Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#172620 - 05/03/09 12:29 AM Re: A little historical context [Re: ki4buc]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
I was using an N95 mask today. It specifically stated it was not rated for Asbestos or silica dust.

I think asbestos or silica requires an N100 (or was it a P100). It may also require a half-face respirator.

#172639 - 05/03/09 01:43 PM Re: N95 masks [Re: Russ]
cousinit Offline
Stranger

Loc: ill.
those using N95 like me have been sized and tested for fit.
I'm a ER nurse so having mask like these are normal. many who don't know how to use them just think they don't seal properly.
its just they never been fitted and hood tested. yep i was put into a smoke hood and tested for proper fit.
i use a small for i have a long nose and my nose and mouth close small chin.
most people have difficulty breathing threw them for they tend to be thick with some type of rubber inside so they tend to be hot and uncomfortable. so many patients only use the ordinary surgical mask for they tend to be applied and kept correctly on longer. surgical mask have to be tided both strings. surgical masks are good for those coughing up microscopic droplets. still they in the CDC newsletter are unsure of disease spreading by airborne or droplets. so having both mask handy would be very practical just check for size with the N95. they come in small and med that i know of.
prizm63 wife of cousinit.

#172642 - 05/03/09 03:43 PM Re: N95 masks [Re: cousinit]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: cousinit
they come in small and med that i know of.
prizm63 wife of cousinit.

Large too. Never seen an XL, but I assume they exist.

#172679 - 05/04/09 03:25 PM Re: N95 masks [Re: MDinana]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Since you wanted the entire context, I pulled the quotation out of the email sent to our campus.

Unfortunately, I still have questions about what exactly your dean is referring to. If he was talking about the surgical/procedure masks that you see many people wearing on TV, then I would totally agree with his statement which is why I didn't really say anything about it the first time without more information. But, from that quote, it sort of seems like he is referring to N95's, in which case, I guess I take issue with the statement that they provide NO protection at all. It sounds like he's comparing an N95 to someone trying to use a bridal veil as respiratory protection against the flu.

But, again, context makes all the difference. For example, since an N95, by definition, lets 5% of the test aerosol through, some may consider that result to be the same as being useless since 5% may be enough to infect someone. <shrug> Not to be argumentative. I'm genuinely interested in the logic of what he's saying since on its face, it seems counter to everything things I've heard/read.

The point about the viral shape inside the droplet is interesting, although I have never heard any mention of that ever being an issue with filtration. If the droplet itself is much bigger than the individual virus particles, how the virus is folded doesn't seem like it would affect the shape or characteristics of the droplet itself. That's another potentially interesting piece to this puzzle.

#172802 - 05/06/09 02:07 AM Re: N95 masks [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think it's interesting that in the two different media visits I have seen on TV to the operations center at the CDC or even in the microbiology lab at the CDC doing active testing on the H1N1 virus, there's not a single face mask to be seen on anyone working there. Anyone else notice that?

#172808 - 05/06/09 12:26 PM Re: N95 masks [Re: Arney]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Arney
I think it's interesting that in the two different media visits I have seen on TV to the operations center at the CDC or even in the microbiology lab at the CDC doing active testing on the H1N1 virus, there's not a single face mask to be seen on anyone working there. Anyone else notice that?

Has to be stock footage. Most of the ones I've seen with surgical masks are probably to just avoid contaiminating the sample, not to protect the user.

#172822 - 05/06/09 03:00 PM Re: N95 masks [Re: ki4buc]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ki4buc
Has to be stock footage.

No, not stock footage. In both segments I saw from different networks, the reporter was on-camera, talking to CDC people in those locations and you could see the operations center or lab folks working in the background.

Unless...they are all just actors...and the real work is being done at some "secret, undisclosed location" recently vacated by you-know-who. wink

#172835 - 05/06/09 04:36 PM Re: N95 masks [Re: Arney]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Work with N1H1 is recommended at a Biosafety Level 2 (BSL2), which is generally working under a certified BSL2 biosafety cabinet. No mask is required, as the containment feature is engineered into the biosafety cabinet. You may see laboratory workers wearing additional protection of masks and/or Tyvek clothing, which can be added if the worker is entering and exiting the hood frequently.

Pete

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.