Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#170838 - 04/08/09 01:10 AM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: ironraven]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
"Leigh, what exactly do you do for a living?"

ROFL! What did you tell him? I wouldn't have been able to resist messing with his mind.

"I work for the British government. Special licence, you know. I assume you intend to treat the young lady well?"

;-)

#170843 - 04/08/09 02:25 AM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Martin,

Well said!! I'll also add that there is no such thing as a well rounded individual. We all have strengths/talents and non-talents (potential weaknesses). If you want to be well rounded you had better become part of a good and diverse team.

I catch occasional well meaning "grief" (all in good fun) from friends who know that I can be counted on to have all manner of odd things in my pockets, the desk, the car etc. They know they can count on me for these things and I know I can count on them to help me when I need it. Besides, being called McGyver or the Renaissance man is kind of flattering.

- Eric

#170891 - 04/08/09 05:15 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
There's nothing more reprehensible than disdain for the weak. Back when I was an active firefighter and we did various trauma incidents, we never once suggested to the person who had a pole through their abdomen that they should have driven a different route. When we did search and rescue in the woods for lost hunters, we didn't need to tell them (if they were alive) that they should have packed better.

It's better to just be an example, and leave it at that. Some will follow your lead, some won't and that's OK.

And as far as "sheep" go - I get sick of that term for others, as it's both disparaging to sheep and not really accurate.

Human society isn't as simple as sheep, sheep dogs and some kind of Shepherd overseeing it all (if you're into that sort of thing).

In fact, it's far more subtle and complex, much more like a gigantic baseball club. In the same way the pitcher isn't going to be equipped to cut the grass and the stadium announcer certainly won't be batting cleanup, we all have our part to play on earth and if you spend lots of time pointing out how bad the other guy is at what you're good at, you'll never really be a part of the team. On the other hand, if you make what you're good at help the team, you're doing us all some good.

So, yeah, I know a lot of my friends are ill-equipped for things I'm well equipped for. But you know what? A few years ago, my friend's then 9 year old girl took the dogs for a walk and vanished for hours. They didn't call 911, they called ME (I called 911 for them). But what an honor to be thought of as a person to be relied upon to quickly deal with a situation like that.

So that's how I deal with the folks who occasionally tweak me - like a coworker of mine - for being "over prepared". I smile and say, "Hey, look, we're in New York City. If something's gonna happen, it's gonna happen here again. So who would you rather have sitting in the same office, me or someone else?" That always gets a smile - and eventually, I do get the side questions about what kind of multi-tool they should carry and all that.

So, don't worry about the Chicken Little accusations. Just be clear, they are not dumb or inferior - they are just people who see the world differently than you.

that's all well and good, but the whole point of EDC is that there might not be someone around with the tool you need when you need it.
I have no disdain for the "weak," but weakness is not the same as being willfully helpless, and the ones referred to as "sheep" fall into the latter category. The "sheep" thing just means they follow the crowd(flock) and whoever's America's Top Model(the shepherd) this week. If you have a better term for those who follow the crowd for the sake of being part of the crowd, and emulate the famous just because they're famous, by all means share.
And regardless of what an honor it was, your friends should have called 911 themselves. Not that they shouldn't have called you, but if the girl had been in real trouble, LE would be better equipped to deal with it.

Edited by Erik_B (04/08/09 05:21 PM)

...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#170896 - 04/08/09 05:47 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: MartinFocazio]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
For the weak, no, for the lazy and the stupid, they are begging for it. Being ill equipped is most often a result of one of the latter two, seldom of the former. Even the poor and the crippled can do something to help their situation, even within their limits. What I have no tolerance for is the person who had every opportunity to prepare themself, to evaluate the risk ahead of time and make the necessary adjustment to mitigate what would be the most likely challenges, and did not avail themselves of the opportunity. They deserve neither respect nor sympathy. If we are all team members, then we are all expected to pull our own weight, and as a pitcher I may not be the one cutting the grass, but by God the guy that should be doing it better get it right, or he'll darned sure hear about it!!! I am not here to soothsay the failings of those who are in over their head. I would be ashamed of being in that condition myself, and I have no tolerance of it from others. It's no accident that people go about their lives unprepared for the sort of things we all know to be common events. It is a mistake, pure and simple, and my problem is their foolishness not only costs them, but those around them as well, and I am not in the business of bailing people out of their self-imposed misery. I abhor the notion that I somehow owe a duty to my fellow man to bail them out of their problems when they could've done so themselves. I may choose to help, but I consider neither an obligation nor a charity, for the undeserving individual will most likely not accept responsibility for themselves if so treated, nor will they learn from their mistakes as nature intended.

