Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170139 - 03/25/09 11:28 PM Home security books/websites?
drahthaar Offline

I am about to purchase a property and want to install a proper security system, exterior lights, etc.

Can anyone recommend some resources I can review?

Thanks.

#170141 - 03/25/09 11:39 PM Re: Home security books/websites? [Re: drahthaar]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I have a 10X camera and motion activated light on the frount of my place, they are run thru a video recorder then if anything happens I can give the sheriff the tape so they can I.D. the low lifes. addtional motion lights are around the house, and other areas.

here is the link, look for "flood cam"
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vt38ac.htm

Edited by big_al (03/25/09 11:55 PM)

#170188 - 03/26/09 07:41 PM Re: Home security books/websites? [Re: big_al]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
"a ninja rolls into the forum..."
-Chris Kavanaugh

As far as online resources go, there's an awful lot out there with respect to DoD, corporate security, etc...you can cull some good information, but you're going to have to wade through a lot that's at best tangentially related to residential security. With that in mind:

Start with Anderson's "Security Engineering" Chapter 11 - Physical Protection

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/book.html

While not necessarily geared toward the setup and installation of a security system, it does give an excellent discussion of the trade-offs of physical security (e.g., missed alarm rate vs. false alarm rate, etc.). This is the backbone of security design 'cause if your world view is flawed, your implementation is going to suffer.

Also check out "NFPA 730: Guide for Premises Security"
"Document Scope: 1.1 Scope. 1.1.1 This guide describes construction, protection, occupancy features, and practices intended to reduce security vulnerabilities to life and property."

NFPA 730 isn't a how-to on security design / setup, but it is a very accessible overview / discussion of what's available to and recommended for a homeowner rather than, say, an Air Force base. A bit of google-fu should turn up a copy.

The article "Alarm design reads true" is decent.
Zwirn, 2003, Alarm design reads true: Security Management, v. 47, no. 4

"Jim Grover's" "Street Smarts, Firearms,and Personal Security" is excellent on many levels. There's only a few chapters that discuss residential security, but I recommend the entire volume even if you never plan to handle a firearm in your lifetime....now if I could only get my girlfriend to read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Smarts-Firearms-Personal-Security/dp/1581600674

Hope this helps.

#170193 - 03/26/09 09:13 PM Re: Home security books/websites? [Re: yelp]
drahthaar Offline

It does help, thank you.

My googling thusfar kept just turning up sites selling alarm systems....

#170197 - 03/26/09 11:20 PM Re: Home security books/websites? [Re: drahthaar]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I've been installing fire alarms and security systems for 18 years now and am NBFAA (Level II) and NICET (Level I) certified.

A good starting point is contacting every opening (windows and doors), then either motion detectors or glassbreak detectors. I prefer motions, but in some cases they are not viable (large pets that roam the house, areas that are not heated/cooled, etc.)

Money comes into play a lot in security systems. I've done everything from 1 door contact on a system all the way up to DOD and UL systems where every square inch of the building is covered. On a DOD or UL certificated systems, you must cover EVERYTHING. As you can guess, those systems are by no means cheap, but they are the best you can put together.

Wireless is coming into it's own nowadays as a very good option if you don't want to have to run wires everywhere. Some brands are better than others. The wireless equipment I've had good experience with would be CADDX/ITI and Ademco/First Alert. Other manufacturers make wireless, but we don't use much else besides those.

The basic system consists of a control panel, one or more keypads, battery, AC transformer, and door contacts. If you go wireless you have to get a wireless receiver of the same brand as your control panel, and wireless transmitters. Wireless costs more than hardwired, but it saves a lot on time/mess when installing the system.

You can get by without a motion in every single room by placing them where they cover large, high-traffic areas like living rooms, hallways, etc. The motions are usually set up where they are off when you are home ("STAY" mode) and on when you are gone ("AWAY" mode).

Anything else you need to know, just ask.

#170203 - 03/27/09 03:06 AM Re: Home security books/websites? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
sodak Offline
Addict

I've always thought that a good system would have motion detectors in the middle of the room pointed towards windows and doors, with streaming video to a server on the internet somewhere. You could log in to see what's happening, and get an alert if something did.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone making these...

#170205 - 03/27/09 03:28 AM Re: Home security books/websites? [Re: sodak]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: sodak
I've always thought that a good system would have motion detectors in the middle of the room pointed towards windows and doors, with streaming video to a server on the internet somewhere. You could log in to see what's happening, and get an alert if something did.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone making these...

We have one technician who does pretty much all of our internet camera work, I don't have a whole lot of experience with setting a system up for internet viewing.

Motions work best when not pointed directly at windows. Probably 95% of all motions commonly used today are infrared-only. Sunlight, as well as heating of the glass in the window can cause false alarms. My preferred placement for motions is in an exterior corner of a room, shooting back toward the center. Hallways are another place where you can get a lot of coverage out of a motion detector with a very low probability of false alarms.

With motion detectors, you're always trying to strike a fine balance of being sensitive enough without being too sensitive and causing false alarms. The higher-end motions use multiple sensors in a single housing, such as microwave and infrared. Both technologies have to trip at the same time in order to generate an alarm condition. These are extremely reliable, but very costly.

#170208 - 03/27/09 04:07 AM Re: Home security books/websites? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'd like to try motion sensors. But with a lumbering 150lb Newfoundland, an 80lb German Shepard, and a Jack Russel Terrier constantly chasing the two cats around I'm afraid our house is a lost cause. The birds are gone now, but they used to add to the ruckus by flying around daring the cats to catch them. I think motion detectors are out until our zoo quiets down! On the other hand, nobody sneaks into our house without causing a tornado of activity and barking. No silent entry here!

#170252 - 03/28/09 03:16 AM Re: Home security books/websites? [Re: haertig]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: haertig
I'd like to try motion sensors. But with a lumbering 150lb Newfoundland, an 80lb German Shepard, and a Jack Russel Terrier constantly chasing the two cats around I'm afraid our house is a lost cause. The birds are gone now, but they used to add to the ruckus by flying around daring the cats to catch them. I think motion detectors are out until our zoo quiets down! On the other hand, nobody sneaks into our house without causing a tornado of activity and barking. No silent entry here!

As long as you have no birds, glassbreak detectors are a good option. They work by picking up the high-frequency sound of glass breaking. Birds seem to cause a lot of problems with them though.

A glassbreak detector is pretty much useless if you don't have the windows contacted though, because it doesn't detect the window being opened, just the glass breaking. Most standard glassbreaks will cover a 25' radius from the device when ceiling-mounted. So you can cover an average-sized room or possibly even more than one room with one detector.

#170292 - 03/29/09 04:09 AM Re: Home security books/websites? [Re: drahthaar]
SAFisher Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: drahthaar
Can anyone recommend some resources I can review?

I discuss this in two posts on my blog:
http://preparednessnow.blogspot.com/2009/03/home-protection.html
http://preparednessnow.blogspot.com/2009/03/ds-of-security.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.