Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#177797 - 07/27/09 02:16 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: GradyT34]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: GradyT34
If all you can do is pole fish, your wasting space in a survival kit by including any artificial lure.

Mild disagreement. It depends on how much of a kit, that is, how much space there is in your kit. The very, very small ice fishing spoons are not much bigger than a hook and are very effective on many, many species as they work without the need for bait as small minnow imitations (near universal bait) and are also designed to work tipped with bait. These lures are the kind of multi-taskers I would recommend for all but the most restricted survival kits.

But then, get any two fishermen together ....

An example (recommend the nickle back): http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/hardspoons/demon.html

Edited by dweste (07/27/09 03:27 PM)

#177806 - 07/27/09 03:10 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: dweste]
pteron Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
One survival instructor I talked to reckoned that the fishing kit was included to keep you occupied. If he really wanted to catch fish, he'd use a gill net.

#177809 - 07/27/09 03:14 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
pole fishing with a big spoon is a method used around here for Pike.a long pole with heavy line and a red and white spoon that is swished side ways will attract big hungry fish.but your kit has to have what the fish around your possible survival area go for.i don't think a big spoon would catch anything in a trout brook in Pennsylvania.

#177813 - 07/27/09 03:22 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

As the story goes: Dee Thomas, often called the Father of Flipping, used what he called an old Italian technique to win too many bass tournaments. The technique was to use a very long pole with a little very heavy line on the end to figure-eight a surface lure in bassy-looking spots. Tournament rules to kill that technique restricted poles to eight feet in length so Thomas developed flipping to compensate. Pitching developed from there. Survival folks might want to go Italian on this one?!

Edited by dweste (07/27/09 03:23 PM)

#178276 - 07/31/09 05:45 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
pole fishing with a big spoon is a method used around here for Pike.a long pole with heavy line and a red and white spoon that is swished side ways will attract big hungry fish.but your kit has to have what the fish around your possible survival area go for.i don't think a big spoon would catch anything in a trout brook in Pennsylvania.

I would have to disagree... I have caught many a trout using the standard red/white spoon.

There are a couple of lures that I think are useful to carry.

1)spoon
2)rooster tail spinner
3)artificial minnow
4)I also like those small ice fishing type spoons/tear drops.

Now, without having a reel, it is tricky to get them to work right, but not impossible... By hand winding the line back onto something, you can get a decent action out of a lure.

Live bait is typically regarded as your best solution as you will use whatever bait you can find in the area you are fishing in, which would be a good match to catch local fish.

If you really need some fish, a gill net would be superior and folds quite compactly, esp if vacuum packed.

#178312 - 07/31/09 10:49 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Mike_H]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Mike, I think Canoedogs point was about the size of the spoons used for larger pike. I doubt if you are going to be using spoons 4 or 6 inches long for brook trout.

You are right about mepps spinners and small spoons being good for trout though. One of my favourites is a chartreuse little cleo spoon.
But lure fishing is an active method.

The reason for using baited trot lines and such methods is that they are passive methods. I can rig a set of lines and let them catch fish while I do other tasks.

#178414 - 08/02/09 02:37 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: scafool]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
This has been a really informative thread, thanks everyone.

How would you use a gill net? Set it up to block a small stream and the fish get caught in it?

#178425 - 08/02/09 04:25 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: urbansurvivalist]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: urbansurvivalist
How would you use a gill net? Set it up to block a small stream and the fish get caught in it?

Never used one but I can think of several uses, all involve putting the net where you think fish must or will swim. Blocking a small stream, or branch of a stream or river, creating such a smaller passaage with rocks, one person holding out the net while fish are driven toward them, and maybe set up on a handle and swwept through the water.

Hopefully someone who really knows will post.

#178433 - 08/02/09 06:24 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: dweste]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
For you guys in the lower 48, what are your local laws and regs about having/using a gill net?

#178434 - 08/02/09 06:37 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: DannyL]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

CA illegal

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.