The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169859 - 03/21/09 01:13 AM Going to LA in May
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Looks like i'm probably going to a Microsoft's geek conference in May and its in LA this year. I've been to LA in the past, but more of flying into LAX then going somewheres other then LA for those visits.

What is there to do in LA, and in particular around the LA Convention Center for a full week? This is of course outside of all the activities that make up the conference ;-)

Looking for shopping (the twins will be born by then so probably need a baby store or two), anything outdoors related (REI, etc), electronics, etc.

Did some looking and found a 'shopping thing' (not sure if its a mall or not) called 'the groves'. Looks to be like 30-40 blocks or so from the Convention Center. Seems like the city is a spread out from the look of it on google maps.

Any 'good' shopping there (not talking about Rodeo Drive... yes I watched Pretty Woman!)? Don't mind spending the $$$ for either cabs or renting a car. Ideas?

Thanks,
Kris

#169861 - 03/21/09 01:30 AM Re: Going to LA in May [Re: Kris]
GeoEarthSensei Offline
Stranger

There have been a couple of threads on Geocaching. Geocaching while on vacation/a trip is a good way to find places that the locals find interesting enough to drag each other to. If you plug the convention center's address into the Google Maps feature on Geocaching.com, you can preview what is around.

#169864 - 03/21/09 01:46 AM Re: Going to LA in May [Re: GeoEarthSensei]
Kris Offline
Addict

That would be fine if I can have a day off, but i'm lucky if I can swing 3 hours of freedom over a series of days.

#169874 - 03/21/09 04:45 AM Re: Going to LA in May [Re: Kris]
RoverOver Offline

Loc: Kali4nya
Hi Kris,You will probably want to go to Fry's Electronics,It's Disneyland for Cyber oriented folk.I Guarantee you will like the place,if you haven't been to one yet.The burbank store would be the Most adjacent to The LA Convention Center.There are plenty of Hiking trails thruout Los Angeles also,if that suits you.The Grove/Farmers Market,of which you referred to is also an Xlnt place for the family,many good stores & Restaraunts,keep your receipts & have them validated at the concierge desk, on your way out.& that will pay your parking!Venice Beach Boardwalk is Highly recommended for all the things to see,i.e. Very weird people,strange sounds,smells,tastes,etc.Parking a couple blocks before the beach,is free or $5,parking at the beach is $12 & Higher.Rent a car,you will have more Freedom that way,Taxis are Expensive,because Los Angeles is VERY spread out, about 80 miles North to South,aprox.40 miles East to West.One of the Few places on Earth,you can Surf & Snow Ski in one day! Plenty of fun,but like any big Metropolitan City,Always Be Aware of your Surroundings,& Keep things locked up,there are no shortages of Opportunists here! Have Fun! RoverOver

#169879 - 03/21/09 06:40 AM Re: Going to LA in May [Re: Kris]
LED Offline
Veteran

Lots of good suggestions so far. The Grove is nice, as it has a newer shopping section as well as the old farmers market with lots of booths serving all types of food, etc. Fry's in Burbank is awesome. One of the last remaining electronics stores with all kinds of stuff. You could build a nice hotrod PC with items they have on the shelf! Venice is interesting/entertaining. Your best bet for an REI store is the one in Santa Monica, just north of Venice. New, big store, and Santa Monica Promenade is another popular outdoor shopping/cafe type area about a block from the beach. You may want to catch the sunset down there if you can. Oh, and don't forget to bring along a jacket/sweater even if its 80-90 degrees out during the day. Once the sun sets the temperature drops pretty quickly. Chinatown isn't spectacular but its next to downtown and has some good restaurants. There's also the jewelry district and lots of great 20's-40's architecture. Downtown is one of the more culture/history rich places in LA. Stick to daylight hours just to play it safe. It can get a bit shady at night, to put it mildly. Oh, and Thursdays there's a nice farmers market downtown next to the City Hall building. I think its from 10am-2pm. Thats all I can think of at the moment, have fun.

#169898 - 03/21/09 04:22 PM Re: Going to LA in May [Re: Kris]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
3 hours or so doesn't get much in LA. Stick to things close to your convention/hotel, or travel and traffic will eat up all your time.

Take your own GPS that is up-to-date. 1999 was the year of my first personal GPS purchase. It was because I got lost in LA and wound up at the corner of Slauson and Crenshaw right as the sun went down.

Yeah, Compton is no place for a tourist after dark.

Too bad OBG isn't around to help out, I miss OBG.....

PS. Don't bother with the beach, Grand Cayman has the beach all sewn up compared to anything on the North American continent.

Edited by Desperado (03/21/09 04:31 PM)

RIP OBG

#169903 - 03/21/09 04:51 PM Re: Going to LA in May [Re: Desperado]
Kris Offline
Addict

Sounds like its going to be the conference then whatever time i have shop for the twins. Basically find the stuff that we can't get here (or get at a decent non-inflated price).

