Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#170767 - 04/07/09 01:25 PM Car Travel Question with Gun
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Question:

All the talk of the Ruger 10/22 got me interested in picking one up from Cabela’s during their sale this week. My family and I are headed to L.I. Long Island, NY) to visit family and friends for Easter weekend and thought I would stop Cabela’s by on our way up and make the purchase. My question: The gun will be in the original box, presumably, I can have a trigger lock installed before we leave the store, the gun will remain in our rear storage area of our mini-van. To get to L. I., we will be traveling though parts of N.Y.C. (Bronx and Queens), as well as Nassau and Suffolk Counties, should I have any concern over violating any laws?

Pete

#170787 - 04/07/09 06:03 PM Re: Car Travel Question with Gun [Re: NightHiker]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Federal law - so long as you go non stop from a point where it's legal for you to own, to a place where it's legal to own, and it's locked in the trunk, you're good to go - I'd put a trigger lock on anyway
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#170801 - 04/07/09 07:35 PM Re: Car Travel Question with Gun [Re: paramedicpete]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
If you had a sedan with a trunk inaccessible from the passenger compartment, I wouldn't worry. Driving a minivan, where the storage area is part of the cabin, makes me think I'd wait until the return trip to pick up the gun. Especially going through the NYC area, if you happen to get pulled over for something otherwise innocuous.

#170814 - 04/07/09 08:27 PM Re: Car Travel Question with Gun [Re: UncleGoo]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Watch your ammo too. Isn't it NYC that bans hollowpoints? Or was that Washington D.C.? I can't remember.

#170816 - 04/07/09 08:39 PM Re: Car Travel Question with Gun [Re: KG2V]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Federal law - so long as you go non stop from a point where it's legal for you to own, to a place where it's legal to own, and it's locked in the trunk, you're good to go - I'd put a trigger lock on anyway

... except for national parks (per the other thread).

Seriously, by definition, in national parks, possession of a gun, bow, ... equals hunting, whether in use or not.

One needs to know the laws. Your gun store should know the applicable law in that area.

In Illinois the gun has to be unloaded, in a case/shipping box, or other container specifically design to carry a gun - and I have to have a Firearm Owner Identification (FOID) card.

Apparently the criminal law just says the gun must be not immediately accessable or in a non-functioning state, but the wildlife law says it must be unloaded and in a case.

#170824 - 04/07/09 10:15 PM Re: Car Travel Question with Gun [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
IIRC, New Jersey has the ban on hollow-point ammo.

paramedicpete should have no issue as long as the gun is not readily accessible. Seal that original box with strapping tape; gift wrapping would help too as it would make the box just a box.

Don't take anything you read here as legal advice, IANAL.

#170835 - 04/08/09 12:40 AM Re: Car Travel Question with Gun [Re: haertig]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: haertig
Watch your ammo too. Isn't it NYC that bans hollowpoints? Or was that Washington D.C.? I can't remember.

That's New Jersey
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#171152 - 04/12/09 12:46 AM Re: Car Travel Question with Gun [Re: paramedicpete]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Pete:
Buy it in the way there, let it stay in the store, pick it up on the way home. Or call the local police and ask them, they schould know the laws in that area.

#171206 - 04/13/09 01:25 PM Re: Car Travel Question with Gun [Re: big_al]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Thanks to all that replied.

We had to return yesterday, on Easter Sunday and the store was closed. I called the store last Wednesday to see if the gun was I stock, the clerk checked the computer and said there were several in stock, but when she looked the on-display availability she said they were out. We visited the store on Thursday as we headed to NY and asked the counter clerk to check the availability; they went into the stock area and found one.

I decided to chance the purchase and subsequent travel through NYC (Queens, Bronx), no problems. The reason I figured this should be okay, is there are hunters on L.I. that must travel though NYC (Queens, Bronx) to head up state to go hunting, I never heard of any issues, so took the chance. Nice gun by the way, can’t wait to take it to the range.

Pete

#171212 - 04/13/09 03:04 PM Re: Car Travel Question with Gun [Re: paramedicpete]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Pete,

Which version of the Ruger 10/22 did you buy?

Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.