Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172008 - 04/25/09 09:04 PM This is service
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

All to often we have to share information about what doesn't work more than what does.

My 30 year + Silva Ranger was the last aluminum bezel unit at
my backpacking store.

This was the compass I bought with my G.I. Bill check along with a 4 season down bag after freezing in the desert.

Lately the needle swings a bit longer before settling, there is debri floating around- probably from the seal and the 3 rubber map pads are close to falling apart.

So,I emailed Silva asking if the rubber pads were available.

Instead, without proof of purchase I was sent a current Silva
Expedition 15!

Now, do not abuse their goodwill claiming failed compasses!
But if you want a 30+ year product ( and my old unit still points true) without performance concerns ( by product or customer support)- get a SWEDISH SILVA.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/25/09 09:06 PM)

#172009 - 04/25/09 09:21 PM Re: This is service [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Nice to see old-fashioned service in the age of disposables.

I haven't had dealings with Silva, but I can tell you that Leatherman has stepped up more than once, no questions asked.

#172012 - 04/25/09 10:22 PM Re: This is service [Re: dougwalkabout]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
After Dad passed, I found his old Zippo lighter -- it must have been 50 or so years old at the time. The striker wheel was stuck, so I sent it off to Zippo for repair. They repaired the old lighter insert (fixed the stuck wheel) AND sent me a new lighter insert: cost was zero. They are serious when they say "never charged for repair, never will."

#172013 - 04/25/09 10:27 PM Re: This is service [Re: bws48]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
That's a great story. My dad has a metal-bezel compass too. I suspect it's similar to your, but can't verify the brand right now, being in 2 different states.

Nice to see that, if it's a Silva, they'll last as long as he will!

#172040 - 04/26/09 01:55 PM Re: This is service [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Pharaoh Offline

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands.
I've had the same experience with Silva.
Seven years after the warranty had expired the luminous glow in the dark stuff inside seemed to be dissolving, or so I thought.
The fluid started to become -ever so slightly- cloudy. Otherwise, the compass performed flawlessly. Concerned, I sent them an email describing things.

They asked me to send them the compass on their expense so they could examine the matter.
Shortly after, my compass was returned to me with a brand new capsule installed AND they returned the old one as well, with as said was working fine.

Now hold on. Upon receiving the repaired compass back I noticed the capsule was different than what I had. I had degrees, and it came back with Mills....
Another email and off it went back to Silva again.
Compass was returned very quickly with the correct new degrees capsule plus a friendly note apologizing for the inconveinience!
It didn't cost me one cent.
Actually, I felt a bit ashamed afterward complaining about such a minor thing.

Bottom line... I was entitled to abosolutely nothing warranty-wise but Silva decided to go the extra 10! miles and replace a perfectly good compass because I complained about the fluid not being crystal clear anymore. Customer satisfaction is not just something they talk about, it's what they live by. All I can say is if you need a compass get a Silva, it's a sure bet.
Pharaoh.

#172049 - 04/26/09 03:54 PM Re: This is service [Re: Pharaoh]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Once again, just to be clear, there are two different "Silva" companies out there.

In the U.S., if the label says "Silva", its is sold by Johnson Outdoors and made by, uh, somone other than Silva of Sweden (the original Silva).

Outside the U.S., if the label says "Silva", it is most likely made and sold by Silva of Sweden, though ever since Silva bought Brunton in 1996 -(also when they "lost" the U.S. trademark), they also sell some compasses designed/built by Brunton (the green ones & the Eclipse models).

Chris' original Silva (30 years old makes it pre-1996) was made by Silva of Sweden http://www.silva.se.

Silva of Sweden makes the Expedition 15 that Chris described, so he must have contacted Silva of Sweden, OR Brunton in the U.S., which is owned by Silva of Sweden.

The other Silva is really just a U.S. trademark for Silva held by Johnson Outdoors. Their mirrored sighting compass is the Ranger 515.

The version of the Expedition 15 that is sold in the U.S. is the Brunton 15TDCL. If you compare the Silva SE Expedition 15 with the Brunton 15TDCL you'll see they are identical - except the Expedition's dial is black - the Brunton's is red.

Chris: (1) I'm glad Silva SE kept you as a happy customer. All companies need to back their products. (2) Is the dial on your new compass black or red?

Ken

#172070 - 04/26/09 09:01 PM Re: This is service [Re: KenK]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My compass has a black dial, shipped directly from Sweden.

#172081 - 04/26/09 11:14 PM Re: This is service [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Sweet!!

#172104 - 04/27/09 02:11 AM Re: This is service [Re: KenK]
GradyT34 Offline

The biggist problem I've had is storing my compasses too close. It will not take long before they are no longer accurate. I still see the following storage packs, and wander if they are too close:

http://www.silva.se/sv/Produkter/Compasses/Utbildningspaket/?productId=%7b3D859035-CF48-4A53-BCF7-FB3B29AEB4EF%7d

#172115 - 04/27/09 11:06 AM Re: This is service [Re: dougwalkabout]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
++ On leatherman. I once sent them a tool where I had - as a result of my own idiocy - snapped the blade. I sent it in with a letter stating I'd be willing to pay whatever the cost of a repair was - they simply refused to accept payment and sent be back a full rehabbed tool.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.