 pairs at a time.

What kind of gloves did you have, if you don't mind my asking, and how old were they? Is there a variety that might possibly be better than others in regards to storage?

My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.