The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#171664 - 04/19/09 10:24 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: cousinit]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I have a mini grip where both springs blew on mine after about 4-5 months of use... It was a pocket carry and really was a daily user for misc things. Emailed BM, and got two springs sent to me via USPS since I'm out of country (easier then trying to send the knife to the status for repair then send it back where i'd probably get charged duty again).

I was thinking of contacting them and getting a few more springs and keep them in my EDC bag for when they blow again (its not 'if' but rather 'when'). I wonder what the cost would be since it wouldn't be a 'warranty repair'?

btw: its a very easy repair and can even be done in the wilderness if you have the right torx bit.

Edited by Kris (04/19/09 10:25 PM)
Edit Reason: more info

#171687 - 04/20/09 05:26 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: MDinana]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Izzy, if you're not using it, I'll take it smile
I didn't see you mention it, but did the knife still "work?" Could it still open/close, being off-center?

It's not really off center. It opens and closes fine, just lacks the spring action. I'm sure that I could do the insert a twig trick easily with it.

#171688 - 04/20/09 05:29 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: BrianB]
BrianB Offline

@Izzy: What blade steel is yours? I've got the 154CM, and I'm pretty impressed with the ability to hold an edge. That said it's not the best edge, and I think the Ritter grips probably have a lot better blade profile, but for general purpose use, it's good enough.

#171694 - 04/20/09 10:19 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: BrianB]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
True, early Grips were 440C.

#171706 - 04/20/09 03:26 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've got around 50 Benchmade knives in my collection, but a Grip isn't one of them. Something about them always put me off. I don't want to say that they feel cheap, because that isn't really it. It's more along the lines of, they just don't feel solid/dependable, even if they are. I think it has to do with the hollow FRN handle scales and short axis module (instead of full liners).

Instead of the mini-grip, I much prefer the 705/707 series, as well as the 525 mini-Presidio. Sure, they're significantly more expensive, but they've got a much more substantial feel to them that inspires confidence. For a blade of that size they're pretty overbuilt, but not to the point that would make it a useless sharpened pry-bar.

As someone that has carried a 705 since they came out in a 154cm blade, I have to say I'm very happy with it. Many years of daily pocket carry without ever an issue. I know the Grip series is popular, but they just aren't for me. blush

#171738 - 04/20/09 10:29 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: Kris]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Kris

btw: its a very easy repair and can even be done in the wilderness if you have the right torx bit.

Hi Kris -- Speak for yerself! ;-)

I've taken apart my Grips, and found why Benchmade doesn't want you doing it. In general, I found it a PITA to get it back together, but not impossible either.

I've seen reports on knifeforums everywhere from "I don't know what you were smoking, it is a breeze to put back together." to "I gave up. I couldn't get it back together.".

Oh, and the bit is kind of hard to find. I ended up just ordering the kit from Benchmade.

From what I hear, spring failure is rare, but not unheard of. As Doug points out, you can improvise in a pinch.

-john

#171741 - 04/20/09 10:53 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: JohnN]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
All you need to fully disassemble and reassemble a Grip is a T6 and T10 torx drivers available at any WalMart or Hardware store.

Takes about 15 minutes.

#171745 - 04/20/09 11:25 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
At one time I liked the way the mini-Grips looked. I handled one in a store and just didn't care for the axis lock very much. Personal preference I guess. I didn't even think about the mechanism inside (little springs) at the time, but hearing about that now makes me feel better about not buying that mini-Grip. I got a Spyderco lockback instead. I've always wondered if the mini-Grip might have been a good choice too, since so many people seem to like them. But that "little springs" thing gives me pause...

#171746 - 04/20/09 11:39 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: JohnN]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: JohnN
Originally Posted By: Kris

Hi Kris -- Speak for yerself! ;-)

I've taken apart my Grips, and found why Benchmade doesn't want you doing it. In general, I found it a PITA to get it back together, but not impossible either.

I've seen reports on knifeforums everywhere from "I don't know what you were smoking, it is a breeze to put back together." to "I gave up. I couldn't get it back together.".

Oh, and the bit is kind of hard to find. I ended up just ordering the kit from Benchmade.

From what I hear, spring failure is rare, but not unheard of. As Doug points out, you can improvise in a pinch.

-john

I'm not mechanically inclined by any means and I had it completed in about 10-15 mins... trying to remember what the tedious part of it (i think it was keeping the springs in the right spot while getting the scales on with the blade in place)... heck, I'll take it apart tonight when i have some time and try to remember the process (i'm sure there's a youtube video about it!).

I do remember it wasn't difficult and was surprised.

#171748 - 04/21/09 12:16 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip Failure [Re: Kris]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

See what I mean? :-)

-john

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 181 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.