Does anyone know where the nearest mall from the conference center would be? I'm guessing that will be all the time i'll have.

OBG is greatly missed. Its not just for questions like this, but overall. Feels like a presence is missing.

#169912 - 03/21/09 07:21 PM Re: Going to LA in May [Re: Kris]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hey Kris
I grew up all over that area. Rent the car - LA is NOT like New York where there's a cab every 10 seconds. And, yeah, catching a cab for 45 miles (and 2 hours with traffic) will add up REAL quick!

The Groves is nice, as put before - it's overshadowing the Farmer's market, but both are within about a block of each other. Eat at the Market, shop at the Groves. You could also keep venturing along the 10west to Santa Monica, where the Third Street Promenade is. Or, catch 405 North 2 miles and get off at Westwood, and catch the town and UCLA's campus if you feel inclined. All three of these are within, probably, 15 miles of each other.

Good suggestions about downtown. Don't forget Alvera St., the original neighborhood where LA started, along with cheesy Mexican gifts and good Mexican food. It's about 6 blocks from Chinatown. You can catch a Dodger's baseball game while there, since I think the season will be in full swing by then. Also, you can catch the Red Line (a local commuting train line) at Union Station (about a mile from the convention center) and take it out to Pasadena, where Colorado Blvd is nice to shop and eat. Crowded like crazy on the weekends, but easy enough if you take the train to get around. Pasadena is only about 20 minute car drive from the Conv Center, but still have to deal with traffic and parking. Parking, btw, is hit and miss if you have to pay for it or not.

Fry's is fun, but I'd avoid buying anything you aren't willing to take back. Why? Every hard drive I ever bought there needs a replacement or 2 before it works right. Don't get me wrong, it's great for prices, and everything BUT hard drives works great.

Beaches: Santa Monica, Malibu, Venice are all pretty close. Manhattan beach is (I think) a 10 min drive from LAX. Newport and Huntington are about 40 minutes away, but in Orange County and sometimes less crowded. Venice and Huntington are the better selections if you want to window shop for trinkets.

Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm and Magic Mtn. amusement parts are all within easy driving distance.

Wineries, if you're into that, north into Santa Barbara (about 2 hours up 101), or down to the Temecula area (not very quick, but 10 East to 15 South will get you there). It's about 90 miles away.

Museums: Univ. Of Southern Cali. has a GREAT set of museums just minutes south of the conv center on the 110 fwy. Several types (natural, science, health, etc), for cheap or free. Get out before dark, cuz the neighborhood is horrible. The LaBrea Tar Pits are near the Groves (you might smell them on hot days), goodle it for what they have, but it's pretty amazing. Near the Tar Pits are a bunch of LA County museums, ie art, sculpture, etc. The Ghetty Museum is near UCLA, about 20 minutes or so from downtown. Also art oriented. There's the Botanical Gardens out by Pasadena - I forget their name, but the hotel should be able to tell you.
If you need more questions, or have questions when you get there, feel free to PM.

#169926 - 03/21/09 11:25 PM Re: Going to LA in May [Re: MDinana]
Kris Offline
Addict

Thanks for all that info!

#169990 - 03/22/09 11:02 PM Re: Going to LA in May [Re: Kris]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Kris
Thanks for all that info!

No problem. What are the dates in May? I might be out there around the middle/end of the month.

Also forgot to mention Universal Studios Theme Park. Mind you, all these them parks run around $45/day. Knott's sometimes has half price after 5pm. In fact, if you like fried chicken, Knott's has some of the best fried chicken dinners in the LA area- lines regularly run over an hour!

Food: Check out The Hat (lots of branches) for world's best pastrami; In & Out (lots of branches) for arguable some of the best fast food burgers and shakes (ask for "animal style" if you like condiments). Restaurant Row in West LA has, well, restaurants. Ask the hotel for directions. If you like french dips, in downtown there's Felipe's, which is about 2 blocks from both Olvera St and Chinatown.

There's some good hiking in the San Gabriel Mtn range, the Santa Monica "mountains" and in Orange County. If you like desert camping, Joshua tree is about 3 hours away. In fact, the entire LA areas is ringed with mountains, and most of them easily accessible. Mt San Jacinto is a good day hike, as is Mt Baden-Powell. I'd look online for maps and suggestions, cuz there are too many to list.

Forgot to mention, I'd seriously advise to avoid LA south of the 10 Fwy (between the 405 and 710) after dark. Some real shady neighborhoods to get lost in. some folks would advise staying out of East LA too, but I've never had a problem there (that's be between the 10 and 5 Fwys, from about the 10/5 interchange to about Telegraph). Again, take a look at some of the maps online to help orient you: most of the odd-number freeways are east/west, and the even-number are north/south (Hwy 5 and 405 being an exception).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.