The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#170275 - 03/28/09 06:36 PM Re: My survival knife [Re: Tom_L]
mike_m Offline
Stranger

Loc: MA
The Rant looks like a great choice. I too have toiled for a couple of months over which knife to purchase and I just received my new benchmade fixed grip last week. I chose the fixed grip over the rant mainly for the obvious full tang handle that extends slightly past the actual grip so that in a pinch if I had to use the handle end as a hammer I may have a little more success. Now this may or may not ever happen, but just having the option swayed my opinion. On the other side of the coin, I read where someone suggested the handle of the fixed grip be uncomfortable due to the metal protruding on the top and bottom. I can see how this may be the case, but I have not used it long or hard enough yet to see if this is really an issue. I also like the sheath of the fixed grip much better than the rant and will have many more options as it is MOLLE compatible.

On the price side, I bought the fixed grip online for $62(plus ~$7 shipping) so price wasn't really a deciding factor between the two; price certainly did deter/prevent my from purchasing a falkniven or something more expensive though.

Mike

#170277 - 03/28/09 06:44 PM Re: My survival knife [Re: Loganenator]
Jeff Offline

Since nobody has asked so far, why not get the Ritter fixed blade? The dimensions are about the same.

Which one is better and why?

Jeff

#170279 - 03/28/09 07:39 PM Re: My survival knife [Re: Jeff]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Jeff
Since nobody has asked so far, why not get the Ritter fixed blade? The dimensions are about the same.

Which one is better and why?

For some the show-stopper is the cost of the Ritter Mk3. In my view it is actually a great price considering its a semi-custom with high-end steel and handle material. My advice would be to skip the lower-cost blades, save your pennies, and go with the Mk3.

Better blade shape - in my opinion - I like the fixed Rittergrip's wider (deeper?) blade shape better ... ever since I got my first Mk1 many years ago.

Better blade finish - the stonewashed finish looks real nice - kind of 3D-ish. Doug says it adds corrosion resistance too. Sweet!

Better blade steel - will stay sharp much longer - some say the S30V is hard to sharpen, but that has not been my experience, at least not with my Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Better handle material - G10 is abut the toughest handle available - the machined surface provides excellent grip without being rough on hands.

I like the sheath better, but others might not agree.

PLUS, part of the cost goes to support the ETS Foundation.

#170281 - 03/28/09 08:01 PM Re: My survival knife [Re: KenK]
Jeff Offline

I have an MK3 and have been happy with it.
I'm glad you were able to add the details to this topic.
Thanks

Jeff

#170284 - 03/28/09 09:30 PM Re: My survival knife [Re: Loganenator]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Loganenator
MDinana was also looking at this knife as one of his choices to upgrade his primary survival knife. I wonder if he ended up getting it. smile

This knife shares many similar characteristics with the Fallkniven S1 forest knife. smile At half the price and made in the USA it will definately make it into the list for knives I recommend. smile

Cheers,
~L

Actually, I didn't. I kind of got onto a Mora kick after the suggestions on my thread. Played around on RagweedForge for a few weeks. Finally bought his Brusletto Kniven. http://ragweedforge.com/brus-k.jpg I also got a 5" Mora that I'm going to throw a handle on next month.

I figured, like some mention on this thread, that the Mora knife has evolved for arctic/northern environments. Since my initial thread was aimed at a knife for Alaska, I figure I'd stick with it (though the Ulu is interesting). It's in my luggage right now.

Having said that, I'm moving to Virginia in a few months. When my salary starts climbing, I can hopefully still pick one of the BM's up, since it does look like a great knife. Plus, not really arctic down south there, y'know? I might find that that blade profile isn't the most ideal.

#170305 - 03/29/09 07:01 PM Re: My survival knife [Re: Tom_L]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Quote:
Cold, wet, windy. -20 to + 5 celcius. Open tundra to pine forest. Think Tutenborge Forest in Germany.

You mean the Teutoburg forest (historical battlefield where Arminius destroyed the Roman legions)? I'm not sure that's a good comparison to Scandinavia. Also, tundra has very little in common with boreal forest.

Anyway, I live in the temperate zone but the temperature range you've just described is typical for our winter. I've never seen anything that would indicate 440C is any more brittle at low temperatures than any other stainless steel.

I'm sure the Fallkniven F1 would be a good choice for the Northern European environment or any other place with a cold climate and lots of forest. So would a Mora (at a fraction of the price), the fixed-blade Benchmade or even a Kabar if you need something closer to a tough sharpened prybar that still makes a good knife.

IME, if there is one truly indispensable survival tool in the North European (or equivalent) environment it's a good axe. Probably even more important than the knife. No matter what kind of knife you have you need an axe to make a decent shelter, fell trees and split logs in the cold, snowy coniferous forest zone. Without that capability your chances of survival drop rapidly.

No arguments about the axe and a decent saw. 440C simply describes the type of steel used. Of equal importance is how its forged and tempered. And there are some pretty dire 440C blades out there.
Hence my concern.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.