Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#171860 - 04/23/09 08:09 AM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: JCWohlschlag]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Dweste asked a similar question about tool kit for his boat.
You have to look at what tools you are likely to use in both his case and yours.
With a land kit you need to look at multiple use more while on a boat you can inventory every piece of machinery and each material and have the tools specific to it.
Also on land you have better opportunities to get a specific tool if you need it.
You will have access to garages, machinery shops and hardware stores, even if they are pretty much rubble.
So for working wire a good pair of end nippers or lineman's (electrician's) pliers.
Something to smash and bash with? A 16oz carpenter's hammer.

But again this all depends on what it weighs and what kind of an area you will be in. It also depends on what other equipment you have.
For example, if you wear eyeglasses you need at least one spare pair plus a repair kit. Luckily the kit for glasses is very small and light.
On the other hand a sledge hammer or fireman's axe would be nice for going through doors, but it weighs about 10lbs, is not likely to get used, is an awkward size to carry and there will likely be other ways of doing the same thing.
______
An aside, you do have safety glasses don't you? If not get some. If you need prescription get a pair of safety glasses in prescription and add a set of goggles that fit over them into your kit too. You don't want to get blinded when you are in a crisis.
Throw in a pair of work gloves too, no sense dying from an infected scratch.)
_______

There was a thread here about a household toolkit that might help.
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=12656&Number=161975#Post161946

If you enter "tools" in the forum's search box you might get a few other useful threads too.

Edited by scafool (04/23/09 08:30 AM)

#171868 - 04/23/09 12:47 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: MedB]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: MedB
I have to ask, why Tin Snips?

Good tin snips are like scissors on steroids. They can cut paper, cloth, string and so on.....but they can also cut heavier duty items like sheetmetal, wire, some plastics, ect.

#171909 - 04/23/09 07:05 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: Paul810]
MedB Offline

Thanks, Paul.

But I guess that was my point. Paper, cloth, string can all be cut with the knife. And metal and wire with the hacksaw and wire cutters respectively.

There are lots of tools I would like to have, but I was just thinking for a limited space/weight BOB are tin snips a luxury.

#171910 - 04/23/09 09:35 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: MedB]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: MedB
Thanks, Paul.

But I guess that was my point. Paper, cloth, string can all be cut with the knife. And metal and wire with the hacksaw and wire cutters respectively.

There are lots of tools I would like to have, but I was just thinking for a limited space/weight BOB are tin snips a luxury.

It depends how much room you've got I guess.

The main reason I like to keep them around as they do quick and clean work with sheet metal. That might not seem like it's worth much, but it's difficult to do with a knife or hacksaw, and sheet metal is a fairly common building material. You can find it just about anywhere (think of how much sheet metal you could get off the average car). From there, you can make a lot of various things (cooking implements, stoves, blades, arrow heads, scrapers, lock picks/slim jims, window coverings, roofing material, ect). I've even used it for impromptu auto body work when 4-wheeling. wink

Besides that, it is still a strong multi-purpose cutting implement...meaning it isn't just specialized to sheet metal. That gives it value in my book as something I would want to have around.

Do I keep one in my bug-out bag? No. Then again, I don't keep much in there as far as hand tools go anyway. But, do I have them throughout my home and vehicles, in all my tool kits? You betcha. smile

#171915 - 04/23/09 11:18 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: Paul810]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Also, if you happen to have anything in your bug out bag that is packaged in one of those blister packs, you are pretty much going to need the tin snips to get that darn package open… at least without tearing your hands up.

Man, I hate those things.

#171929 - 04/24/09 02:59 AM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: JCWohlschlag]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I personally wouldn't bug in or out without an electrical multimeter. You can't fix stuff if you can't diagnose the problem, and you can't improvise lighting or communications if you don't know what power you have available.

#171932 - 04/24/09 11:15 AM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: dougwalkabout]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

With bugging in you have a lot more space/resources available than with bugging out since your not limited to what you can carry. Tin scips for example since they were discussed above, I have a small toolbox in my garage with metalworking tools, tin snips, pop rivets, a few assorted taps and dies, calipers, hammer, center punch, hack saw blades, etc are all in it. Bugging in its available should I need it but doesn't get listed as part of my bug in/out gear since its not necessarially dedicated to either of those tasks. I have another box with welding stuff by my welder, a box of accessories and tools for the drill press beside it, a box of wooddorking tools, etc.

Bug out Bag is different, this is gear that can be used to bug in but take with me should I need to bug out or when I take overnight trips should I need to bug in or out from there. This has: case for my leatherman so I can move it to my belt rather then pocket.
Buck 110 knife for when the leatherman knife blade is too small.
AA/AAA battery charger with 120v and 12v cords (maha c401fs), bunch of eneloops (AA NiMH low self discharge rechargeables) and a bulk pack of AA's (non rechargeable).
Two flashlights, AA Mag lights, one of them LED.
Baggie full of breakfast and granola bars
Baggie with sample size soaps, shampoo, etc
Baggie with firestarting stuff, lighters, matches, etc
Spare socks
Handheld CB radio to communicate back with the BOV (truck)
Handheld scanner to listed to whats going on around.
spare battery packs/carriers for both loaded with batteries.
bottles of water
leatherman tool adapter and various bits
Three leatherman micras, EL, S4, P4
Small binoculers
Small first aid kit
roll of quarters
traskbags and baggies
handheld GPS with maps.

#171961 - 04/24/09 11:28 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ b [Re: scafool]
survivalperson Offline
Journeyman

All good comments. I'm divided on whether to include tin snips and a fire extinguisher.

I don't plan on doing much electrical work, but i am worried about electrocution, thus the current sniffer. I guess i'd like to know if a multimeter would be better for this purpose.

I don't want to carry much weight, but i think the bolt cutters and pry bar are really important.I'll probably ditch the Entrenching tool.

I do have goggles and gloves and respirators as my personal protection group. I am just asking about the tool group.

#171962 - 04/24/09 11:41 PM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: survivalperson]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Add a suitable wrench located near by or tethered to you gas regulator in case of tornado/hurricane, etc.

#171970 - 04/25/09 02:00 AM Re: List of tool capabilities for urban bug out/ bug i [Re: Roarmeister]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Add a suitable wrench located near by or tethered to you gas regulator in case of tornado/hurricane, etc.

I've never understood the need for having a gas wrench, every gas valve I've ever seen I was able to shut off with plain old adjustable wrench, pliers, or even my leatherman.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.