Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#170911 - 04/08/09 07:15 PM Re: zippo lighters as a survival firestarter [Re: Pharaoh]
Pharaoh Offline

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands.
Schwert.
The tanks are for regular zippo fluid.
Pharaoh.

#170920 - 04/08/09 11:44 PM Re: zippo lighters as a survival firestarter [Re: Pharaoh]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
One more thing on my "get" list cool

#170922 - 04/08/09 11:52 PM Re: zippo lighters as a survival firestarter [Re: Schwert]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I don't know about the tanks, but I tend to make sure I have spare flints in the bottom of the lighter and a bit of extra fuel handy.
The extra fuel is also good to have just in case you really need to get a fire going in a hurry.
(A candle stub is nice to have around for fire starting too.)
Like Martin said, it may be as plain and primitive as a rock, but it is reliable.

#170923 - 04/08/09 11:56 PM Re: zippo lighters as a survival firestarter [Re: scafool]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Found this youtube of the Diamond Super Tank Oil Container...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUaXC3kzj4M

Is this the thing?

Cannot locate where to buy one, but it looks like a handy modification for those of us how do not regularily use a Zippo.

#170990 - 04/09/09 06:24 PM Re: zippo lighters as a survival firestarter [Re: Schwert]
Pharaoh Offline

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands.
Exactly Schwert.
This is what I was talking about. I have something similar.
The company I got it from apparantly doesn't carry them anymore.
Google could point you in the right direction though.
Pharaoh.

#170995 - 04/09/09 06:47 PM Re: zippo lighters as a survival firestarter [Re: Schwert]
XWD Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Schwert
I still carry a Zippo too. I don't have any use for it daily, but it is a fine reliable tool. I also carry a mini tabasco bottle of fuel....just right for a fill and a half. I like this bottle better than the Zippo fuel canister too.

I use the Pipe version of the Zippo...easier to get a vertical flame under tinder with that style than the standard version.

A good classic tool....with its own set of advantages and limitations.

I cannnot quite remember but I think I posted on here pulling some the cotton wadding out of mine and sparking it. I think I did that grin

Anyway my old Zippo has real cotton wadding in it. The pad over the wadding seems to be synthetic though.

Excuse me if I'm totally out of line but I have to ask... Are you the same Schwert who wrote those really (and I mean REALLY) impressive posts on Outdoors-Magazine's forum about his EDC some time ago?

Well, if you are, sir, I am a big fan of yours (it would be true to say that you got me started with all this preparedness thing).

Edited by XWD (04/09/09 08:27 PM)

#170998 - 04/09/09 06:59 PM Re: zippo lighters as a survival firestarter [Re: XWD]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Well yes I am that fellow....and thanks for those kind words. I was really sad the old magazine went inactive because I really enjoyed doing those articles.

Specifically to the old EDC articles....most if not all of my kit ideas came from studying this forum and adapting and modifying other peoples ideas and observations to my own "style". We had an moderate earthquake here in Seattle in 2001...it was not long after that I found this place and started seriously working on my plans.

The magazine is available in the archives....my old stuff:
http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/spip.php?auteur39

Now as to that Zippo fuel tank...so far I have not been successful locating one for sale anywhere.

Anyone else looking.....and finding?

Edited by Schwert (04/09/09 07:01 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.