Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171000 - 04/09/09 07:01 PM New retailer in town: Mother Eagle
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hey all,

The normal caveat applies here: I have no affliation with this business in any way.

I just discovered this fellow on twitter. Apparently he just launched his online retail BOB business earlier this month called Mother Eagle out of southern California: http://www.mothereagle.com

Looks like he mandates good quality components. I invited him over to this forum to post his gear lists/pics to get some feedback from everyone. We'll see if he wanders in. smile He's seems to be marketing to a different audience so I doubt there will be much competition with Doug on kits. Although there might be some competition with Redflare...what do ya'all think? smile

I'll start off this thread with my initial thoughts on his 72 hour BOB components:

1. Remove the nail clippers
2. Add a reliable dedicated knife. In particular multi-tools make only a good back-up knife IMHO. Although Les Stroud would disagree wink.

Edited by Loganenator (04/09/09 07:33 PM)

#171002 - 04/09/09 07:14 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: Loganenator]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
On second thought. I think its difficult to add a knife to a commercial kit because everyone has a different idea regarding the "right" knife. Also since this is an urban kit the addition of nail clippers as "hygiene" could be justified. I think EMT shears would be a better choice but that would bump up the price point. What do ya'll think?

~L

Edited by Loganenator (04/09/09 07:29 PM)

#171004 - 04/09/09 07:18 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: Loganenator]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I think keep the nail clippers and add a toenail clippers. But then proper foot care is important to me as I'm on my feet most of the workday day and if I'm lucky all weekend, too.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#171017 - 04/09/09 07:52 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: Blast]
MotherEagle Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hi. Aaron of Mother Eagle here. Thanks for your post, Loganenator. I look forward to any and all suggestions you guys may have. I know I am the new guy in town, and there are a lot of people here with a lot more experience than I have, so I am open to all feedback. Just please, be kind smile. I am doing my best to provide quality products and to help people out.

To respond to what has been said thus-far: I have yet to put up a full-tang knife on the site, but we do recommend in our owner's manual that if a person intends on bugging out to the wilderness that they add one to their kit. We think the Kutmaster Multimaster is a solid, quality USA-Made tool for a decent price. It includes 2 knives in it, serrated and not.

Regarding the nail clippers, I think it is important to maintain the best hygiene possible in an unsanitary urban environment, as well as avoiding injury as much as possible. I think nail-clippers are good for this and lightweight enough to be justifiable. We include the "Trim" brand, which are the best you can get.

Stepping away for a few hours and looking forward to following up on this discussion later.

-Aaron

#171018 - 04/09/09 07:57 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: Loganenator]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It just occurred to me.....

Is there an urban survival kit (USK) that includes an eyeglass repair kit???????

I carry 2 eyeglass repair kits in my "possibles Bag".

#171026 - 04/09/09 08:53 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Excellent selection. Not sure about Inova being the #1 microlight, but that's nitpicking.

The GO kit is great. Would add, oh, about a million more purifier tabs and swap the hybrid radio for something simpler.

Still, really is the best ready-made kit I've ever seen. Monster props.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#171041 - 04/09/09 10:07 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: Rodion]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Awsome another site for stuff.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#171044 - 04/09/09 10:55 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: leemann]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
OK!!!
I like that Mother Eagle considered a hand truck. I have a slightly different version, but I have found it handy for moving everything from supplies to appliances and including full 45 gallon drums.
2 wheel carts sure save backs. I just wish mine had slightly bigger wheels, but not much larger. They still have to be small enough to rest on a stair tread.

#171050 - 04/09/09 11:43 PM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: scafool]
MotherEagle Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. smile

I like the eyeglass repair kit idea, Wildman.

And yeah, Rodion, I've been meaning to change what it says about the Inova Microlight. I think it is an awesome product, but I guess the Photon Freedom is really the best. Also, there aren't a lot of chlorine dioxide tabs include because it also comes with Iodine, which is way cheaper and works faster. I think make more chlorine tablets an upgrade option.

#171078 - 04/10/09 11:57 AM Re: New retailer in town: Mother Eagle [Re: ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Personally, I only believe in two lighters: waterproof Peanut (like a tiny Zippo) and Clippers. The latter allow for angular direction of the flame, as well as have a tiny semi-one-handed fire starter stashed inside. Hold their fuel forever, too.

www.kravmagafederation.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.