The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#171102 - 04/10/09 06:23 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: ]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
My only problem with Bic lighters is I never know how much fuel is left in them. I can't seem to find a bic with a transparent case. Taking the little "child-proof" wheels off of the cheap lighters seems to improve their function. Does anybody know of a good quality lighter with a radiant flame (not a butane torch) that has a fuel indicator?

Thanks! smile

~L

#171104 - 04/10/09 06:58 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: Loganenator]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: Loganenator
My only problem with Bic lighters is I never know how much fuel is left in them. I can't seem to find a bic with a transparent case.

Hold a flashlight behind it. Even the darkest opaque Bics (except perhaps black) become transparent with a strong light behind them.

#171112 - 04/10/09 09:38 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
If you hold a Bic up to a light and look at it the fuel usually shows a shadow line.
If you are not sure the line you see is fuel give it a little shake and you should see the fuel jiggle.

Edit: I missed Jaywalker's post before I posted this, oops.

Edited by scafool (04/11/09 01:35 AM)

#171119 - 04/11/09 01:07 AM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: scafool]
MotherEagle Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, honestly, the lighter choice was not about profit margin. I originally chose Bic lighters because of the quality, but I went with Cody Lundin's suggestion to use these instead, because the flame is adjustable and you can easily see the fuel level. You can even modify them to make a torch. BTW, these are King brand lighters. I think they are the best among cheap lighters. I used to smoke, too, and I rarely ever had a problem with a King lighter. And as reliable as Bics are, I've had some with very low flames - and there's nothing you can do about it. Also, I do test these individually before packing them in a kit.

Thanks for the feedback.

#171128 - 04/11/09 06:07 AM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
These? They're okay, but they're overkill for something like this, no point in having something re-fillable; it's one thing to have crappy kit, it's another to have kit that's too good. I'm just trying to get him past having a lighter that's going to fail on you when you need it most, I understand him having to make a profit also and keep price points low.
http://www.bolinat.com/cat/154/Clipper-Lighters

Just have it as an upgrade. ME seems to have already gotten the hang of it.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#171132 - 04/11/09 10:17 AM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: Rodion]
Gray Offline
Stranger

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
my $.02:

I would prefer the Bic. If I understand correctly this is an emergency kit, right? So don't use the lighter unless you need it, and if you do then replace it after the emergency is over. The not being able to see how much fuel is left seems to be a moot point if it is considered in this way. Lighters are cheap, and for an emergency kit it doesn't make sense, to me, to sacrifice quality for the ability to see how much fuel is left in it.

ME you bring up a good point about testing the lighters before you put it in the kit, I think you should make the fact that you inspect the gear going in to each kit more apparent on your website. I know for me it makes me feel a lot better about ME as a company. If you inspect each lighter, then throwing out the bics that have a low flame should be an option for you.

Standard Disclaimer:
I don't know everything, and the above is just my imperfect opinion.

#171133 - 04/11/09 11:48 AM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: Gray]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Just went to ME site, quite impressive never used a "King" lighter never smoked, all in all looks like a good kit for the money.

just my .02

Mike

#174434 - 06/06/09 04:27 AM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: Rodion]
MotherEagle Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Rodion, and in case anybody else is interested, I just updated the product page for the Inova Microlight on our site, to describe exactly why it is my favorite microlight. I have a Photon Freedom, also, and yeah, it is very cool, but I still prefer my Inovas because:

http://www.mothereagle.com/Inova-Microlight-p/inovamicro.htm

#174796 - 06/13/09 09:13 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: MotherEagle]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I like the Innovas, but have lost both of the two I had on my keyring. They rested there with Photon Freedoms. Only the Freedoms are left on both mine and MS Yeti's keyrings. The main issue? The clip has a tendency to pop off the main ring. Perhaps it was because it was rigid and too long to conform to the ever-changing shape of a keyring in use, thrown into bags, and worn on the side. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Innovas, they just disappeared while the Photons didn't. YMMV...

BTW, for non-keyring use, I still have an Innova left that I like and use.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 394 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.