Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#170684 - 04/06/09 03:44 PM Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp.
XWD Offline
Stranger

According to you, knowledgeable people, if money were no object, what would be the best poncho, poncho liner and tarp?

Thanks a million for your insight.

#170691 - 04/06/09 04:31 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I've had a German army poncho for some time now, very sturdy, rubbery plastic thing. Great for setting up a shelter, totally waterproof as well. Will keep you dry even in a bad storm though perspiration is a big problem. The US poncho is also pretty good. Just about any other military grade poncho along the same lines will do the job.

Like Chris, I see no need for a poncho liner. Little practical value and too bulky. Better carry a sleeping bag instead. Anyway, a $20 surplus poncho is all I need. There may be "better" ponchos or tarps out there but I just don't care, the military stuff is inexpensive and works just fine.

#170698 - 04/06/09 05:35 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: NightHiker]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
I picked up a fabric poncho in Chile called a "manta" (blanket) that is made of wool. Most of the poorer people wear them, but they work great as a poncho/blanket and are amazingly waterproof. Not expensive, but I'm not sure how you would get one here.

#170699 - 04/06/09 05:58 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Still_Alive]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, the best all around is still a bit of a compromise, as the best for a given situation depends on characteristics that no currently produced textile can achieve as a whole. In winter, nothing beats my rivers west fleece. While not a poncho option, their clothing line is waterproof, breathable, and quite warm. Their blankets make darned good tarps. In the big heat of the baghdad, the fleece idea won't work, and nylon doesn't seem to like the sand one whit, so reinforced film materials for tarping off and breathable synthetics for clothing. In between the extremes, I would tend more towards the waterproof and the slightly insulated stuff. Heatsheets is probably the best compromise all around material I could imagine for use as a poncho or as a tarp. Tyvek would be a close second, and ripstop lightweight nylon takes third maybe.

Most of the milsurp I've worked with seems too much of a compromise to me.

#170701 - 04/06/09 06:09 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Still_Alive]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
In general I've purchased my (and the family's) coated nylon ponchos from Campmor. They seem to be decent quality at a similar price.

As Chris alluded to, the lighter the poncho the more flapping in wind. Some folks tie a belt or rope around the waist to try to lower the flappage, but for me that starts to lose the ventilation advantage of the poncho.

Of course the other real problem with a poncho is that in a heavy rain EVERYTHING below the knee (or slightly higher) gets soaked. I've thought about looking for some Goretex leggings, but haven't.

Also, I never liked wearing the nylon hood, so I tend to wear my Tilly hat, and let the hood flop in back. Sometimes that means its left to collect a pool of water. In the end the best bet is to wear fast-drying non-cotton clothing and simply try to minimize the soak-factor. When it rains you'll probably get wet one way or another.

At one time I found a great deal on an Exped Bivy Poncho. It has snaps and ties that can turn it into a waterPROOF bivy (I'm not sure that's a good thing). The reason I like it is that its taller/longer than most ponchos, and since I'm 6'5" that is a good thing.

I like ponchos that have loops on the corners to that could be converted to a shelter fairly easily. I'd rather have nylon loops than grommets.

I have a coated nylon rain suit, but when I wear it I sweat buckets, so I don't wear it much.

Some day I'll invest in a Goretex suit, but that day hasn't arrived yet. Maybe for my 50th birthday next year. Oh these aching bones!!

Ken

#170710 - 04/06/09 06:45 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i've been thinking ponchos myself..but what i want is something compact and light i can pull out of a day pack to cover up during sunshowers while i'm canoeing..getting into my full rainsuit out on the water is tricky and slow.i have seen the Silnylon ones but they are very spendy and my two US Army ones are kind of bulky..plastic is a joke so those are out..

#170720 - 04/06/09 08:15 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
I've been thinking ponchos myself..but what i want is something compact and light i can pull out of a day pack to cover up during sunshowers while i'm canoeing ...

The Campmor Cascade II Regular-sized Poncho (52"x80", 12.8 oz) costs only $20 and comes in a strikingly bright shade of yellow ... or black, kiwi green, blue, or forest green. I'd highly recommend them.

They also sell a Tall-sized version (52"x104", 14 oz) for $22 (sorry, not available in yellow or kiwi green - only black, blue, or forest green).

My problem with the tall version is that tall people (me) not only need longer ponchos, but they could also use wider ponchos - for those long arms. The Exped Bivy Poncho is 62"x90" - an extra 5" per arm. I haven't seen the Exped Bivy Poncho for sale in a long while - not sure why.

Ken

#170722 - 04/06/09 08:44 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: KenK]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have spent years (literally) under military issue ponchos, and can't imagine going anywhere without one. Having grommets in the corners and middle edges is critical in my opinion to make it more versatile as a tarp. If I had an extremely limited amount of space and weight, I would carry the poncho and poncho liner before almost anything else. I have several different civilian types, but none as durable or versatile as the military issue. They are not expensive (expensive being a somewhat relative term) and can be easily replaced.

All that said, what I think would make a better poncho:

Stronger and lighter material

Bright colors

Greater dimensions

I also tend to wear a hat instead of the hood, unless it is raining very heavily. A 360 degree wide brim to keep the rain off of my face and out of my neck.

#170725 - 04/06/09 09:01 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: gonewiththewind]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
+1 to Montanero. I too have spent many, many nights under my military poncho. Setting up a hooch is an artform I have perfected. As for liners, I have a Kifaru Woobie, which is great-in fact, it has replaced my sleeping bag for backpacking when I take my hammock. But, my poncho is so versatile, I dont think I'd ever give it up.

#170728 - 04/06/09 09:21 PM Re: Best poncho, poncho liner and tarp. [Re: oldsoldier]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

My favorite is the Vietnam era coated nylon USGI poncho and liner. the nylon is thick enough not to blow around to much but thin and light enough to pack well. They were a big improvement over the rubberized version they replaced.

The OD green is easy on the eyes. The snaps are close enough together to work right, the grommets are sturdy, and the hood has a drawstring that works well. For hot/wet, semi-tropical conditions they work well. Often better than even the most expensive breathable fabric rain jackets and pants. when things are hot and wet there is just nothing that can replace ventilation.

Used to be I could get then from any number of sources for $10 to $15 each.

The liner adds considerable warmth and used with the poncho makes a useful sleeping bag for moderate weather. The Thinsulate or, newer fleece, versions are a step up from the old fiber-fill liners. The old fiber-fill ones used to go for $20.

Problem is that genuine USGI ponchos are hard to get. Those available are often in poor condition or cheap Chinese knock-offs. Now don't give up on all knock-offs some are very good copies of the USGI version with only the slightly off color or labels telling you the difference.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.