The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169845 - 03/20/09 08:47 PM A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
OK, I'm sick of chasing posts...we vote to kil or keep LTS subforum - voting closes Sunday night.
The Vote
Only one choice allowed (114 total votes)
Keep it, we can all behave - 92 (81%)
Kill it, the experiment has failed. - 22 (19%)
Voting on this poll ends: 0 seconds ago

Edited by martinfocazio (03/20/09 08:47 PM)

#169849 - 03/20/09 09:35 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: MartinFocazio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Where is the LTS subforum?

#169850 - 03/20/09 09:52 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: Russ]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
This was LTS (Long Term Survival) I believe, but it changed up a bit in name and direction. It's now "Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies".

#169854 - 03/20/09 11:28 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: Nicodemus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Perhaps we should change the name and focus to "increasing your self-sufficiency."

Then we can still talk about good stuff like gardening and water storage and solar panels and generators without going "doomie and loony." (He says, hopefully.)

My $0.02.

#169855 - 03/21/09 12:00 AM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: dougwalkabout]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Perhaps we should change the name and focus to "increasing your self-sufficiency."

Then we can still talk about good stuff like gardening and water storage and solar panels and generators without going "doomie and loony." (He says, hopefully.)

My $0.02.

+2 more cents

#169870 - 03/21/09 04:03 AM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: UncleGoo]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

IMO this place could do with a little more heat. If you want people to bring light you have to be able to deal with some moderate amount of friction, heat and smoke.

That is not to say that it has to be a free-for-all but short of shouting matches and flaming there is the lively debate and normal discussions of the subjects heretofore forbidden. Subjects that tie in with survival if only indirectly. If you want to have people visit often and contribute they have to be able to say what is on their minds and do so without fear as long as they stay within the limits of civil discussion. If you want the good stuff you have to put up with some nominal level of friction and the voicing of strong emotions.

But then again, this isn't my forum so do as you wish.

#169877 - 03/21/09 05:48 AM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: MartinFocazio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'll be honest- no opinion.

The long term items were discussed as part of the general forum just as well as they were on their own. Some people really want them on their own because of concerns that it would swamp the 72 hour kits and the like. I think the fine dividing line will be when is a post on long term preps go into the survival subforum, and when does it fit better in the campfire. I can see things like generators, fuel storage and solar panels in the survival subforum, while gardening goes to the campfire IMHO.

Hard call. I would not say that the experiment has failed. I will say that EVERY prepardness forum mod's job is harder right now than I'd like it to be- it is a nutty season.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#169878 - 03/21/09 05:49 AM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: Art_in_FL]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Maybe another moderator or two could help if you feel overwhelmed?

#169883 - 03/21/09 11:37 AM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: frediver]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I like the LTS and very much enjoy reading. Maartin, if it is too much to handle, perhaps an aditional or differen't Moderator is needed.

#169885 - 03/21/09 01:27 PM Re: A Vote to Keep or KIll LTS Sub Forum [Re: Stu]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
As a newbie, there is a wealth of information available in the LTS area. Granted it's available in books, other forums, what have you...but I joined this site because it seemed the most informative, mature, and down-to-earth. There may be a surge in like minded people lately, (I'd like to know the number of new people like myself who have joined just this year). It's not so much the economic times, just a desire to be more prepared. Living in Florida, preparedness is always on my mind, so any wisdom I can absorb from the sages is very welcome.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.