The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172522 - 04/30/09 09:56 PM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: RayW]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
PB blaster is "da bomb" compared to Liquid Wrench and some other stuff I've tried over the years. I just used some yesterday to free up an aluminum sanding disc that was stuck onto a steel axle, worked like a charm.

+3 on the anti-seize, used sparingly and with hand tightened lug nuts, never had a problem with either loosening or not loosening...;^)

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#172530 - 05/01/09 01:11 AM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: JohnE]
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
If using Never Seize, reduce your tightening torque by ten per cent. Initially Never Seize will act as a lubricant and the wheel nuts will be over torqued even when using a torque wrench.

#172539 - 05/01/09 05:27 AM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: turbo]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Good advise! Had one of the nurses I work with going home on the interstate day before yesterday - had her FRONT wheel come off while traveling at 75 mph. Luckly she was able to control the vehicle and pull safely off the road. Shaken and crying but safe. I asked when the last time she had work done on her tires / wheels and she said that her husband took it to a Walmart tire center a few days before. Just goes to show you that double checking others work is unfortunately a sad fact of life any more.

#172541 - 05/01/09 10:36 AM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: epirider]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had bought new tires once and after the "free" tire rotation it took two people standing on a pipe on the end of the lug wrench to get one of the nuts off.
I've found that I can rotate tires or change the oil quicker than I can drive to the quick change places to get it done without having to worry about what they screw up.
People say their time is worth too much to do it themselves but if it takes 15 minutes to drive there, wait 15 to get the work done then another 15 home, thats too much time when I can do the work in about 30 minutes total.

#172545 - 05/01/09 01:45 PM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: CANOEDOGS]
joost Offline
Stranger

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi, ex-OMF member here, just wanted to post this, the longest cheater bar ever (I'm squatting by the wheel):

#172547 - 05/01/09 02:06 PM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: joost]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
I want to know what the sledge hammer was for ? Use to run an old Chevy pickup, use anti seise on the lugs and never had a problem. First time I took the wheels off it took two of us standing on a four foot pipe on the cross wrench to get one of the back wheels off that is whet started me using grease on them.

#172554 - 05/01/09 04:25 PM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: CAP613]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Another tire problem I have had, is not being able to remove the mounted (flat) tire from the vehicle after the lug nuts are off. Usually a hit with a big hammer will pop it off, but last summer I had to call for service as I could not remove the mounted tire from my Ford 3/4 ton work pickup. Unfortunately I was not present when the service man took the mounted tire off, so I do not know how he did it?

Mike

#172560 - 05/01/09 06:53 PM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: SwampDonkey]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Swamp--your in the bogs and swamps alot??..could it had rusted so much??..

#172562 - 05/01/09 06:59 PM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: joost]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Joost--and everyone--if nothing else all these posts make me feel a bit better knowing that i'm not the only one..i can sort of see how Joost moved along from wrench to hammer to bigger and bigger hammer to really big breaker bar..

#172565 - 05/01/09 08:55 PM Re: Check Your Nuts [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Your putting you self at risk using anything on lug nuts when installing them.

If they are corroded, over-torqued or galled enough to need a long lever to loosen them they should be replaced. To meet engineering standards for safety and reliability they need to be installed and torqued clean and dry. Generally no oil or other compounds are recommended, needed or helpful for installation.

If you commonly run your vehicle in the surf or other corrosive environments you may want to apply a preservative grease to them after they are installed and torqued but check with the manufacturer. This grease would need to be removed before the nuts are reinstalled for long term use. This can be skipped when your repairing a flat in the field but needs to be taken care of properly ASAP.

Odds are you can get away with applying an anti-seize compound, goose grease, or what have you, lots of people do it. But your eating up the safety margins built into the design. Some day you may need that extra margin of safety and when you do ...

Those bolt are expendable. At the first sign of trouble replace them. Compared to other things they are cheap. Wheels do fall off ... usually at the worse possible time.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.