Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#170706 - 04/06/09 06:37 PM Do you get accused of being Chicken Little?
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Just wondered if any of you get accused of being paranoid, a fanatic, Chicken Little, etc. for being prepared. I always have a minimum of water and shelter with me everywhere I go. Normally I have means of self-defense, food, and other EDC items discussed ad nauseum here on the forum. This is all carried a laptop bag, back pack, or just in pockets if necessary. Usually the people criticizing are the ones left outside during a fire alarm drill without a coat, in flip-flops (with 6 inches of snow), and freezing to death. Some come to work dressed like that and have nothing additional in their cars--cars that are almost out of gas, and Utah has plenty of sudden snow storms that can leave you stranded on the freeway. Their reasoning for being so unprepared is, "I just want live life without being afraid of what might happen." I don't carry the stuff I carry because I'm afraid--quite the opposite. Having the stuff I have keeps me from worrying about a lot of the crap that can happen to you in today's world.

It's funny though-some of the people that are the most critical come to me whenever they need something. In addition, many of my friends don't carry anything now knowing that I'll have it if they need it. What's a "survival fanatic" like myself to do?

#170711 - 04/06/09 06:59 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: Still_Alive]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Y'know, I expected to be a bit by some folks, but so far no one's called me out. In fact, most folks that I discuss such things with nod or otherwise affirm their acquiescence to the concern.

A majority in agreement isn't going to change reality, but it sure gives cause to think more.

#170712 - 04/06/09 07:02 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: Still_Alive]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I don't worry about it. If I can be of assistance, GREAT!!!!

I feel that my preps, knowledge, and EDC increases my Employee Value Quotient!!!! (did I just invent a new phrase???)

This not the time to be the "Unprepared, Less Knowledgable, and/or Uncooperative Employee!"

#170713 - 04/06/09 07:15 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: Still_Alive]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
The sky's falling in!
The sky's falling in!

But.......

I have a plan. grin

On a more serious note:

All the time. The flip flops in the snow brigade hate my guts. Surprise, surprise.

#170716 - 04/06/09 07:26 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Most just laugh about a Boy Scout "being prepared". However, these same jokers have said that, in case of an emergency, they are going to hang out with me.

I just smile.

#170717 - 04/06/09 07:29 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm impressed!!!!!

My DW and DM took a two day roadtrip today, AND my DW took her BoB (equipped for 2 people) with them!!!!!!!

Success tastes sweet,,,,,she really does "feel the Force"!!!!!!

#170718 - 04/06/09 08:00 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: wildman800]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
My close friends just think I'm a little OCD.

They know I like to camp and collect camp gear.

They don't know about everything I collect. Casual acquaintances certainly don't.

There is much to be said for discretion.

Edited by Dagny (04/06/09 08:02 PM)

#170723 - 04/06/09 08:44 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: wildman800]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I don't worry about it. If I can be of assistance, GREAT!!!!

I feel that my preps, knowledge, and EDC increases my Employee Value Quotient!!!! (did I just invent a new phrase???)

This not the time to be the "Unprepared, Less Knowledgable, and/or Uncooperative Employee!"

This. If your EDC/medical training/enthusiasm are going to save the day for people other than yourself, it's hardly something to cry about. In fact, if I was living on a desert island with no sheep civilians to worry about, I'd probably carry less...

www.kravmagafederation.com

#170724 - 04/06/09 08:56 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: ScouterMan]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Originally Posted By: ScouterMan
Most just laugh about a Boy Scout "being prepared". However, these same jokers have said that, in case of an emergency, they are going to hang out with me.

I just smile.

I have heard the same on numerous occasions. What they don't realize is that I probably won't be there. At this time, I have no plans to "bail out" those who didn't prepare. It's not like I don't care, much to the contrary, but the words (numerous) to the wise should have been sufficient. I refuse to subsidize complacency or apathy or ignorance or whatever it is that makes people believe that bad things can't happen.
I have taken the necessary steps to protect my extended family, parents and inlaws, but in reality the preps were somewhat redundant as the "elders" have the same ideology as their children, thankfully.
A small tightly knit inner circle of friends is included in certain prep phases. They are the one who have taken life seriously and understand the concept. It is also a very tight lipped circle.
Best wishes to those who didn't heed the warning.

Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid

#170729 - 04/06/09 09:47 PM Re: Do you get accused of being Chicken Little? [Re: rescueguru]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Of course I get occasionally teased for being "Prepared". I get called a Boy Scout on a weekly basis. I could care less. I laugh with them about it.

I carry my EDC backpack with me everywhere I go. Its just a big bag to carry my keys, I tell them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.