Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#170540 - 04/03/09 04:13 AM Re: Fishing: "Oh, you should have been here yester [Re: benjammin]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
Lots of good ideas and perspectives in this. I appreciate it. I don't call myself a fisherman, but I have fished in MT, CO, MO, NM and AZ and have caught a few. I have spent many more hours fishing than catching fish. I've pondered on this, and realized that my chances of catching a fish are not going to magically improve merely because I'm in a survival situation, the fish don't care.
My own experience at fishing with hook and line has led me to learn how to build and use fish traps for true survival situations. Yes, they are illegal in most states, but in a true survival situation, so what? I practice by building traps and then after catching a few fish to be sure they work, I tear them down and release the fish. IMHO making fish weirs and traps are a skill, like fishing knots, that anyone who spends time in the outdoors should learn.
Having said that, I do carry fishing gear, similar to kits already so well described,including swivels, in my PSK. Fishing gear is so useful for so many things and weighs so little, it's crazy not to carry it. It could even be used to catch fish, maybe someday.
As for cleaning fish, I've never done anything but cut open the belly and remove the entrails, then cook them. I really like them with a strip of bacon and a wedge of lemon on the inside, wrapped in aluminum foil and put on the coals. Mmmmm.
Just my thoughts.

#170545 - 04/03/09 08:15 AM Re: Fishing: "Oh, you should have been here yester [Re: EdD270]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have a real cheap but very large hammock.
It is made out of nylon twine fish net, about 1/2 inch square mesh. I think the total size is about 30 feet 8 feet. It is used in layers in the hammock for increased support. There os plenty of cord for tying it up.
It is (I admit) an odd way to make a hammock. However it rolls up compact and it is not very heavy. It dries out fast if it does get wet too.

#170551 - 04/03/09 01:51 PM Re: Fishing: "Oh, you should have been here yester [Re: scafool]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, but without a liner to put on top, I am afraid I would look like the dude from the Hellraiser movies, with a body covered in gridlines. smile

#170738 - 04/06/09 11:38 PM Re: Fishing: "Oh, you should have been here yester [Re: scafool]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
Originally Posted By: scafool
I have a real cheap but very large hammock.
It is made out of nylon twine fish net, about 1/2 inch square mesh. I think the total size is about 30 feet 8 feet. It is used in layers in the hammock for increased support. There os plenty of cord for tying it up.
It is (I admit) an odd way to make a hammock. However it rolls up compact and it is not very heavy. It dries out fast if it does get wet too.

I love it! I'm always in favor of utilitarian multi-use gear. A good hammock, like yours, with a poncho for a roof, would be great for lots of uses.

#170745 - 04/07/09 12:09 AM Re: Fishing: "Oh, you should have been here yester [Re: EdD270]
GradyT34 Offline

Can anyone tell me if there is any particular company that makes the highest quality braided line?

#170794 - 04/07/09 06:33 PM Re: Fishing: "Oh, you should have been here yester [Re: ]
drahthaar Offline

Ditto for the Spiderwire, moss green. I use 20 lb test though.

#170842 - 04/08/09 02:06 AM Re: Fishing: "Oh, you should have been here yester [Re: ]
GradyT34 Offline

I've looked for the Spiderwire Stealth "High Performance" line at my local Wal*Mart and at a number of web-sites and could not find it. I also looked for it on the Spiderwire website. My guess is the "High Performance" has been discontinued. Any other suggestions would be appreciated for 20 lb. high end line. This is for a survival kit. Not for saltwater environments nor for casting.

The Spiderwire website is:
http://www.spiderwire.com/index.php

This thread has been particularly useful to me, and I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed.

Edited by GradyT34 (04/08/09 02:10 AM)

#171886 - 04/23/09 04:07 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Susan]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
I am not a fisherman, I don’t like fishing, I have no interest in fishing and I don’t like or eat fish but this thread has been interesting although most of the jargon has gone straight over my head. Understanding fishing is beyond me and I have even tried reading a child’s fishing book. I don’t carry a fishing kit on my normal trips; I have strategies in place to have people looking for me and hopefully rescue way before I need to think of food.

But, I recognise fish as a survival resource and would eat my fill if in a long term survival situation. Because of this fact I do have a comprehensive fishing kit which I take on longer trips to more remote areas or travelling to overseas wilderness areas, as a survival tool or to supplement rations. My fishing kit is multi purpose as it is designed to take birds, mammals and fish from most environments.

