The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#172144 - 04/27/09 02:58 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I have a fold-up stove similiar to the Esbit one. I also have one of those emergency Esbit stoves (got it with a French RCIR 24-hour ration). They are pretty sturdy and can withstand several folding and unfoldings.

The fold-up stoves allow you to adjust the heat slightly but opening/closing the stove to different angles. The emergency stove really doesn't allow for that.

#172173 - 04/27/09 06:07 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: Matt]
Fox10 Offline

Matt,

Just wanted to say thanks for mentioning out site. I do a lot of work photographing our products so when I see a photo I've taken on a forum, I always appreciate out site mentioned.

Jim, By the way, nice job on the kit!

www.bepreparedtosurvive.com

#172181 - 04/27/09 06:37 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: Fox10]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I think it's probably better to stick to the folding stove because someone mentioned I was gonna carry the bulk of the fuel-tabs anyway.

#172244 - 04/28/09 01:47 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
Great kit, not too much, not too little. I agree with the need for a wool watch cap and gloves, they are year-round kit for me. Some may be able to use self restraint to lighten their load, not me. I have to have the smallest possible pack, or I fill it up with "stuff".
I have a Swede surplus Trangia alcohol stove, and an Esbit stove, and, well, too many stoves.
I made a simple windscreen/pot holder from pieces of sheet metal. I cut sheet metal to 3"X16" pieces, three each, and cut slots in the ends of each piece so they interlock with each other forming a triangle. This lets me use Esbit tabs, trioxane bars, the alcohol stove, or just small pieces of wood, for a fire and holds the pot up off the flame. When not in use, they come apart and lay flat in a stay or even bladder sleeve or the bottom of my pack, and weigh very little.
Just an idea.

Edited by EdD270 (04/28/09 01:50 AM)
Edit Reason: typos

#172249 - 04/28/09 03:37 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Nice Kit Jim, I am going to "borrow" some ideas from you, Thanks.

Mike

#172415 - 04/29/09 08:34 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: Mike_H]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Thats why I like the little wood burning stoves - pack things inside them and you can burn just about anything for fuel

#172448 - 04/30/09 01:58 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Very nice setup. What about about replacing the folder with a small fixed blade? Recently I have read somewhere something like "whatever might break away will break away" smile. If I overlooked a mention of a fixed blade somewhere, Iīm sorry.

Regarding the discussion about bag with one sling versus a backpack, well, give me a backpack any day for hiking an/or even for urban carry. I wouldnīt be able to stand carrying fully loaded bag over one shoulder even for 500 metres. Too much problems with it (not healthy, not practical for running or rapid movements, climbing etc). But itīs just me.

#172466 - 04/30/09 08:06 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: raptor]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I don't think I'll need the extra capabilities of a fixed blade, so a folder will work fine. Also you could get some strange looks over here for carrying a fixed-blade knife.

Fortunately, the jumbo als has a belt-loop which you can use to take some of the load of the shoulder strap.

#172467 - 04/30/09 08:41 AM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: raptor]
LED Offline
Veteran

I prefer backpacks but shoulder bags have their place. For one thing, its easier to retrieve an item from a shoulder bag than a backpack as you don't have to take if off first, it can blend in with dress/business attire more easily, and I think they are generally less noticeable.

#172519 - 04/30/09 09:39 PM Re: What I carry outdoors/hiking-kit [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Jim, I like it. Mostly.

My concern is that it is a shoulder bag, and carrying my EDC in a Jumbo I know that after the first few miles it starts to suck. When I hike, I either put it all in a small ruck, or on a chest harness (I can prop my arms on the top of the two pouches, I look very content- a friend described it last weekend as the "happy budda of doom" look). BUT, your spine isn't mine, so...

In terms of gear, since you already have a SERE saw in your SOL, I might think about a wood saw blade in the kit rather than another hacksaw blade bit in the PSP. I know you have your multi with you, right? If not, a multi or a SAK and a pair of pliers.

On the topic of the stove, one possibility is to use a small coffee can that you've added vent holes to, and replace the Nalgene with a Guyoet bottle so you still have something to boil in. But that is why I have a bigger bag- I carry two Guyoets, a GSI space saver, AND the mini wood stove. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.