Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#172368 - 04/29/09 11:37 AM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Desperado]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
The waters have drained off I-45 by The Woodlands and it's now open. There are still bad underpasses though inside Houston.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#172369 - 04/29/09 11:42 AM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Blast I'll send you and your family a raft if need be. LOL

B-safe

Mike

#172370 - 04/29/09 11:44 AM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Thanks,

Looks like the meetings are off anyway. Seems one of the "wise men" involved believed his self advertisement and drove into some water a little too deep for his range rover. Since "his" car couldn't make it, obviously no one else should be out either.

RIP OBG

#172372 - 04/29/09 12:55 PM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
"There are still bad underpasses though inside Houston"

I believe there was one underpass on 610 on or near the exit you take to go to the Galleria where I watched someone actually disappear into the water. I know it was over on that side of 610 somewhere. Absolutely treacherous, and you'd think someone would be smart enough to at least post signs.

IIRC, the big concrete canals are probably the safest place to be when it floods in Houston. Huge canals, but the water level never seems to even get close to the top. I never saw more than a few inches in the bottom of the Braeswood canal. Now the streets, those will fill up over the curbs.

Reminds me of sitting on the porch out in west Texas (Lubbock), during a thunderstorm, watching the river go flowing by on what was a cobblestone street an hour previous. Man, I kinda miss sitting in the front porch swing during a storm with Grandad, munching on salted tomatoes and peppers, listening to him tell me about catching mustangs.

#172430 - 04/29/09 10:40 PM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: benjammin]
Shreela Offline
Stranger

Loc: Houston
We flooded less with this flood than our first two floods earlier in the week -- what a sentence! We drained sometime between late night and the next morning (when the north/nw area were so flooded during rush hour). There was only a few inches at the lowest parts while we watched the early news with the reporters on the feeders standing in water, with numerous vehicles stalled, including one SUV, and even an HPD cruiser!

I read elsewhere some were saying the flooding was worse than TS Allison 2001, but I got water in my house from Allison, and only flooded 1/3 up the driveway with this most recent flood. I guess it all depends on the area of town we're in.

http://www.hcoem.org/HCRainfall.aspx
You can click on areas and enlarge them, and change the time in the dropdown box. My area got between 8-18 inches in the last month (my exact area isn't represented, so I'm going by surrounding areas which vary a lot; I'm guessing we probably got around 9 inches).

Public water was contaminated after TS Allison, but I didn't hear anything one way or the other about water safety after any of our 3 floods. I'm washing water containers today for yearly hurricane preps just because I was thinking about that (and the slight chance of problems *if* we are affected by a pandemic).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 352 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.