This thread has been very interesting; everyone has posted from a fisherman’s point of view and not from a survival standpoint. You have all spoke about the merits of different kit but no one has mentioned the different methods that can be used and tailoring the kit to meet those methods.

I get the impression from reading through the posts some people think survival fishing is a basic form of rod fishing often with out a rod or with an improvised rod. Some of you have suggested swivels are useful if you leave the line in for a long time and for quick change of tackle but again you have not given much information away.

Survival fishing as with trapping is a passive activity, you set the equipment and let it work for you with little or no input from you, allowing you to get on with other tasks or to rest and to save energy. Survival fishing again like trapping is about optimising your chances by quantity of kit placed and quality of its placement.

So how to achieve this. Now I must apologise as this is where I am going to show my ignorance with the names of things.

The components of a survival fishing kit

Line, you want threaded line, I think it’s called braided line? Not that plastic cheese wire stuff, You want a strong breaking strain.

Hooks, you want hooks that come attached to line already, I think they are called traces? I have these in assorted sizes from sizes 6 to 16, 6 being bigger than 16!

I also have an assortment of loose hooks from size 8 to 24, I only added these because I had them and they take up no room.

Triple hooks, I have a number of these triple hooks that are attached two up on a wire like line

Fly type feather hooks, I don’t think these are proper flies; these can be used to float on the surface or underwater as a lures. These too are already attached to line.

Swivels with clips, these are just great for attaching hooks on line to the main line and help stop twisting.

Split shot waits, I am not sure you really need them but I have some just in case.

There are numerous ways of rigging your kit to fish passively long lines are one of the most useful rigs for fishing; it can be used on rivers, ponds, lakes, coastline, sea and ice fishing, even under a life raft. To make a long line take around 30 feet of braded fishing line and from around 2 foot from one end tie in a swivel every 2 feet along the line, aim to have around 10 swivels. Now clip in a selection of hook traces. On the swivel nearest to the surface use a triple hook rig thing and try to get it to float on the surface; these are affective at taking wild fowl and seabirds.

Don’t make long lines at home but take the supplies with you and make them to match your circumstances, as long lining a river will use a different configuration than long lining a lake or coast line.

Have enough kit to make more than one long line, I have around 300ft of line, 100 assorted hook on trace and swivels.

In my kit I also carry three speed hooks, which work great and a couple of yoyo automatic reels which I have not tested and have doubts of there effectiveness but added them because its extra line in a handy reel.

I have a 3x3 meter gill net too; this is also great for tying between trees to catch small birds and 25 wire rabbit snares.

All this lot fits in a bag about the size of a 1 letter nelgine bottle and weighs 432 grams. Ok its not a small survival fishing kit but it will happily sit in your pack on longer trips without adding much weight or bulk. Its lighter and smaller than a fishing rod, reel and tackle and is more effective than a rod and rifle at providing food whilst conserving energy.

#171922 - 04/24/09 12:49 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Speed hooks and spring gaffs are illegal here. You don't want to be found near the water with them.
But if it is a real survival situation every poacher's trick is an option and I would be very glad to be arrested by a park ranger in such a case.
Nets are extremely useful and used to be required in aircraft survival kits in northern Canada. I am not sure if they are still required. The rules were recently rewritten and are not clear at all now.
So, for survival fishing, yeah, long lines, set lines, traps, nets, snares, spears, fish poison, you name it, just as long as it is an effective method of gathering food.
You won't be too fussy about the size or type of fish either. This is not catch and release. Even if the fish you catch are frogs whacked with a stick, the hind legs are still good food when roasted.

The idea of a bit of line and a few hooks is to have something small and easy to carry just in case you need them.
They are not a full kit, and are not meant to be one.
If your kit is too big you will not likely have it when you need it, and I can carry 6 hooks and a length of fish line on a card in the credit card pocket of my wallet.
So a small simple kit, not everything you want, but what you should at least have with you.
It is the same reason we carry a small length of wire for light snares, not enough for a real trap line, but enough for a few rabbit or squirrel sets.
Plus the fish line and wire often have other uses.

#171936 - 04/24/09 12:38 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: scafool]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Speek hooks and yo-yos are illegal to fish with in PA as well. However, if in a survival situation, everything is fair game... I would think that if you have the equipment well burried in a survival kit you shouldn't be hassled...

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.