Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170117 - 03/25/09 06:42 PM Alaska trip!
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
As promised, my gear for Alaska. This is overnight gear/emergency, not truly camping. Hence, not a big emphasis on tents, cooking gear, etc.

My bag, a Kelty 3000cubic inch backpack

My e-food: 3 400-cal bars, 3 400-cal drink mixes, 3 freeze-dried dinner entrees. Also seen, my LM kick, new chapstick, and some hand warmers. water bottle not shown.

My shelter: a bivy bag, down 20-degree bag, inflatable seat, and Sportsmans/space blanket.

Clothes: UnderArmor baclava, 100-wt fleece pants and top, 1 pr wool socks, mittens, 1 wool hat.
Ziploc'd and in a drybag (with my down bag)

10 Essentials: map missing (on computer currently), compass and PSP not pictured. Several fire steels, AMK heat sheets and bivy, orange scarf, cordage. i'll have a headlamp and flashlight (probably 2), as well as SAK in my pocket.

So, I have 3 days left. Am I missing anything big?
Edit: you can click the pics to get full size views. Don't strain your eyes. I also have my asthma meds with me, but not pictured. As well as a full size and wrist size compass.

Edited by MDinana (03/25/09 09:57 PM)

#170119 - 03/25/09 07:11 PM Re: Alaska trip! [Re: MDinana]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The pics aren't showing up on my PC. Maybe its just these silly internet filters they have where I work (sigh).

Ken

#170120 - 03/25/09 07:31 PM Re: Alaska trip! [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I can see the pics okay. Must be filters.

#170122 - 03/25/09 07:38 PM Re: Alaska trip! [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Firearm???

RIP OBG

#170124 - 03/25/09 07:44 PM Re: Alaska trip! [Re: MDinana]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Good so far...consider adding another pair of socks, gloves that can fit inside the mittens (heavier than liners, though), a sheath knife suitable for batoning, and a compact folding saw or pocket chainsaw. A billy or cookpot, even if you're not planning on being out for long. Just something to heat water in.

If you have the room, leather gloves or flight gloves - not for insulation, but for working around a fire (wool would be fine if you go that route w/ the mittens).

Somethig to keep in mind is that if a survivor in bush Alaska makes it through the first 24 hours, they're probably going to make it long enough to see SAR, statistically speaking. You've got a good setup.

Just checked weather in Bethel - 17 degrees F with a 28 mph wind...a neck gaiter may be easier to manage than a scarf. In any regard, dress accordingly (like I need to tell a guy in Detroit that).

Edited by yelp (03/25/09 08:00 PM)
Edit Reason: checked local weather

#170126 - 03/25/09 08:34 PM Re: Alaska trip! [Re: yelp]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Nice setup!

I think I'd add the following:
Tinder
Pot or cup for boiling water
Collapsible water carry
Small Saw (since the Kick doesn't have one)
Duct tape (though it appears you might have that?)
water purification

I don't see a whistle, but you mention a PSP, so you seem to have that covered.

Also, it's not pictured that I saw, but I assume you have a small FAK in there...

Looks like fun!

Edit: Oops, I also assume that you will have a dedicated knife, probably sheath vs. folder on you anyway and the Kick is backup. But the firearm (foldable rifle + ammo) is a consideration depending on your situation and trip plans.

Edited by massacre (03/25/09 08:46 PM)

#170129 - 03/25/09 09:38 PM Re: Alaska trip! [Re: MDinana]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
It seems like a good kit to me.
I would add already mentioned tinder, spare socks and gloves, maybe some candle.
Sunglasses could come in handy to prevent snow blidness.

#170131 - 03/25/09 09:47 PM Re: Alaska trip! [Re: raptor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Spare glasses, comm gear ( cell, charger?) personal meds, little sunscreen,

#170134 - 03/25/09 09:56 PM Re: Alaska trip! [Re: raptor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.

I plan on wearing clothes in addition to this smile So, I'll already have gloves and liners on; the mittens are shells only. I know from this past January that my mittens are great down to about 20 degrees, and the shells worked great down to 5 (the coldest I tested them). Great idea on the leather shell or nomex. I'll hit the Army/Navy tomorrow and see what they have.

The baclava is one of the ones that covers head/neck/face. I'll be packing a scarf in addition to that.

Forgot the sheath knife! D'oh! I'll be carrying a small Mora, and probably my new Brusletto knife too. Been debating buying a small sierra saw, but might break down tomorrow. And I have a SAK already mailed to myself, to pick up when I get there.

FAK..D'oh again! My girlfriend has my small day pack; some stuff is in there. It'll get in there before I leave. Same with the whistle (which I think I added already)

Good call on the cup - I have a 1qt. titanium pot I can toss in there, as well as a collapsible platypus canteen (in addition to my metal one)

Tinder is with the sparklight, I even added 5 more pieces, cut in half. Duct tape is already packed (small red roll in last pic)

I decided against bringing a firearm. I'll be housesitting for most of the time, and if they have a firearm, great. If not, well, I'm boned if I need it. Just too much hassle with TSA, extra baggage charges, carrying it with other bags, etc.

Izzy, the drink packs are First Strike Rations. Got them from Brigade HQ when they offered them for a while. And, like you, I'd really like to see them made public too!

#170147 - 03/26/09 12:07 AM Re: Alaska trip! [Re: MDinana]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I agree with Yelp. something to make a cup of somthing hot, even a Esbit stove dosen't weight that much, that it can't be included. Or a pop can stove and alcohol and if you use Ever Clear you will have a after diner drink or more medical supplys smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.