Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169887 - 03/21/09 02:17 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: MartinFocazio]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I rarely read this forum. The majority of the topics here don't interest me that much as the other 2 main forums. I could take it or leave it...

#169891 - 03/21/09 02:56 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: Roarmeister]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Um, I'd like to see some more debate about this. What do you see as the problem with the subforum? What will happen if it is closed? Will threads about 5+ days be allowed in the other subforums, or will subjects such as bug-out versus bug-in be off-topic entirely?

I visit a few times a week and hadn't noticed a lot of off-topic posts.

#169894 - 03/21/09 03:32 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: Brangdon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, we can discuss it as much as you want. Here's the bottom line.

The people that are posting there seem to enjoy it. I don't know the volume of complaints you're receiving, so if it is excessive, then shut it down. This whole forum group has been designated as a publicly viewed area used by educators and such so if it is offending in part, then excise the part.

It's up to the owner, not the users. If we didn't want it, we wouldn't use it, so asking if it should be removed seems superfluous. Either make an executive decision, or leave it be. It's really up to you.

I'm not tryng to be critical Martin, just stating what seems obvious. To paraphrase a statement, if it seems like a burden, then it probably is.

#169897 - 03/21/09 04:14 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: MartinFocazio]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Maybe instead of "changing" a post that goes off the rails, just put it in file 13 if that is quicker?

Once someone realizes their post has had the magic eraser applied to it (them), they will re-read the rules and comply.

Edited by Desperado (03/21/09 04:14 PM)

RIP OBG

#169900 - 03/21/09 04:50 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: Desperado]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Why not just close down all the forums? That would solve the problems of having opinions here, and you wouldn't have to worry about politics, gun fans, knife fans, survivalists, aluminum foil hat people, zombies or anything else.

Of course, it would cut down on the advertising for ETS, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sue

#169901 - 03/21/09 04:50 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: barbakane]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
If you kill this forum, the controversy will just move to another. So instead of having to moderate one, you'll get two.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#169907 - 03/21/09 05:06 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: Rodion]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
If ETS wants to grow then the forum shouldn't shrink.

Every forum I've participated in ends up having a broader discussion area because it is normal human behavior for conversations to broaden -- especially as people get to "know" one another and become a community.

The best threads are conversations.

I'm now wondering if I'm a culprit because I posted on Peggy Noonan's column about general anxiety in the populace. That's a fact that's creeping into a lot of conversations these days.

I confess to not regularly reading the rules. Had thought the Armageddon-TEOTWAWKI subject the big bugaboo. Didn't think I'd transgressed in that way but perhaps I slipped on the slippery slope.

Cut this sub-forum and I think ETS is less interesting.

That's my 2 cents, unadjusted for future inflation.

#169911 - 03/21/09 06:07 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: Dagny]
MedB Offline

Hmm, I guess in my mind it comes down to a question of the "vision" of these forums.

If the ETS forums are seen primarily as a community where the members need and want to broaden conversations to suit their mood... then leave it be.

If the ETS forums are seen primarily as a place to educate, then by default they take a "stand" on issues... in this case close it down if needed to curtail unwanted discussions.

Personally, I see ETS as more of a place that educates, passes (appropriate) judgements, and takes a stand on issues. And I think that's a good thing.

Finally, I worry that with all of the uncertainty and fear out there right now, that even people exercising "healthy" discussions here can add to the overall crush of negativity. Not intenionally, but by joining the bandwagon it's an unintended consequence. Perhaps a sharp refocusing right now is not a bad thing...

#169914 - 03/21/09 08:21 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: MartinFocazio]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I'm rather indifferent. I come here for more of a short-term focus. When I'm thinking about long-term scenarios and zombie invasions, I go other places. That said, this is a place for rational discussion without deviations into contentious tangents. I know people appreciate that. I don't know that they have all found other places to discuss long-term considerations.

#169927 - 03/21/09 11:38 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: MartinFocazio]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
One of the main reasons that I started coming to Equipped To Survive is the 99+% civility and great wealth of freely shared quality information that is presented in a positive manner.

It is true that this site is used by people of many different age, cultures and background / educational / life experiences and it is interesting to see other ways of addressing the subjects that are discussed. I generally try to cruise through the various recent threads on all the forums when I have a chance to visit and while I don't always agree with some things that are posted, I respect others rights (and certainly Doug's permitting and facilitating the same) in a civil manner.

It is understood that it can be quite a load on the moderators and fully appreciate the fact that they often handle many things behind the scenes in addition to what we see on the public side of the house.

As for me, I voted to continue and that we can all behave ourselves. In the final analysis, this is Doug's site and he can do or not do anything that he likes in regards to operating it.

Bottom Line for me is that Doug and the Moderators will need to make a call as they see fit. If having their attention and focus is diluted by having to handle too many balls being juggled at the same time, then there are two immediately obvious options, drop the most problematic forum/s and/or add moderators. I have no problems with the moderators going through and locking down and/or excising posts that jump the tracks of civility and forum rules.

In any event, I fully support Doug's ultimate decisions.

Regards,
Comanche7

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.