Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#171231 - 04/13/09 07:18 PM EDC as 72 hour kit
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Given the enormity of the kits and shelf supplies for them that I've accumulated, I am wondering what a contrapositive approach to equipping would yield for an outcome. My first thoughts are what does it take to get by for 72 hours of relatively mundane survival conditions (not hanging by fingers from cliff edge, or braving 30 foot storm swells in the Perfect Storm, or hacking off a trapped limb, or being chased by insurgents, zombies, or pot farmers).

Admittedly, I've built much of my big kit on the premise of more is better, within reason. But what do I really have to have just to keep going for three days? Realizing that much of my day to day routine has me either at work or at home, my location kits are virtually limitless in that regard, at least insofar as I can meet all of my essentials and a lot of my basic luxuries with what I've stockpiled already, so discounting the office and the house, I am in transit, either in my car or on the train or afoot.

So with this, my focus is more toward EDC, and in that aspect, I think I have it almost licked, with one big, painful exception. Potable water continues to be the one thing that I cannot find a way to EDC in sufficient quantity for comfortable survival afoot. Depending on the environment I might reasonably expect to find myself in, I would want to have at least 3 gallons bare minimum for a 3 day stint (this assumes I cannot find an alternative source, which negates the need for EDC of the mass, although purification equipment might be needed nonetheless). I just can't see hodding around 3 gallons of water with me everywhere I go. Sure I can keep that in the car easy enough, but the train, or the bus, or walking around in commuter mode just ain't gonna happen.

Anyways, figuring what else I might need to get by, I came up with the following:

EDC - bic lighter, leatherman wave, photon light, the clothes on my back, my leather jacket or similar.

Things I should consider EDCing - some duct tape, an emergency blanket or poncho, my fedora, a pack of tissue or TP, some food, a small FSK.

I used to EDC these things and a lot more up till a couple years ago. I don't know why I quit, other than I moved it out of my shoulder bag and into my BOB for some reason; probably because I moved so much. I am thinking I need to put it all back in the bag and keep it with me again. Oh yeah, I should probably put a DR SRK in there somewhere.

So, other than the water, what else would you consider the bare minimum for a travelling 72 hour kit? Think in terms of true non-emergency necessity.

As a qualifier, I learned in Baghdad(and elk camp et al) that TP is not a luxury item. I found the alternatives wholly unsatisfying. YMMV.

#171234 - 04/13/09 08:07 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: benjammin]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No, we can't pack 3 gallons of water. But, given a bottle of water is almost a fashion accessory carrying WHAT WE CAN is the next best strategy.

I have two old plastic military survival flasks in my sportsjackets, a few of the Mylar envelopes in shirt pockets AND the de riquer plastic water bottle in my hand. Since I don't have a cellphone, sometimes I hold it to my ear and talk to myself like the people in the trendy food stores.

And of course, I keep myself hydrated and the one bottle refilled during the day.

An intitial water supply is just like a basic firemaking kit.
It's there to keep us going until we can build a shelter or secure more water.

#171239 - 04/13/09 08:18 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Plastic water bottles were indeed all the rave in Baghdad. You'd even see the kids we sent over there packing them in hip holders or in the off hand. Sentries inevitably had them stashed on the nearby discharge box or sandbag ledge. Their other big stash was usually a six pack of Red Bull hijacked from the chow hall on the way out the door.

A nice cold 2 liter bottle would last from the gate of our compound to the Terminal at the airport. Even though it wasn't at all necessary, often you'd find yourself "sneaking a drink" regularly, not wanting to take your eyes off scan too long.

Funny how when you are that stressed out, you can go from empty bladder to full inside of half an hour...

Anyways, if you ran out of water over there, all you had to do was ask a soldier where you could get more. They always knew where more water was.

I only wish I could've returned the favor and bought the ones I met a round or two. Unfortunately the Green Zone dried up halfway through my tour, and those soldiers weren't of legal drinking age at the time anyways.

