Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170072 - 03/24/09 06:57 PM Conficker Worm? IT people know anything?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Supposedly 12 million computers have been infected with a new worm set to activate on April 1st. At that time it will turn the computers into a giant peer-to-peer network. The purpose of this network is currently unkown according to the NY Times.

Any IT people out there know what's really going on?

Conficker Worm article

-Blast

Edited by Blast (03/24/09 07:00 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#170076 - 03/24/09 08:42 PM Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? [Re: Blast]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oCHxB8d20s

You can break the Internet!! Well at least some one is having a darn good attempt at trying to do it... grin

#170077 - 03/24/09 09:32 PM Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
DennisTheMenace Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Blast,

This is an example of when the "due diligence" of a little prior planning pays off.

For expert information on the Conficker worm and how to protect yourself from it, you can read through the Internet Storm Center diary about it. They have links to information on protecting yourself and on how to remove the worm from a computer. This is a reputable and authoritative source for information.

I haven't had time to digest it all, but my _opinion_ is that people who have a decent anti-virus solution in place and up-to-date are not at great risk. The 12 million infected computers are owned by people who aren't paying attention. They may regret it.

Dennis

#170099 - 03/25/09 01:27 PM Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? [Re: DennisTheMenace]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Microsoft has issued a tool to plug the leak so to speak that would confound the worm. Technet.microsoft.com has a pretty good article about the whole thing, and what it does. They are also offering a $250,000 reward for infomration leading to the arrest of those responsible for making/deploying the virus. There are presently two known variants, Conficker A and B. They exploit the same leak in Windows, mostly in enterprise systems, so this was targeted mostly towards server lans, but it will infect anything that isn't already plugged off.

Most enterprise systems subscribe to the MSRT (Microsoft's malicious software removal tool service) and probably already have the security update that was issued last October. If you are concerned, here's the website that has the update:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx

While this worm may be rendered inert using antivirus and security update tools on individual machines, there could still be a lot of unprotected servers and workstations out there that will generate a lot of extraneous internet traffic if the worm activates, possibly slowing down the system a bit. I guess we will see what happens next wednesday.

#170100 - 03/25/09 01:30 PM Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Here's another good website from Microsoft about the worm and what it does:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx

#170106 - 03/25/09 03:22 PM Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Thanks, guys! Being a Mac-user I'm not too worried. However the DW has an extensive network of Windows machines strung up through the house and she's a bit lax in security. eek It drives me up a wall...

Time for some stealth patching...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#170107 - 03/25/09 03:24 PM Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? [Re: Blast]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
If the antivirus updates have been running regularly, there should not be a problem. Make sure they all have the latest update (in the last day or two) and you're golden.

#170123 - 03/25/09 07:40 PM Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? [Re: airballrad]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Like airballrad said "IF" your anti virus software is running regularly you should be fine. Both Nortons and Microsoft state "As long as your anti-virus software is up and running you should be fine"

Mike

#170132 - 03/25/09 09:49 PM Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? [Re: kd7fqd]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
In a nutshell, the only reason why a computer is at risk is neglect. If you've maintained your security and/or OS patches, it should be fine for you. Then again, it is amazing the number of people who step out in front of cars without looking every day.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#170172 - 03/26/09 01:13 PM Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? [Re: ironraven]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.