The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#171167 - 04/12/09 03:39 PM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: KenK]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Somewhere on Doug's equipment blog - probably over a year ago - there's mention of a survival saw from a particular vendor. I picked one up, and still carry it in my pack - the advantage of the one that Doug recommended was the handles are sturdier, basically nylon webbing with good attachments, not metal rings which I have actually seen tear off when sawing (though I can't say about this particular model). The pocket chainsaw works, but when I'm out hiking and clearing trail with others as a community service (Scouts) I'll carry at least a sven saw, which makes quicker work of cutting.

My best friend for cutting though is a trusty Stihl 290 Farm Boss, although that would involve hihacking the thread. Great chainsaw, though won't fit in my pocket.

#171227 - 04/13/09 06:29 PM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: Lono]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I have and have used the pocket chainsaw and the saber saw (the new version with cutting teeth in both directions). The new Saber saw I think actually may cut faster. They will both kink and/or bind on you under less than ideal conditions. My preferred method for both is to stand atop the log, snake the chain under where I want to cut, and work the chain with my shoulders while applying upward tension. I have no problem going through a 1 foot diameter green douglas fir trunk in one minute per cut-through in this manner. I could probably do a cord of green fir wood like this in less than an hour, depending on how well staged it was.

BTW, you can make the Pocket chainsaw into a nice bow saw with a pair of limbs cut to length, trimmed and tied in a scissors shape, and brace locked.

#171243 - 04/13/09 08:51 PM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: scafool]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Just to hijack your thread slightly. I own a Bahco Laplander saw. Very good saw. Probably the benchmark standard and does not really need any discussion here. However I just brought myself an Opinel saw. It's an opinel no 12, but with a saw blade of 12cm or 4.75". Cuts on both strokes, as does the laplander. It's also 2.5" smaller (5" when open). Put it to use today. Went through a 4" log in very short order. Build a shelter with it in quite a short time.

Recommended.

P.S. if it's not too much to ask: Spare me the usual knee jerk response about not buying French goods please.

#171244 - 04/13/09 09:14 PM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have the Opinel saw.

It's a nice option, though hard to find.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/13/09 10:00 PM)

#171251 - 04/13/09 11:08 PM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Note that the Pocket Chain Saw company (Supreme Products) makes two versions:

http://www.unbelievablesaw.com/

http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/

Each has its own advantages/disadvantages.

BTW, note that the branch in the video has only 6 inches or so of wood above it. Try that with a standing (dead) tree, and you'll experience severe pinching (that would happen with most all saws).

#171257 - 04/14/09 12:17 AM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: scafool]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
Actually there is one other version, the military version. It comes with 550 cord loops and a small nylon pouch for noise reduction. Here's the link. The saw itself is the same as the others except for the length.

#171259 - 04/14/09 01:25 AM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: lifeview]
ZechariahStover Offline
Stranger

Loc: Connecticut
Here is Doug Ritter's article on pocket chainsaws:
http://www.equipped.org/saws.htm
The one that I have is the SaberCut Saw from Ultimate Survival.
I have been very pleased with it but I have not used any of the other pocket chainsaws so I cannot compare it to them.

#171267 - 04/14/09 02:41 AM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: ZechariahStover]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
SaberCut, that's the one. It works pretty well, especially you can set two Scouts to cutting one branch with it (one Scout on either side of the log) while you saw away at another with your Sven saw.

#171278 - 04/14/09 12:46 PM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: Lono]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
I have not found any back country application that the Bahco Laplander Saw would not be the first choice over any pocket chain saw or cable saw.

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#171280 - 04/14/09 01:21 PM Re: Pocket Chainsaw? [Re: ponder]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hard to beat having a full length chain saw in a tin the size of a shoe polish tin in your thigh pocket. If weight/bulk were not a consideration, there are a whole host of foldable/stowable saws that I might consider hodding along. The fact is, when I am trudging through the forest with gun and pack, I will gladly opt for the smaller lighter container that I know will get the cutting job done just fine. If I am at base camp, or at home, and the Stihl is acting stubborn and the McCullough is in the shop, then a good bow or frame saw or even a had saw would be my next reach, assuming I haven't already framed the pocketchainsaw or the sabre saw.

Size matters, at least when it comes to my back having to haul the load through the vine maple and briar. A horse would swing the balance toward a pre-framed or rigid saw as well, but I don't have ready access to horses these days either...

Then there's guys like Dick Proenecke, of course he had nothing better to do at the time, and I don't think the pocket chainsaw was around while he built his cabin either. I'd pay gold for his opinion on more than a few things like this.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.