Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#172556 - 05/01/09 05:27 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: ironraven]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi IR,

Is that even with the belt-loop attached?

I do carry a multi-tool with a wood saw, so I replaced the SERE-saw in the PSP with a regulair metal hacksaw blade.

#172586 - 05/02/09 10:49 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I might have deleted the belt loop because I didn't find it all that useful- one, I prefer to carry my bag a little higher than my belt line, and two, it interfered with my ability to swing the bag fore and aft as needed.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#172630 - 05/03/09 04:28 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: haertig]
Redbeard Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA state of confusion
Originally Posted By: haertig
...Except for my "stinking fuel tables" issue. Maybe I have one in my set that has a small hole in the packaging. They look sealed,but I can sure smell them anyway.
as of late, i have been vacuum bagging everything i can get my hands on! that would seal up that stink. when i say vacuum bag i am referring to the commonly known "seal-a-meal".

the last thing i vacuumed was a bunch of lesser used med stuff like 3x3 etc. worked great! turned it in to a nice little brick to pack in the car kit.

#172631 - 05/03/09 05:04 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: Redbeard]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you find yourself with back problems try a TRUMPLINE. This is AKA a burden strap in some period literature. It consists of a broad forehead band connected by two cords to your pack or item being portaged.
It's one of those native inventions that looks wierd nd actually works.

Fixed knives are like the old saying '4WD will get you stuck where you wouldn't be dumb enough to go in 2WD.'
In extremis a fixed blade is naturallly preferable. But for many good reasons, as the OP mentioned you can't carry one. If you can't do normal duties with a folder perhaps HOW they are being done needs rethinking.

#172641 - 05/03/09 02:09 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
if you try a tumpline you better have a neck like a football player.my Duluth pack came with one and they are a canoe country icon. transfering the load from shoulders to head/neck might have been fine for someone who carryed loads over portages before the modern style pack was invented but not we have less painful ways to carry gear.the first tumplines were not even attached to a pack but just slung under bales and box's.i no longer use mine.

#172645 - 05/03/09 06:39 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Some minor updates:

First, I added some stuff to the key-keeper inside the bag.

- Gerber knife sharpener
- Fenix EO1
- Small firesteel
- Spy-capsule which fits a piece of tinder-quick perfectly
- LMF striker for firesteel

Updates to the PSP:

Added a different lanyard, more on that later.

updated contents:

- Replaced SERE-saw with piece of hacksaw-blade
- Replaced gray duct-tape with blaze-orange, rerolled on a tongue-depressor to make it a flatter pack.
- Replaced black SOLED with blaze-orange one. (happened to be around)

Ah, the lanyard. I changed it because this way you can also use it for using the hacksaw:

Don't know for sure if it will work, but it's worth a try don't you think?

#172646 - 05/03/09 06:45 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Try using a trumpline WITH a modern pack suspension. You don't need to transfer all the load, just part.

#172651 - 05/03/09 08:01 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Fixed knives are like the old saying '4WD will get you stuck where you wouldn't be dumb enough to go in 2WD.'
In extremis a fixed blade is naturallly preferable. But for many good reasons, as the OP mentioned you can't carry one. If you can't do normal duties with a folder perhaps HOW they are being done needs rethinking.

Yeah, I understand Jimīs reason. But I thought Jim carried the knife not just for normal dutties but also for survival/emergency. What about battoning through wood and so on? Sometimes itīs not best outcome to be fiddling with folding mechanisms. But like I said now I see why Jim has chosen not to carry it. However to those who can afford it I still reccomend - ditch the folder, carry a fixed blade; ideally carry both.

I think the car comparison doesnīt make sense when applied like this.

#172663 - 05/04/09 12:43 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: raptor]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Again, a robust fixed blade is the standard for survival kit.

So, imagine you've lost your knife (it happens) and only have a folder.

Now, since everyone agrees a folder MAY Fail, Nobody has ever tried any strategies for batoning wood with it successfully.

It's getting cold.

#172664 - 05/04/09 01:15 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Fixed vs. Folding:

To quote from "The Little Prince" -

"'Nothing is perfect', sighed the fox."

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.