If I really cared about my friends, I would point out to them (should they be interested in listening) how they can improve their odds and what pitfalls they may avoid thereby. I did it for my own family, even when they didn't like hearing it all the time, but the gratitude later on when they managed to get through a tough situation on their own was well worth the attitude beforehand.

I am once again reminded of the fable about the ant and the grasshopper. I would prefer to be thought of as the ant, and the grasshopper can go suck lemons when the snow comes.

#170899 - 04/08/09 06:08 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: benjammin]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Ahhh, Benny. The only ant that produces offspring is the queen. The rest of them are sterile female slaves.

On the other hand the grasshoppers all mate in the fall and lay eggs for over the winter, thus ensuring the continuation of their species.
Not only that, but the grasshoppers do it as free individuals, instead of as lowly antlike servants without any free will at all.

Edit:
I don't get accused of being chicken little but I am noted as being the one person likely to have a full set of tools in the truck along with good spare tires, booster cables, a shovel and a tow chain just in case.

Edited by scafool (04/08/09 06:24 PM)

#170902 - 04/08/09 06:31 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: ScouterMan]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: ScouterMan
Most just laugh about a Boy Scout "being prepared". However, these same jokers have said that, in case of an emergency, they are going to hang out with me.

I just smile.

Lucky you. Mine all say that they are going to hide behind me!

#170903 - 04/08/09 06:37 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Lucky you. Mine all say that they are going to hide behind me!

Hmmm, sounds like a job for exersizing and a change in diet. grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#170906 - 04/08/09 06:50 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
There's nothing more reprehensible than disdain for the weak. Back when I was an active firefighter and we did various trauma incidents, we never once suggested to the person who had a pole through their abdomen that they should have driven a different route. When we did search and rescue in the woods for lost hunters, we didn't need to tell them (if they were alive) that they should have packed better.

It's better to just be an example, and leave it at that. Some will follow your lead, some won't and that's OK.

And as far as "sheep" go - I get sick of that term for others, as it's both disparaging to sheep and not really accurate.

Human society isn't as simple as sheep, sheep dogs and some kind of Shepherd overseeing it all (if you're into that sort of thing).

In fact, it's far more subtle and complex, much more like a gigantic baseball club. In the same way the pitcher isn't going to be equipped to cut the grass and the stadium announcer certainly won't be batting cleanup, we all have our part to play on earth and if you spend lots of time pointing out how bad the other guy is at what you're good at, you'll never really be a part of the team. On the other hand, if you make what you're good at help the team, you're doing us all some good.

So, yeah, I know a lot of my friends are ill-equipped for things I'm well equipped for. But you know what? A few years ago, my friend's then 9 year old girl took the dogs for a walk and vanished for hours. They didn't call 911, they called ME (I called 911 for them). But what an honor to be thought of as a person to be relied upon to quickly deal with a situation like that.

So that's how I deal with the folks who occasionally tweak me - like a coworker of mine - for being "over prepared". I smile and say, "Hey, look, we're in New York City. If something's gonna happen, it's gonna happen here again. So who would you rather have sitting in the same office, me or someone else?" That always gets a smile - and eventually, I do get the side questions about what kind of multi-tool they should carry and all that.

So, don't worry about the Chicken Little accusations. Just be clear, they are not dumb or inferior - they are just people who see the world differently than you.

Ok, let's get something clear here. I for one do not regard the weak with disdain, contempt or anything else of that ilk. The weak and uninformed I try to help. If they will let me.

The wilful ignorant are another matter entirely. That's the items to whom Inspector gadget, Mcgiver etc are terms of deliberate comtempt and abuse. As apposed to what is generally termed termed cheerful abuse.

Oh and your quite right: calling them sheep is an insult to sheep.

#170907 - 04/08/09 06:54 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: ironraven]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
"Leigh, what exactly do you do for a living?"

ROFL! What did you tell him? I wouldn't have been able to resist messing with his mind.

Nothing. I just hinted delicatly that it might be tell him then..... time. wink

#170933 - 04/09/09 06:24 AM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

I've had a few people amazed at what I seem to be able to pull out of my bag of tricks. My pastor was doing some work around the church and needed a file but couldnt find one and was shocked when I handed him my gerber with the file opened, another time someone asked if there was a screwdriver around cause they wanted to pry something apart and I got that wtf look when I handed him an actual pry bar. Yes I carry a lighter and no I dont smoke, yes I carry a knife and no I dont plan to kill anyone with it, why do I have a multi-bit screwdriver and other tools cause sometimes things need fixing and it's easier and cheaper than calling a repair guy. The sad part is while they look at me funny I'm the one that gets to laugh when they look like a monkey and grunting while tearing at packages with thier keys and trying to use thier teeth to open bags while I can just reach into my pocket pull my knife and open the item without any effort.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 415 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.