Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#169340 - 03/14/09 06:31 PM Re: Pocket knife with corkscrew [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
chiman Offline
Stranger

Loc: Chicago
Leatherman Flair: great corkscrew with a solid lever action. Not an active product, but you could buy used with confidence--the things last forever.

Buck Summit 760 has a corkscrew, but no lever. Using the knife body as a lever will bend the corkscrew, which is relatively brittle. The summit does have a nice feel to it otherwise.

HTH

#169349 - 03/15/09 12:26 AM Re: Pocket knife with corkscrew [Re: chiman]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I put an earlier comment up about using the buck summit to open wine. I snapped the corkscrew off the second time I used it. An otherwise excellent tool.

The knife is still in the glove compartment of my van along with the cork. Will get around to sending it to Buck one of these days.

#169385 - 03/15/09 04:44 PM Re: Pocket knife with corkscrew [Re: jaywalke]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: jaywalke

I have found an opening technique that works well with the SAK. It's not pretty, but it keeps the wine in the bottle.
1. Insert corkscrew as usual.
2. Stand up, and brace bottle between your feet.
3. Bend at the knees and grasp the knife body.
4. Lift with the legs and twist slightly.

The cork comes out like it's greased, and the bottle doesn't move.

+10 - I've been opening wine bottles with SAKs for probably 30 years this way. I've never lost a bottle, spilled wine, broke a SAK, or busted up a cork (or rendered it unusable for re-stoppering). I would shudder to guess at the number of bottles I've opened. My friend was a server for probably 25+ years and has always used his SAK (readily available) behind the scenes at restaurants or when catering, but the house "approved" opener when out amongst the tables. He couldn't put a figure on the number of bottles he's opened with SAKs.

Sure, there may be better wine openers that take less effort or that look more cool, but I'll take my SAKs any day over the competition. They are immediately available to me. At home, even though the house wine openers are always in the same drawer, my SAK comes out in a flash and I'm done long before I fish the others out of the drawer.

BTW, I HAVE broken a good number of wine openers...metal, plastic, wood handled, etc. If that ever happens to a SAK from such standard use, I may faint dead away.

I hate to sound like a cheerleader, but...

#169530 - 03/17/09 02:56 AM Re: Pocket knife with corkscrew [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
Hookpunch Offline

I've tried both the SAK and Leatherman corkscrew...both are fairly poor. The Leatherman lever was flimsy, after trying to open a bottle of wine a few times with it,I was afraid I would break the lever and give up.

Now I just take my corkscrew with me, the most dependable are the

Pulltap
Pulltap

Or the KEA

KEA

#172502 - 04/30/09 04:17 PM Re: Pocket knife with corkscrew [Re: jaywalke]
Did Offline
Stranger

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: jaywalke

I have found an opening technique that works well with the SAK. It's not pretty, but it keeps the wine in the bottle.
1. Insert corkscrew as usual.
2. Stand up, and brace bottle between your feet.
3. Bend at the knees and grasp the knife body.
4. Lift with the legs and twist slightly.

The cork comes out like it's greased, and the bottle doesn't move. Also entertaining at cocktail parties.

Yes, but sometimes with the small corkscrew of SAK you could have problem with the old cork of older (and fine) bottle....

So before lift, it's better to first push when you have only a SAK.
Doing that first, you move the scork downward and the pressure of gas inside the bootle will help you to lift the cork without destroying it....

Here (France) it is difficult to find a pocket knife without a corkscrew...

#172640 - 05/03/09 02:01 PM Re: Pocket knife with corkscrew [Re: CANOEDOGS]
OrangeJoe Offline

Loc: Old Colony, USA
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

anyplace you can buy wine will have a box of cheap corkscrews at the checkout counter.i would go that route rather than look everywhere for a knife with one built into it..i don't think i've ever seen a pocket knife that had a corkscrew that any guts to it..

The corkscrew in my Victorinox made German Army Knife has never failed me. AND it only cost me around $6 from the good folks at the SOSAK.

#172670 - 05/04/09 05:45 AM Re: Pocket knife with corkscrew [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
randyo Offline
Journeyman

I used to struggle to remove corks with the SAK until I realized that I was doing it the hard way! You aren't supposed to screw it in and pull like an idiot until your face turns red and you damage your shoulder. The trick is to screw it down all the way, then use the SAK as a lever (it is hinged you know) and pry the cork out as far as the knife/corkscrew/hinge allows - THEN you pull the remaining distance. I haven't had any trouble since I learned that technique.

#172673 - 05/04/09 01:04 PM Re: Pocket knife with corkscrew [Re: randyo]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
next bottle of wine i open i'll try that out..makes sense,thats the way the waiters corkscrews work--

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.