Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172381 - 04/29/09 02:12 PM Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show.
joaquin39 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia,Pennsyvania, USA.
I am really surprised that there are no commentaries on this forum about a tv show on Discovery channel. I have seen 3 shows so far and I like them more and more. It is about a group of 9 people that are dropped in a remote area in Alaska and they are supposed to hike out. They were provided with some equipment, maps and compass but no food. Only an over and under rifle shotgun combination (410/.22LR), one pocket knife for all of them, one hatchet, one saw, sleeping bags, clothing, tarps to make Yukon packs and cover themselves. Each person was provided with bear protection spray, water bottles and a gps with a button that if you want to quit you press it and they come and pick your up. There is no price for whoever finish the trek.
There were all kind of people and what I was surprised more than anything else is that the best qualified people dropped first. You can find more information in www.discoverychannel under Alaska Experiment.
Have anybody watched these shows and would like to share some commentaries.

#172383 - 04/29/09 02:39 PM Re: Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show. [Re: joaquin39]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I watched the first show. Would sort of like to see more of them but what I saw confirmed for me that my reluctance to hike with more than 3 others who I know well makes for more successful trips.

Maybe the best qualified people quitting first means they are smarter. Best to know one's limitations rather than to press on foolishly.

And boy oh boy is Alaska a tough place to live off the land! Looks to me like fending off hypothermia is a fulltime job.

#172389 - 04/29/09 04:33 PM Re: Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show. [Re: unimogbert]
joaquin39 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia,Pennsyvania, USA.
The shows are on Tuesdays at 10:00 EST. Like I said in my post, the more I watch them the more I like it. It look a little foolish at the begining but I grows on you.
Actually it is not that you cannot quit at anytime, what surprised me that the best qualified person, a young man that is an outdoor guide for fishing and hunting quit about the second or third day into the journey.
Also is a proof that sheer will power and not giving-in without trying harder could make the different between life and death.
If you have Comcast on Demand you can watch the shows anytime.
they are under World and News, Discovery Channel, Out of the Wild.
Thanks for the comments.

#172391 - 04/29/09 05:23 PM Re: Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show. [Re: joaquin39]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Yes, I can't help but be fascinated by the show. Typical with such things, they tend to pick a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing. Despite their inexperience, and the more knowledgable ones quitting they are doing surprisingly well.

They've made some feeble attempts (handlines) at fishing but those have largely been ineffective. With all the streams around, I'm wishing they would make fishing spears and construct some stone weirs in the streams to guide the fish to a spot to spear them and to create eddys where some fish will rest to get out of the strong current. I think they'd get more fish and expend fewer calories in getting them if they did something like that. Once the weir was constructed, they might be able to spear a significant amount of protein and fat rich salmon.

As it is now, they have a calorie deficit in what is expended to acquire the food they do have.

I can't help but admire the determination and teamwork in the remaining six people. The bad attitudes of the two somewhat experienced people who quit was somewhat of a liability. They might be better off without them in the long run.

Tom A.

#172395 - 04/29/09 06:00 PM Re: Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show. [Re: TomApple]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have seen all the episodes. Not a bad show. Talk about putting people in a bad situation.

#172406 - 04/29/09 07:21 PM Re: Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show. [Re: comms]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
I like it so far, I was surprised at the first 2 drop outs.

#172408 - 04/29/09 07:27 PM Re: Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show. [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I wonder if I can catch the aired episodes online somewhere. I have seen the commercials...just the show itself is on too late for me.

#172414 - 04/29/09 08:33 PM Re: Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show. [Re: oldsoldier]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
I've been following it also, and in spite of all the drama, it's a pretty accurate show.
In spite of all the tourism BS, Alaska is actually a very unforgiving place to live in.
But it is very easily do-able, you just gotta live by her rules, not yours...........

#172447 - 04/30/09 01:54 AM Re: Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show. [Re: DannyL]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i've been following it as well, and so far i'm liking it. the commercials though, drama doesn't eve touch it.
"The alaskan wilderness has claimed its first victim; who will be the next to fall?"

riiiieeeeght....

the way they go on, you'd think these people were dead rather than headed home.
i was surprised and a bit disappointed when the outfitter and what's her name dropped out; those tow were a refreshing change from the city slickers.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#172452 - 04/30/09 03:08 AM Re: Out of the wild. Discovery Channel show. [Re: Erik_B]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Kinda surprised and impressed by last nights episode, with the head shot to the porcupine and the neck stomp finishing it off.

Some shows have cut away and not shown that kind of stuff, I like that they are showing a more real food gathering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 379 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.