Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#172050 - 04/26/09 04:12 PM YIKES! I accidentally Deleted the Flu Thread!
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Folks, I am SO SORRY - I accidentally deleted the ENTIRE flu thread...Totally messed up, I was NOT intending to delete the thread at all...I can't get it back either. My bad. Please, someone re-start it.

#172051 - 04/26/09 04:47 PM US declares public health emergency [Re: MartinFocazio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
US declares public health emergency for swine flu.

So why are the cases in Mexico so much more serious than the cases which have been found in the U.S.?

#172052 - 04/26/09 04:53 PM Re: US declares public health emergency [Re: Russ]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I have a feeling N95 masks are about to be sold out at every Walmart in the country.

If you're shopping for some, they make N95 (P95, etc.) masks that have a one-way flap valve, so it's a lot easier to exhale. It's really worth having that if you're doing anything physical or getting hot. The only real downside is that you can't put them on an infected patient to protect others.

If you're going to the trouble of wearing a mask, you really should be wearing eye protection as well.

#172053 - 04/26/09 05:06 PM Re: YIKES! I accidentally Deleted the Flu Thread! [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Looks like the world is already a month in on what could be the real deal.

http://biosurveillance.typepad.com/biosu...-of-events.html

#172054 - 04/26/09 05:11 PM Re: US declares public health emergency [Re: Russ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
US declares public health emergency for swine flu.

So why are the cases in Mexico so much more serious than the cases which have been found in the U.S.?

Don't know, and I don't know whether they are actually more serious than the ~20 reported cases in the US. I haven't seen an analysis of the cases in Mexico, but a few factors to remember:

- reporting. In Mexico you may see fatalities reported more accurately than cases of swine flu. The top level impression from US media is 100% of those infected in Mexico have died from this flu strain, when in all probability there are a number of un- or under-reported cases of swine flu, of which the reported fatalities are a smaller fraction.
- treatment. Basical health can be sketchy, not everyone can get adequate basic treatment for the flu.
- its a small sample set, but this flu seems more serious in younger folks. Very young quite often can't complain or show serious symptoms until the flu is relatively advanced.

Take heart from the reports on US infections, this seems treatable at home with basic flu treatments.

Edited by Lono (04/26/09 05:12 PM)

#172055 - 04/26/09 05:26 PM Re: YIKES! I accidentally Deleted the Flu Thread! [Re: MartinFocazio]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Can whomever posted the 3 links that included this one:

http://www.newfluwiki2.com/frontPage.do

Please post them again!

#172077 - 04/26/09 09:51 PM Re: YIKES! I accidentally Deleted the Flu Thread! [Re: MartinFocazio]
LED Offline
Veteran

ETS'ers are probably familiar with this site but just in case here it is again.

Promedmail

Edited by LED (04/26/09 09:53 PM)

#172078 - 04/26/09 09:57 PM Re: YIKES! I accidentally Deleted the Flu Thread! [Re: Dagny]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Fifty lashes with a wet noodle for you martinfocazio. Stuff happens. So much for any illusions we had that you were perfect. LOL. No problem.

I'm getting good information, from someone who knows the science and updated several times a day, at:
http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/

Reading down several days should give you a feel for how the story has unfolded. Most posts include links to in-depth sources.

The latest, as of Sunday evening:
http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/2009/04/swine_flu_what_you_dont_know_h.php

#172080 - 04/26/09 10:43 PM Re: YIKES! I accidentally Deleted the Flu Thread! [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I have to admit that I'm rather surprised with how quickly this situation has changed just over the weekend. It's one thing for TV news to repeat this story to death, which we all expect these days, but going from quick reports in the news of isolated cases one day to constant news coverage, and finally to "US declares health emergency" the next day is unusual.

I hope people realize that the declaration of a health emergency (at least this one in the US) is primarily a procedural thing at this stage, like how the governor of a state declares an area to be a disaster zone so that various emergency funding and resources can begin to be mobilized, and not because the situation is critically dangerous, like if Homeland Security's terror alert were raised to red.

Looking at the empty streets of Mexico City now, I can only think how unlucky a blow to business it will be here in the US if people here stay home, even if this swine flu episode fizzles relatively quickly. Malls, retail districts, bars and restaurants, sporting teams, public transit systems--they could all take a really big financial hit that could send many businesses under, considering the precarious situation that many businesses are already in. We're just ramping up and heading towards the busy summer season, so depending on how this situation develops, it could be a bad summer for a lot of industries or countries.

I'm not particularly worried about the disease itself at this moment since we're still so early in the process and there are still so many questions, but I do worry about the economic impact since so many of us are already dancing on thin ice.

#172085 - 04/26/09 11:43 PM Re: YIKES! I accidentally Deleted the Flu Thread! [Re: Dagny]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Still watching, still cautious, getting slightly more concerned.
This still has a fairly low fatality rate, less than 1% I think.

The effects on the world economy will likely be pretty big though.
With the SARS outbreak the economic cost was way out of line with the severity of the outbreak and that makes me suspect the same thing will happen this time.
Airlines, tourism, hospitality, and other travel were the industries that took the biggest hits with SARS.

I see from reports that it has made it to most of the North American continent and as far as New Zealand. I have not heard any reports if it has got into Russia, Asia or India.

BIG EDIT: I was quite wrong on my guess at the fatality rate. After looking at it again it seems to be about 8% in Mexico and 5% over all.

Edited by scafool (04/27/09 09:03 AM)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.