#171249 - 04/13/09 11:00 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: benjammin]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: benjammin
TP is not a luxury item.

Amen.

#171252 - 04/13/09 11:40 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: UncleGoo]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I surprised that cash, meds, cell phone and a jacket aren't in everyone's edc. ( plus glasses/ contacts for those who need them.)

#171254 - 04/13/09 11:49 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: TeacherRO]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Flashlight. I switch a lot between SF, Fenix, and Connexion. All have low modes around the 40-50 hour mark on one battery.

Knife. This may be on my LM Micra, or a stand-alone.

Cell phone. No charger, as it lasts days even with normal use.

Wallet. There's a small pen in the fold, but otherwise pretty standard carry stuff for a guy.

Really, that's what I carry with me daily. I used to carry a bic, some duct tape, mason's twine, a few tinder-quick and a mag bar, but it just sat on my hip. Right now I have a BSA Hot Spark linked to my Micra, and they're in my rt. front pocket everywhere, with a Surefire E1L in my lt pocket. Sometimes my LM Kick joins the party. I just wrapped 15' of dacron fishing line around another SF, but it's not being carried at the moment.

If you want the water, why not make a Camelback your daily carry? They have a variety of sized packs, from fanny packs up to 3-day backpack. Bladders from 24 (I think) to 100oz. It's not perfect, but a 100oz bladder is almost a gallon, right? Plus it'll shrink a bit in size as you use it, so you won't have a clunky empty container - just a nice rolled one with a hose dangling everywhere. They don't work well in sub-freezing temps I've found, but YMMV.

#171277 - 04/14/09 12:18 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: MDinana]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Strange enough I EDC a pair of surgical gloves, wadded up in a 35 mm film container, the container goes in the pocket of my jacket. Has come in handy a couple times, blood borne pathogens being what they are.

#171283 - 04/14/09 01:59 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: Lono]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I've been building up my EDC over the last 5 or 10 years so I rely on it more and more, and less on other packs. I have some duct tape, 2 lights, a small Leatherman, a small Swiss army knife, a few first aid supplies, paracord, several ways to start a fire, tinder, pen, paper.

I recently found I could keep a thin emergency poncho in my right back pocket (it replaces a bandanna) which makes me feel somewhat more comfortable about shelter.

I don't carry water. I don't drink a lot and don't miss it, and in this country it's easy to acquire elsewhere. I do carry some water purification tablets and a 1 litre plastic bag to carry it in.

I don't carry toilet paper. However, I do have at least 1 other bandanna, which could be cut up and used in extremis. It is a 35x35" piece of silk, so a 5" strip cut from an edge would make 6 or 7 pieces while still leaving the bulk of the bandanna for other purposes.

I also carry a phone, cash, compass in my watch and a whistle, all or any of which may help keep me out of trouble in the first place.

#171301 - 04/14/09 04:38 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: Brangdon]
Homer Offline
Antithetic

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Shelter, maybe a tube tent they are small and light or a light weight but sturdy tarp or poncho. I suspect your greatest threat will be the weather.

Being warm and dry when it is cold and wet, or shaded from a too hot sun is what will make a difference. It will help with your physical needs and keep your morale up.

I was able to put together and EDC type of kit that you are suggesting, in a Maxpedition Jumbo which can also carry a 32 oz water bottle. I have since moved away from that concept but I revisit it often. How are you planing to carry some of the larger extra items?

#171311 - 04/14/09 05:32 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: benjammin]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> So, other than the water, what else would you consider the bare minimum
> for a travelling 72 hour kit?

The problem is, it's a weather question. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our winter is laughable as winter, but it rains. In the winter, I'd _have_ to have a rain suit and water proof shoes. In the summer, it never rains, and rain wear would be a total waste of weight. But I'd _need_ that water. So in addition to weather, it's a geography question. What you carry depends on the weather, the climate, and the terrain.

I'm not sure an answer can be given without context.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.