Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#171295 - 04/14/09 03:49 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
This was a few years ago, I was working on a photographic project in and around the border. At the time, the Border Patrol and Customs agents were being "assisted" by members of the active military in their duties.

The SEAL guy, who's name and rank I have unfortunately now forgotten, was there helping at the foot crossing from Tijuana to San Ysidro.

Great guy, about 5'9" slightly built but absolutely no doubt of what he was capable of doing if needed. I think he was mainly there for shock value as the sailors who came stumbling thru literally straightened up and attempted to at least look sober when they passed thru the checkpoint. He also served as a liasion between the BP and Naval personnel.

Nice guy, nice gig.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#171325 - 04/14/09 07:57 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I've had a delightfull corespondence with Bill @ Hilltrek in Scotland.

They can make the ventile poncho in any length, and width for that matter.

I imagine it's a matter of cost, the list price will be @ $180 to the USA with shipping.

That may cause pause, but this is the stuff that kept RAF pilots alive in the english channel and lasts forever.

I'm having a custom pocket made for a bottle of laphraiog in mine- assuming I get a rebate this year :O(

Cant argue with cotton ventile, I still have an SAS smock that I bought in a fit of warry-ness about 15 years ago.Its been all over the world and into many strange environments and held up to all the rigours thrown at it. Its a bit distressed now and I keep it for old times sake now.

#171336 - 04/14/09 09:43 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
bmisf Offline

I'm having a custom pocket made for a bottle of laphraiog in mine- assuming I get a rebate this year :O(

You have exquisite tastes...

(I've been working on a bottle of 10-year cask strength Laphraiog over the past couple of months; not for the faint-hearted.)

#171342 - 04/14/09 11:04 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

great Chris--thats about the most rational statement on the subject i have read in a long time..

#171391 - 04/15/09 03:58 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA

I thought how easy it would be to jump from my Volvo with BOB, run for the hills and within minutes be sitting under a tarp with hot tea brewing on my ESBIT and chewing on fruitcake and summer sausage watching the lightning.

But the girl wouldn't join me :O(

Sounds like a good time all in all...

Isn't amazing how "comfortable" our surviving can be?

#171424 - 04/16/09 07:24 AM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

The British Army MVP Poncho (somewhat similar to Taslan Goretex) weighs around 900 grams so does not flap about in the wind as the lighter materials and has all the appropriate grommets etc to be used as an improvised tarp shelter.

http://www.militarykit.com/products/special_offers/british_army_dpm_mvp_poncho.htm

or the Hilltrek Ventile Poncho

http://www.hillgear.com/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Cabrach_Ventile_Trousers.html

How well does this work?
The Sock

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 459 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.