Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#169467 - 03/16/09 02:01 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: Arney]
red Offline

Yup, did it, and yup, the bottom one deformed. 2 high has not been a problem for me. I tried 3 high...no go.

#169501 - 03/16/09 07:26 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: nurit]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: nurit
Another consideration (that may not apply to your situation) is that in my apartment space is tight and water has to be stored near clothing, shoes, books and files. For that reason I want the least possible risk of the containers developing leaks.

Thank you for that observation / consideration, Nurit - I'll be relocating to The City soon and hadn't considered that. Like, at all.

That thanks is extended to all NYC posters, by the way. I'm learning a lot from you.

#169590 - 03/17/09 08:10 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: yelp]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I found a picture of the containers I owned that failed.

Reliance 6g Desert Patrol containers at Amazon

#169592 - 03/17/09 08:16 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: 7point82]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: 7point82
I found a picture of the containers I owned that failed.

Oh, those Desert Patrol jerry cans. Yeah, I've actually read that they aren't very reliable. I've never had any problems with some of Reliance's other products, though, like the Aquatainer or Aqua-Pak. Somehow, I guess they got the design wrong when trying to create a plastic version of the classic jerry can.

#169623 - 03/18/09 01:48 AM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: yelp]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
You're welcome, Yelp. Please keep us posted on your move, and don't hesitate to ask whatever comes to mind.

#169743 - 03/19/09 05:55 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: 7point82]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

FYI,

Here's a pretty good review on different types of water containers

Water Container FAQ

After doing a little more research on different forums, this seems to be the general consensus of the commonly found containers.

Desert Patrol containers from Walmart are notorious for leaking. Almost every review I've read about them mentions leaks.

The translucent polyethlene 2.5 gallon water jugs with the spigot are even worse than the desert patrol. The plastics are biodegradable and meant to break down in about a year (some people say months, others have gone over a year), but it seems like it will happen sooner or later

The blue Reliance aquatainers are pretty reliable, some issues with leaks after being stacked on top of another one (specifically NOT recommended by Reliance if you read their webpage). Some people haven't had problems with stacking, some have. I have them and use them for camping, and they've held up well as long as you're not too rough with it. The spigot makes it very convienent.

The clear polycarbonate containers used for sodas and water are pretty reliable.

The military MFC's are really good, but expensive. I might buy a few to replace the Aquatainers that I currently use for camping. If only they had an on/off spigot like the aquatainers, I think that would be perfect.

#169776 - 03/20/09 01:47 AM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: nurit]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Another consideration (that may not apply to your situation) is that in my
> apartment space is tight and water has to be stored near clothing, shoes,
> books and files.

Yeah, that's a definite money-saver. The Safeway boxes of water would definitely wreck your stuff and do damage to the apartment.

#169777 - 03/20/09 01:51 AM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: Arney]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I'll note that Fold-A-Carrier water jugs have leaked for us after years of use.

Any thing that folds or creases will develop pinhole leaks along the crease eventually. We bought more Fold-A-Carriers because we're satisfied with the service we got from them and because they seem to be worth the money in the face of fairly rough treatment.

#169779 - 03/20/09 02:07 AM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: philip]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I also use Fold-A-Carrier water jugs but for a completely different purpose.

When I am the lone person in aluminum boat with a tiller outboard the nose of the boat is often to to high to allow proper trimming. So I put a full 5 gallon Fold-A-Carrier in the nose of the boat to even out the weight. This is easier than (and not as hard on the boat) putting rocks in the nose and if I carry over to another lake, I just dump out the water and portage the empty jug to fill at the next lake where I have a cached boat.

Fold-A-Carriers are not very tough, but if the leak is in the top, with a sharp knife they can be converted into a folding wash basin.

Mike

#170013 - 03/23/09 11:55 AM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: philip]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Lots of good discussion here giving me much to think about. My move is complete, except for a few items, special fragile items that will get moved in someone's lap or hands. Still have a number of boxes to unpack. My new home state has seen fit to allow me to have certain rights (withholding political comment), by granting me a small laminated piece of paper. And I have a long list of things I need to do getting my new home ready.

Thanks.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.