Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#171964 - 04/25/09 12:17 AM Looking for a portable digital TV
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Anyone have any suggestions for a portable digital TV? We live in hurricane central (AKA: Florida). Our old portable TV's have gone the way of the dinosaurs.....we are looking for a good digital portable TV. Battery operated (prefer one that can take 'standard' batteries for backup). Decent size screen. RELIABLE a MUST. Won't say price is no object but I'd like to keep it below $200.

#171978 - 04/25/09 04:05 AM Re: Looking for a portable digital TV [Re: CJK]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Just googled it and found the CVS of all places has one for a little over $100...then there's this:
http://www.sansonic.net/consumer/portable_atsc.asp

Look at the Target website, they have a couple available.
Myself, being here in Melbourne, I have a portable DVD player that we take with us in the car and on vacation. Just pack the individual DVD's in a case & go. I get weather updates on the radio when hurricanes hit.

I'd peruse eBay and Amazon, then check out reviews.

Dave

#171982 - 04/25/09 08:39 AM Re: Looking for a portable digital TV [Re: CJK]
hazeywolf Offline

Recently saw this one on Buy.com for $105 US: http://www.buy.com/prod/haier-hlt71-7-portable-lcd-tv-with-atsc-ntsc-tuner/q/loc/111/208673168.html

It's recieved positive reviews, except for the short battery life.

You might also consider an external HDTV-USB Tuner and antenna if you have a laptop.

I haven't seen any Digital TV enabled radio receivers yet - but I rely on a hand-held crank radio that picks up AM/FM, WorldBand I/II, NOOA and standard TV/UHF.

#172041 - 04/26/09 02:20 PM Re: Looking for a portable digital TV [Re: hazeywolf]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Think I'd rather carry a radio with local tv reception.

It will be interesting to see what others think about digital reception when used in emergencies.

#172047 - 04/26/09 02:54 PM Re: Looking for a portable digital TV [Re: CJK]
fj60 Offline
Stranger

I recently bought a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 950Q Hybrid TV USB Stick for my laptop -- for less than the cost of a portable digital TV. This model works on both Macs and Windows (check the computer system requirements before purchasing); plus it comes with a little antenna that's not too bad in a pinch. You can pick up a better set of rabbit ears just about anywhere for 7 bucks.

My laptop most certainly requires more battery power than a little portable digital TV but, now that my B&W battery powered analog TV is obsolete, I didn't want to acquire yet another gizmo (requiring special batteries, no doubt).

Scott
New Orleans

#172048 - 04/26/09 03:21 PM Re: Looking for a portable digital TV [Re: jshannon]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: jshannon

Is there a portable radio capable of picking up digital TV signals yet? I agree that TV news stations are often better updated than radio stations in many locations, but a portable radio doesn't help you if it can't decode that digital TV signal.

I've been meaning to get into HD radio for a long time but the expense has kept me away. Not sure if that's going to be the same situation with radio models that can pick up digital TV.

#172116 - 04/27/09 11:20 AM Re: Looking for a portable digital TV [Re: Arney]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: jshannon

Is there a portable radio capable of picking up digital TV signals yet? I agree that TV news stations are often better updated than radio stations in many locations, but a portable radio doesn't help you if it can't decode that digital TV signal.

If you search the archives, I've long been a vocal opponent to the DTV cutover - in my area, now that the cutover is partially complete, I've got only 3 stations - CBS out of Philly, and a terrible local station and a PBS affiliate. Reception is spotty with a large outdoor antenna and is simply impossible with a portable antenna.

It's not just fringe areas. The place where I get my hair cut is in Manhattan, and they have an older television with a converter box and rabbit ears. The signal stalls, cuts out, pixellates and generally is unreliable.

After June when the full cutover happens, we'll see just how bad this debacle is.

To the others who suggest the Hauppauge or Pinacle USB stick - that's what I use, as I don't own a television. We use a laptop computer for the 3 times a year we need/want to see live television. The rest of the time it's hulu.com or DVD's from Netflix.

HD Radio is not the same as digital television audio and I've been experimenting with that too, via rental cars when I travel for business. In a word: meh. I didn't find anything that spectacular in HD radio, the usability of the channelization plan leaves a lot to be desired. In many ways it's silly that they attempted to keep the archaic "frequency" nomenclature of old radio instead of using the "Channel" metaphor like XM/Sirius or plain old television.

As far as signal quality and features for HD radio, it wasn't really that big a deal as far as I could tell. Certainly better audio quality for AM stations, but the signal does not have the reach of the old analog systems and like all digital signals, you can't lose some of the signal without losing all of it.

All in all, it's a case where newer is definitely not actually better. Unlike the conversion of cell phone service to digital, which brought a lot of improvements, the conversion of broadcast services to digital has been very poorly executed.

#172118 - 04/27/09 11:35 AM Re: Looking for a portable digital TV [Re: MartinFocazio]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I want to thank the people who mentioned the USB sticks.
I had not thought of that.
It is an avenue I will be exploring with my desk top machines I guess, but do they have a card version that I can simply install in an unused slot instead?

#172199 - 04/27/09 07:22 PM Re: Looking for a portable digital TV [Re: fj60]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I wouldn't mind the HDTV USB antenna for the laptop....and/or the portable digital tv....yes I am looking at the reviews for them at ebay and amazon....what I am looking for is if anyone has any PERSONAL experience with either the port. tv or the USB tuner......

#172237 - 04/28/09 12:33 AM Re: Looking for a portable digital TV [Re: scafool]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: scafool
I want to thank the people who mentioned the USB sticks.
I had not thought of that.
It is an avenue I will be exploring with my desk top machines I guess, but do they have a card version that I can simply install in an unused slot instead?

Yes, there's many, Hauppauge and Pinnacle being the more common models.

They come in USB and PCI cards. About the same price.

You'll need at least a 2.4Ghz machine, with 1 GB of RAM or better.

Mac/PC and with some tinkering, Linux all work.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.