Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172292 - 04/28/09 06:35 PM Here we go again - Houston is flooding
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
We've had over a foot of rain in the last ten hours, many roads are blocked with high water, many people are stranded. At 11:0am Spring creek (my favorite stream) jumped it's banks 1/2 mile from our house. We aren't in trouble yet, though I may end up staying at work for a few extra hours. The DW will let me know when it's safe to come home.

Wait a minute... confused

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#172293 - 04/28/09 06:47 PM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Blast,
Just GOD's way of letting you know you and the kitties need a bath. smile
Stay safe
Stu

#172294 - 04/28/09 06:47 PM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Blast,

Please stay safe and make sure you remind family, friends and co-workers to: “Turn Around – Don’t Go Through".

Take Care-
Pete

#172295 - 04/28/09 06:52 PM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, I just heard from a friend/coworker down there. Some of those underpasses on 610 are downright deadly when it rains big. People who don't realize it drive right into them at freeways speeds and disappear. I recall being there in 92 when it flooded bad and the only thing that wasn't were the canals on the southwest side of town, along N/S Braeswood blvd.

Houston's tough to make weather safe. If you build to average terrain, you're gonna flood, if you build to high ground, you're gonna get hit by all the lightning in the area.

I like a place where I can go underground and not get flooded out like a gopher.

#172298 - 04/28/09 07:33 PM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: paramedicpete]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Please stay safe and make sure you remind family, friends and co-workers to: “Turn Around – Don’t Go Through".

Yep, that's my plan. Luckily Molly's Pub is uphill from where I work. grin

I've lived here for 12 years. It took me less than four months to figure out the water gets DEEP on roads here and so I'm constantly surprised when people drive into the water and end up drowning, usually with a car full of kids, too. frown

-Blast, with a toothbrush and change of clothes in his filing cabinet.
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#172299 - 04/28/09 07:47 PM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast
[quote]-Blast, with a toothbrush and change of clothes in his filing cabinet.

What?? No Makers Mark in there???? You gotta be kidding me! grin

#172311 - 04/28/09 09:08 PM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Stu]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Ack. Stay safe....
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#172330 - 04/28/09 11:02 PM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Blast
Yep, that's my plan. Luckily Molly's Pub is uphill from where I work. grin

Slightly new meaning to the term "high ground". *laughs*

Stay dry, stay safe.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#172336 - 04/29/09 12:21 AM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Update, You know it's going to be bad when you see news choppers circling up ahead of you. It took me 90 minutes to go what normally takes 20 minutes. The freeway and feeder roads leading past the front entrance to my neighborhood were drowned under three feet of water and traffic was backed up for miles and miles. Luckily I know a back way.

No water got into our house but two neighbors a few houses down ended up flooded along with an entire cul-de-sac behind us.

High ground. ALWAYS build on high ground.

-Blast

#172338 - 04/29/09 12:54 AM Re: Here we go again - Houston is flooding [Re: Blast]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
with all the storms i see on the news in texas, it makes me wonder if theres' any place in texas that doesnt get flooded.;)

is there any dry land in that state?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.