Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#171972 - 04/25/09 02:23 AM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: Eugene]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
In my experience, any large-ish wrench will do. I don't think Roarmeister is calling for a special gas wrench.

A Leatherman may indeed work. But some of these valves have been sitting in one position for 30 years, so in the event of spam/fan you might appreciate some extra leverage.

#171973 - 04/25/09 02:34 AM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ b [Re: survivalperson]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: survivalperson

I don't plan on doing much electrical work, but i am worried about electrocution, thus the current sniffer. I guess i'd like to know if a multimeter would be better for this purpose.

If you're just checking for live AC wires, a non-contact current sniffer is probably the better choice.

A multimeter lets you do a whole lot more, but you need the skills to go with it.

#171980 - 04/25/09 05:07 AM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: survivalperson]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I was issued a EOD breacher bar similar to the one here http://countycomm.com/eodrtool.htm

I instantly fell in love with the thing having fun smashing things and ripping them apart doing renovations here at home. For any urban type BOB it is worth considering. It really spares abuse on your good blades as it holds a decent edge. If you manage to break it then you are a better man than I because I have put mine through hell and back without so much as bending it.

They come in bigger sizes I think

#171993 - 04/25/09 04:15 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: Taurus]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
One thing I would not want to do without in a bug in or bug out is a pop rivet tool and an assortment of rivets. they can be used for repairing packs, sheaths, sheetmetal and lots of other stuff, and for making new things, too. They are small and relatively light weight, especially compared to their usefulness.
Just my thoughts.

#171998 - 04/25/09 05:15 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ b [Re: Taurus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Taurus
I was issued a EOD breacher bar similar to the one here http://countycomm.com/eodrtool.htm

Anybody know another source for these? Countycomm doesn't ship to Canada. Thanks.

#172004 - 04/25/09 07:09 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ b [Re: dougwalkabout]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

If you do go with a digital multimeter, this one is about the minimum I would go with a digital multimeter, you can do basic stuff with it, it is a minimal investment, and makes a decent backup if you want to buy a more substantial meter in the future.

Edited by Crowe (04/25/09 07:10 PM)

#172011 - 04/25/09 09:50 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ b [Re: Crowe]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Good point. You're not going to take a Fluke bench unit with you on a bugout.

I find that I can buy a serviceable, cheapo digital or analog multimeter, on sale, for as little as $10. Basic AC and DC voltage, continuity, and polarity checks.

And if they get stolen or run over by a truck, you're not going to cry.

#172030 - 04/26/09 03:33 AM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ b [Re: survivalperson]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Yeah, I can see where a current sniffer might be nice, but couldn't you just short the wires or lock out the circuit before touching it?
I will share something about cutting sheet metal too.
If you scribe (score) it with a sharp blade, like a utility knife, and start folding it on the scribe line it will come apart there.
You don't want to fold it right over, that would put a bend in the sheet, but just enough to stress the scribed line.
This is effective on steel and on aluminum sheet, often it is the fastest way to cut it. Even faster than a saw.

#172036 - 04/26/09 12:07 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ b [Re: dougwalkabout]
NIM Offline

Hi Dougwalkabout,

You're a Canadian so I have some serious advice... Buy everything that you 'need' now. Do not delay. Do not wait. 60% of my suppliers have stopped shipping to Canada. Soon, you won't be able to get any good equipment that isn't made in Canada. The trend is accelerating!

You can buy that bar here:
http://www.endtimesreport.com/survival_shop.html

-NIM

#172042 - 04/26/09 02:32 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ b [Re: scafool]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: scafool
Yeah, I can see where a current sniffer might be nice, but couldn't you just short the wires or lock out the circuit before touching it?

If there were wires down from a major storm, blocking the road or covering your car, for example, the sniffer would tell you if they're hot. Though I don't know if I'd trust it far enough to get out the bolt cutters and start snipping, and we all know what electrical crews and EMS would say about that ...

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/26/09 02:32 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Eugene, Jeanette_Isabelle), 234 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.