Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#171560 - 04/17/09 07:27 PM Re: Classics [Re: Schwert]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Schwert,

You make me feel unworthy to even hold a camera. Everything about your pictures is perfect. The lighting, the composition of elements, the colors... wow. Just wow!

-Blast, who bows down before you.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#171564 - 04/17/09 08:00 PM Re: Classics [Re: oldsoldier]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I am too old to use an ugly knife grin

I had Paul make this one for me especially as it reminded me of my Dad's old Case. He carried it on evey hunt and I was sad to not find it after he died. This one has about the same form but in a much nicer package. Classic lines with a bit more spice.

Thanks Blast, I got lucky on the light that day. Very overcast with light rain gave me a giant light box with low glare.

#171567 - 04/17/09 08:31 PM Re: Classics [Re: Schwert]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I just recently took a pic of my EDC for a post on here... harsh overhead light. I might redo them on a better day now. Your pic makes mine look pretty crap. LOL

#171571 - 04/17/09 09:21 PM Re: Classics [Re: massacre]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Taking decent photos is one are where the old Classics have been supplanted with new tech.

Old Classic techniques of composition and light are still spot on, but new digital cameras make the job much easier.

I think many folks could easily bump up their photo skills with five simple tricks...

1) Tripod (or some camera support) used nearly 100% of the time.

2) Study the camera manual...especially for close up work. Most digital cameras have close focus abilites that are super....just have to use them.

3) Light...bright direct light is rarely your friend. Holding a coat, tarp or other screen over your layout to prevent direct glaring light can work wonders. And since your are using your tripod and self-timer you can modify the light.

4) Crop hard...get rid off all the wasted space around the focal point of an image. Support players are fine, but you don't need to see all of them.

5) Watch depth-of-field. Try and keep the stuff of interest sharp...other stuff can go out of sharp focus (even though most people dislike strong out-of-focus elements). This means you have to have a camera with the capability to set f-stops...and cannot shoot on "P" or Auto all the time.

Here is another Savage.....classic droppoint hunter.

Muted indoor side light. Cropped hard. Tripod of course. Closeup mode.

Closer even....cropped even harder, (with distracting waxpaper highlights), tripod and closeup mode.

#171596 - 04/18/09 06:46 PM Re: Classics [Re: Schwert]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Many great classics have been mentioned...I carry a cotton Handkerchief with me in addition to my Keys, a Flashlight (county comm LED), Cellular Phone, Small FAK, Wallet, Pen (Parker Jotter) and a small pocket knife.

Stargazer

#171598 - 04/18/09 08:11 PM Re: Classics [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Izzy,

How well do the pliers work on the Swiss Champ, I have never used them?

Thanks,

Mike

#171609 - 04/19/09 12:16 AM Re: Classics [Re: Schwert]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: Schwert
There are just tons of classics. I love my wool and canvas creations by Filson....old time classics with history, that work.

Here is a real new classic for me...

Paul Savage Forged Narrow Bladed Hunter

I had Paul make me a knife my Dad would instantly recognize....well almost instantly that is.

Ooooh...it's a beaut, Schwert! I love the hamon on it.

#171611 - 04/19/09 12:24 AM Re: Classics [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
My classics are a Victorinox Hunter and USGI steel canteen cup. They are about 30 years old and still in use. My Silva compass is only around 20 years old. I have new canteens, but the cover is original and needs to be tossed for an upgrade very soon.

Of those three, the most used is the cup. It's blackened, has a little ding in it and is old, but those are character marks to me. I still use it every camping trip. But since I don't use the cover, it usually resides in the camp cooking box.

#171614 - 04/19/09 12:57 AM Re: Classics [Re: aloha]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I still have an original Sierra cup that gets regular use.

#171656 - 04/19/09 09:24 PM Re: Classics [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
11BINF Offline

Loc: phx. az. u.s.a
hi Chris..for my classic kit its my old large A.L.I.C.E. rucksack ,NO#4MK1 Enfield,German messtin,military field dressings,my Jeep(Daisey),aussie hoochie and lastly my Mora 2ooo..also most of those items in your kit list are my classics as well... vince g. 11b inf...

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.