Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172420 - 04/29/09 09:09 PM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: yelp]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: yelp
...and I was seriously thinking about switching over to a Coleman propane stove in order to get away from storing white gas.

Anybody else want to chime in with pros / cons / recommendations for or against a Coleman propane stove?

I consider white gas in a proper fuel container safer to store at home than propane.

#172424 - 04/29/09 09:59 PM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: Jeff_M]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

One thing to be aware of is that generators are not, in fact, available for all models of two-burner Coleman stove.

My ancient Coleman expired two seasons back, with a bad generator. The part was no longer available -- the current replacement generators are longer. When buying a used Coleman, look up the product number and make sure the replacement generator is still available.

#172426 - 04/29/09 10:16 PM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: Jeff_M]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
I consider white gas in a proper fuel container safer to store at home than propane.

I'm trying to anticipate what my lease might say when I move into an urban apartment...my guess is that liquid fuel will be a no-go, but propane would be acceptable. All speculation on my part.

A propane detector would join the ranks of the smoke and CO detectors, of course.

#172432 - 04/29/09 10:46 PM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: yelp]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: yelp
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
I'm trying to anticipate what my lease might say when I move into an urban apartment...my guess is that liquid fuel will be a no-go, but propane would be acceptable.

I'd guess your lease or local code would bar both generically, if the subject is addressed at all. Or if only one is allowed, I'd bet you're right, a propane cylinder is probably more likely to be accepted than a can of gas.

#172446 - 04/30/09 01:51 AM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: Jeff_M]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I had a dual fuel two burner back in the early 90s. I made the mistake of running cheap unleaded gas in it once3 and had to field strip the generator and clean all the carbon off it with my leatherman. I got it cleaned and borrowed a tank of white gas and didn't have another problem until the check valve on the tank pump went away. It still worked, but you had to keep your finger over the hole until you screwed the pump stem back shut or it would bleed pressure out of the tank.

The liquid fuel stoves get a lot hotter than the propoane ones, which is better for me.

#172469 - 04/30/09 11:32 AM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: yelp]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Life safety codes tend to prohibit the storing of most any flamable gases or fuels stored inside the appartment. As a rental housing inspector I routinely order tenants to remove propane,white gas and even paint thiner from their appartments. If you move into a new place check to see if they have storage available. If not see if your new neighbors would be interested in jointly purchasing a flamable storage cabinet. It may be possible to store canisters there instead. You could also check with your local fire marshals, of Code Enforcement office.

#172477 - 04/30/09 12:57 PM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: UncleGoo]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
Somewhere, 100 years ago, I read of someone who cut a circle out of a (leather) shoe tongue, for an improvised replacement of the pumpleather.

I have actually tested this, and used a piece of my original basic training boots as a makeshift pump. I lubed it by chewing on it-it worked. Long term, it probably isnt the answer, but I made two meals using an old MSR Whisperlite stove, with that improvised method.

#172479 - 04/30/09 01:13 PM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: oldsoldier]
LoneWolf Offline

I'm not sure if I originally saw this on the Equipped forums a while back or somewhere else. Here is a really good link on rebuilding those stoves if you happen across one that needs some work.

http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/tech/re_stove.htm

LW

#172504 - 04/30/09 04:52 PM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: oldsoldier]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Somewhere, 100 years ago, I read of someone who cut a circle out of a (leather) shoe tongue, for an improvised replacement of the pumpleather.

I have actually tested this, and used a piece of my original basic training boots as a makeshift pump. I lubed it by chewing on it-it worked. Long term, it probably isnt the answer, but I made two meals using an old MSR Whisperlite stove, with that improvised method.

I'm impressed that you actually got two meals out of that little disc of leather. Did you stretch it with rice, or noodles? laugh

#172509 - 04/30/09 06:49 PM Re: Coleman Stoves [Re: UncleGoo]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier

I'm impressed that you actually got two meals out of that little disc of leather. Did you stretch it with rice, or noodles? laugh

I reused it wink

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
4 registered (chaosmagnet, Jeanette_Isabelle, sgt253, Ren), 200 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
25 minutes 15 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.