Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171274 - 04/14/09 09:31 AM proposed Cybersecurity Act
LED Offline
Veteran

Just read about this proposed senate bill. Knowing we have some resident experts on hand I thought I'd ask, is it even possible to shut down the internet? If so, wouldn't that cause even more problems?

Quote:

A recently proposed but little-noticed Senate bill would allow the federal government to shut down the Internet in times of declared emergency, and enables unprecedented federal oversight of private network administration.

The bill's draft states that "the president may order a cybersecurity emergency and order the limitation or shutdown of Internet traffic" and would give the government ongoing access to "all relevant data concerning (critical infrastructure) networks without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule, or policy restricting such access."

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Cybersecurity_Act_seeks_broad_powers_0413.html

#171275 - 04/14/09 11:07 AM Re: proposed Cybersecurity Act [Re: LED]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Scary huh?

Not only does it give broad sweeping unlimited powers to the President, you can be sure he will pass those powers down to an
"Internet Czar".

This is a law that is plain stupid. Shut the internet down instead of shutting down access to sites that are being attacked, yeah ok that makes sense to someone. Just not me.

How much did the taxpayers spend last year to guard against "internet attacks" ?

Hey, Al Gore invented the Internet, let him figure out how to secure it.

#171282 - 04/14/09 01:55 PM Re: proposed Cybersecurity Act [Re: LED]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Cybersecurity Act would give president power to 'shut down' Internet

Er, the Internet is a whole lot bigger than the little bit of the super information highway ring road based in North America. Closing down that small part of the information highway only really serves just to keep the drivers using that little bit of the super information highway ill informed about what would be going on in the rest of the highway. But then again maybe thats the idea behind that proposed piece of legislation. whistle

They already have major traffic light operations on the super information superhighway on the borders with China only allowing compliant information to pass through those traffic lights.

Quote:
is it even possible to shut down the internet?

From the perspective of the average user using the internet then the answer is Yes. A US Government official would just tell the compliant ISPs (under threat of being prosecuted under the new law) to drop their customers connections and then refuse those reconnections at the ISPs Remote Access Servers.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/14/09 02:02 PM)

#171284 - 04/14/09 02:09 PM Re: proposed Cybersecurity Act [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, basically hold the legitimate ISP owners/operators hostage with legal threats, then any traffic left on the net gets hunted down and the servers get slammed by the feds.

#171296 - 04/14/09 03:52 PM Re: proposed Cybersecurity Act [Re: benjammin]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
so, PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.; control of information. Ah, I have SERIOUS issues with this...

#171309 - 04/14/09 05:22 PM Re: proposed Cybersecurity Act [Re: oldsoldier]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Maybe I am lacking in imagination, but could someone describe a scenario where shutting down the Internet would be a benefit?

#171312 - 04/14/09 05:37 PM Re: proposed Cybersecurity Act [Re: GarlyDog]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Maybe I am lacking in imagination, but could someone describe a scenario where shutting down the Internet would be a benefit?

Nope. No such scenario exists. Shutting down the Internet would just be wrong. Wrong!

#171316 - 04/14/09 05:43 PM Re: proposed Cybersecurity Act [Re: jdavidboyd]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Only if we are truly afraid of "Skynet" Then shutting it down might be for the greater good. See T3

#171321 - 04/14/09 06:27 PM Re: proposed Cybersecurity Act [Re: benjammin]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Garleydog,

Your nephew has been online 12 hours straight.
the once pristine keyboard is full of peanut butter and strawberry jam, m&m shrapnel only an afternoon over an anthill can clean and he's talking in gibberish about blogs and other words you at first take to be Anglo Saxon.
His eyesite has been irrevocably damaged and carpel tunnel syndrome in his wrists.All this and he can't even vote or drink yet.

You discover hidden files popping up with some Delilah dancing
for him, your own security protocals overridden and some ukrainian hacker is probably poised to take control of what is left.

And THAT is when the internet needs to be shut down and sling shots sent as a cultural stimulus plan to every household across America.

#171322 - 04/14/09 06:28 PM Re: proposed Cybersecurity Act [Re: benjammin]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Of course. I forgot about Cyberdyne Systems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.